Good News on the Overweight Front

"In a finding that could undermine many New Year's resolutions, a new government study shows that people who are overweight are less likely to die in any given period than people of normal weight. Even those who are moderately obese don't have a higher-than-normal risk of dying..."

Read more @:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323635504578215801377387088.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

I Didnt read it but its probably just a numbers thing. The majority of people in the world especially Americans are overweight so that lumps in just about everybody. And of the people that are underweight, you add in the really sick diseases like AIDS, Cancer, etc, and you have many underweight people dying prematurely. Just an observation without reading a thing.

I'm glad you said that.

Because I've been quite worried about you.

You seem like you haven't been eating well lately.

Mrags, you asked for it:

lol. This made me smile. Anyone that doesn't like Rome can suck it

I Didnt read it but its probably just a numbers thing. The majority of people in the world especially Americans are overweight so that lumps in just about everybody. And of the people that are underweight, you add in the really sick diseases like AIDS, Cancer, etc, and you have many underweight people dying prematurely. Just an observation without reading a thing.

The quote in the first post is very generic. I've seen it a few times now with certain conditions where being overweight is protective when compared to normal weight. What isn't stated in that quote though is that obesity still leads to increased risk in most cases. Like you, I didn't read either, but the thing that comes to mind immediately here is money. I'm willing to bet that the overweight group has the highest income of the three. Then again, I'm sure they adjusted for this.

The quote in the first post is very generic. I've seen it a few times now with certain conditions where being overweight is protective when compared to normal weight. What isn't stated in that quote though is that obesity still leads to increased risk in most cases. Like you, I didn't read either, but the thing that comes to mind immediately here is money. I'm willing to bet that the overweight group has the highest income of the three. Then again, I'm sure they adjusted for this.

theres tons of adjustments they could make for these types of statistics. It's really no different than football or sports in general IMO. For example, we all know Chan sucks, his record sucked, his time management, play calling, player management, personnel decisions, gametime decisions all sucked when he was here. But there's always the people that will bring up how he managed to provide decent numbers on offense statistically when he was here.

It's really no different with these type of reports. They can all be skewed in any way you want.

Like I said, the skinny people are sickly people, drug addicts, homeless, etc... So they should die earlier right?

The fat people are out of shape, overweight, have high blood pressure, higher chance of stroke, heart attack, diabetes, etc... So they should be right?

Why don't we just let people live the way they want and who the hell cares? Sure, some people want to inform others of their potential life choices and mistakes. Most likely it's skewed to sell products. Like weight gainer, weight loss, vitamins, etc...

As individuals, we need to fight the crap of the media. They Didnt worry about this stuff when my parents were growing up. We've become weak as a society. We've become permanently stupid and dependent on computers, tests, opinions of others, Etc...

Enjoy.

Edited by mrags

theres tons of adjustments they could make for these types of statistics. It's really no different than football or sports in general IMO. For example, we all know Chan sucks, his record sucked, his time management, play calling, player management, personnel decisions, gametime decisions all sucked when he was here. But there's always the people that will bring up how he managed to provide decent numbers on offense statistically when he was here.

It's really no different with these type of reports. They can all be skewed in any way you want.

Like I said, the skinny people are sickly people, drug addicts, homeless, etc... So they should die earlier right?

The fat people are out of shape, overweight, have high blood pressure, higher chance of stroke, heart attack, diabetes, etc... So they should be right?

So I read the article now and it appears to be a meta analysis, combining results from several different studies. Overweight is compared directly to normal weight, so there aren't any underweight people skewing that. It's also one of the higher level journals, so it would have been much more thoroughly reviewed than it would have been at the TSW Journal of Medicine.

The article goes on to caution that it is "overweight" being the key word. It says that obese people have a 29% GREATER risk of having issues.

As individuals, we need to fight the crap of the media. They Didnt worry about this stuff when my parents were growing up. We've become weak as a society. We've become permanently stupid and dependent on computers, tests, opinions of others, Etc...

Enjoy.

I hear what you are saying... YET, life expectancy has been climbing, no? Sure there are other factors to that... But, take the parent's comment... My father was raised on black bread and lard... Yes, LARD... What's that? Pure fat? Anyway, if he had been born 10 years earlier... Heck maybe even 5 years earlier... His cardiovascular disease may have killed him by now. What I am getting @ is that there should be a happy medium... Do not go back to the days where nobody cared and took things as they came OR get so wrapped up in the minutia of being "fit." Look where that got a guy like Steve Jobs... He put off conventional treatment for his issue @ first... That is what I took from the article, a happy medium.

It's also one of the higher level journals, so it would have been much more thoroughly reviewed than it would have been at the TSW Journal of Medicine.

LoL...