Predicting who will fill all of these NFL head coaching vacancies

Estro

Before we start wildly guessing what coaches are going to end up in what cities, let's first do a little research.

What teams are after new head coaches and who do they have their eyes on?:

Buffalo Bills - Ken Whisenhunt, Ray Horton, Lovie Smith, Mike McCoy, Doug Marrone, Chip Kelly, Hue Jackson, Jim Haslett

Philadelphia Eagles - Chip Kelly, Mike Nolan, Greg Roman, Mike McCoy, Doug Marrone, Mike Zimmer

Cleveland Browns - Chip Kelly, Nick Saban, Ray Horton, Doug Marrone, Ken Whisenhunt

San Diego Chargers - Lovie Smith, Andy Reid, Bruce Arians

Kansas City Chiefs - Andy Reid

Chicago Bears - Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians

Arizona Cardinals - Ray Horton, Todd Haley, Andy Reid, Mike McCoy

So here are my predictions:

Bills - Seems like Ken Whisenhunt is an early favorite. I'm not sure he fits the role of exciting, new, progressive forward thinking, but he's a former Pitt guy (Whaley likes), experienced NFL head coach (Buddy likes) and that Russ has been reported as liking him, so he might be the pick.

Eagles - Sounds like they're hot for Chip Kelly, but I think they'll swing and miss, like the Bills. I have the feeling they'll favor a defensive-minded coach and for that reason I think it'll be Mike Nolan, although a long playoff run by the Falcons will hurt his candidacy. BTW, evem though he stunk in San Fran I think Nolan is a great coach. His defenses are always excellent. See what he did with Atlanta this year.

Browns - Chip Kelly, 100%. They have purposelly waited to hire a GM so that they can offer Chip anything he wants. Joe Banner and Jimmy Haslam will get the guy they covet.

Chargers - They haven't even truly begun the process, as they're looking to hire a GM first before their coaching search officially gets underway. If I had to guess though, I'd say they'll favor an offensive minded guy who can get the most out of whatever Rivers has left in the tank.........and that guy might be Bruce Arians.

Chiefs - If you're to believe Adam Schefter's team sources, which 2 days ago said Reid to the Cardinals is a 95% done deal, then I guess we should believe him this time when it's being reported that Andy Reid beoming the Chiefs next coach is imminent.

Bears - They're offense is the main complaint in Chicago land so they might just be leaning for an innovative offensive mind. Seems like the young, hot, offensive mind this go around is Mike McCoy.

Cardinals - Well I've already placed Reid and McCoy with other teams, so that leaves me Ray Horton or Todd Haley. Haley was a disaster in KC, so I don't understand the interest in him as a HC, but maybe they're bringing him in to see if he'd be interested in playing OC under their new HC, Ray Horton, who all Cardinals fans seem to really like.

So there is my, throw a dart at a board, guess for how the chips may fall.

What are your thoughts?

For full disclosure Whisenhunt or even Lovie Smith don't do much at all to excite me. I'd probably lean Lovie, only because I'm so sick of watching a pathetic defense, and that's his forte. Although the thought of a Lovie Smith led offense is also very scary, so neither scenario is all that encouraging. Chip Kelly would excite, that's for sure, but I think the Cleveland Browns situation will be much, much more favorably viewed by Kelly once he gets the chance to sit down with Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner.

Nice summary. Is this the first year that Bill Cowher is not on anyone's list? Actually, Cowher to Chicago would be a great move. He already has a QB and a good running game and a great WR. He can bring the necessary toughness that team lacks.

What does Reid going to the Chiefs say about Kolb???

I think the Bears do the dumb thing and hire the guy who Peyton Manning tells what plays he is going to call.

Chip Kelly in Philadelphia will be an unmitigated disaster. He hates the media asking him questions. The papers and radio shows will love him for about 6 weeks and then it will all go to hell.

I think there is still a chance when the dust settles that Jerry Jones fires Garrett and brings in Gruden if he doesn't end up in San Diego. Cowher won't go there because he wants roster control.

What does Reid going to the Chiefs say about Kolb???

I think the Bears do the dumb thing and hire the guy who Peyton Manning tells what plays he is going to call.

Chip Kelly in Philadelphia will be an unmitigated disaster. He hates the media asking him questions. The papers and radio shows will love him for about 6 weeks and then it will all go to hell.

I think there is still a chance when the dust settles that Jerry Jones fires Garrett and brings in Gruden if he doesn't end up in San Diego. Cowher won't go there because he wants roster control.

If Horton is really that hot candidate, then I just don't see Arizona letting him go especially considering that Reid (their first choice) will sign with the Chiefs. That leaves Lovie, Wisenhunt or McCoy to the Bills (Assuming Kelly goes to Philadelphia). Will Chicago make a run for an offensive minded coach like McCoy or Wisenhunt. Where do the Browns stand in all this. Is Maronne their first choice?

I would love to have Lovie Smith. Alot of people like a "progressive" offensive coach, but those type of teams don't win championships. Gailley ran a "progressive" spread offense and see how that worked out. The Bills invested alot of money in there defense it's time to get our moneys worth.Then give the ball to Spiller twenty plus carries.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Browns - Chip Kelly, 100%. They have purposelly waited to hire a GM so that they can offer Chip anything he wants. Joe Banner and Jimmy Haslam will get the guy they covet.

I don't get why people are talking like the Browns are going to get whoever they want. Correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be much talent on the roster besides Richardson and Joe Haden. They used a first round pick last year on a QB that will turn 30 next year and they play in a really tough division. I guess having a new owner and being able to pick a GM helps but I just don't understand why people are acting like this is the best job available. Bills, Chargers and Eagles all seem like better jobs to me.