HAHAHA!!!

BillsNYC

One thing I always wondered is where do you draw the line on "stepping on something to kill it"?

I mean, if you saw an ant crawl across your living room, you would step on it, or "squish" it with a tissue, without a second thought.

But what about a lady bug? Just because they are more aesthetically pleasing than a cockroach, we decide we will open a window and let them out? What kind of crap is that?

And then living down here, you see more small lizards than you do insects. I was at a friends house and a tiny little lizard was in her kitchen. I told her to just step on it, and she said "oh my god, no!"... Now, was that simply because it would cause more "guts" to spew out? Or did she dismiss the idea of stepping on it because it is higher on the food chain, or perhaps because it would feel more pain?

Now, say a mouse is in your house. Now we're talking mammal. Sure, you'll set a trap. But given the chance, (and assuming they aren't so damn fast this would be impossible), would you stomp in the little sucker with your boot and kill it? Why not? You would if it was an ant or a cockroach.

Just some food for thought... Comments?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I always wondered is where do you draw the line on "stepping on something to kill it"?

I mean, if you saw an ant crawl across your living room, you would step on it, or "squish" it with a tissue, without a second thought.

But what about a lady bug? Just because they are more aesthetically pleasing than a cockroach, we decide we will open a window and let them out? What kind of crap is that?

And then living down here, you see more small lizards than you do insects. I was at a friends house and a tiny little lizard was in her kitchen. I told her to just step on it, and she said "oh my god, no!"... Now, was that simply because it would cause more "guts" to spew out? Or did she dismiss the idea of stepping on it because it is higher on the food chain, or perhaps because it would feel more pain?

Now, say a mouse is in your house. Now we're talking mammal. Sure, you'll set a trap. But given the chance, (and assuming they aren't so damn fast this would be impossible), would you stomp in the little sucker with your boot and kill it?  Why not?  You would if it was an ant or a cockroach.

195425[/snapback]

It's a judgement call with me. I try to respect life but health and safety of me and the family come first. I used to kill for the thrill but age has softened me up a tad. :)

195425[/snapback]

WRT ladybugs, a.) they let out a stink when you squash them, and b.) they eat other bugs. That's why I don't squash them.

And to your "food for thought" line, squashing lizards and mice ruins the meat. :)

It's a judgement call with me.  I try to respect life but health and safety of me and the family come first. I used to kill for the thrill but age has softened me up a tad. :)

195429[/snapback]

So, to be serious for a sec, you judge in soley on "amount of guts" that would be expelled?