Warm Fuzzies Over Televised Gay PDA

If I were to accept the premise of your argument, than that would also mean that I also accept that homosexual activity shouldn't occur. Your argument is that one is more "acceptable" than the other. That doesn't make sense, it's either acceptable or not. The idea of treating one sect of the society with a different set of rules than another is discriminatory.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it's a big deal, but actually, I don't see the explanation of "rooting for gays"

I generally pull for people who I think are in the right to prevail; you could call that rooting for them to succeed. However, there are a lot of groups that I tend to stop supporting when they go too far. The writer of this article popped wood over this & gushed over how wonderful it is that we live in a society that is so "tolerant" that gay PDA is thrust in your face. I don't really give a **** about the kiss itself so much as the reaction. And that kind of "in your face, we're here & we're queer, we're going to make a show of it, & you're going to like it" business goes beyond the concept of live & let live that I can wholly support & moves into the realm of imposition.

It's just like how I really can't root for any kind of black movement because even though I agree that as a whole the black community has gotten the shaft and deserves equal rights & freedoms, the "cause" has moved beyond that to something untenable that asks not for freedom from oppression but rather seeks to impose its will on and demonize others - essentially turned into "people who looked like you !@#$ed over people who look like me & now you owe me." Therefore I cannot "root" for them in the advancement of their cause.

I hope this helps.

Imagine explaining it to your child. (And I'm speaking generally here, not necessarily to this specific incident. Explaining why a man & woman kissed is easy. Why two men are kissing takes a whole different level of understanding on the part of a child who's trying to make sense of something they really can't relate to and are just beginning to comprehend and constructing a world view about.

It's easy. The two men are in a relationship and they like to kiss.

Don't conflate the two topics. Just because the sight of two men kissing is a turn off for straight men, doesn't mean it's a hard explanation to the kids.

I generally pull for people who I think are in the right to prevail; you could call that rooting for them to succeed. However, there are a lot of groups that I tend to stop supporting when they go too far. The writer of this article popped wood over this & gushed over how wonderful it is that we live in a society that is so "tolerant" that gay PDA is thrust in your face. I don't really give a **** about the kiss itself so much as the reaction. And that kind of "in your face, we're here & we're queer, we're going to make a show of it, & you're going to like it" business goes beyond the concept of live & let live that I can wholly support & moves into the realm of imposition.

It's just like how I really can't root for any kind of black movement because even though I agree that as a whole the black community has gotten the shaft and deserves equal rights & freedoms, the "cause" has moved beyond that to something untenable that asks not for freedom from oppression but rather seeks to impose its will on and demonize others - essentially turned into "people who looked like you !@#$ed over people who look like me & now you owe me." Therefore I cannot "root" for them in the advancement of their cause.

I hope this helps.

It does, personally, I just believe you are internally coping with gays having a larger voice than they use to. I may be wrong, and it's not meant to be offensive, that's just what I believe.

If I were to accept the premise of your argument, than that would also mean that I also accept that homosexual activity shouldn't occur. Your argument is that one is more "acceptable" than the other. That doesn't make sense, it's either acceptable or not. The idea of treating one sect of the society with a different set of rules than another is discriminatory.

Not so. There's nothing wrong with you jacking off. Doing it flagrantly in public...

(And just to reiterate I'm discussing this broadly, not just in reference to the gay bowlers - I already said I didn't see the kiss.)

Should we make our world over to guarantee that everything in it is easily understood by a child?

No, people should just have the common courtesy to act appropriately.

It does, personally, I just believe you are internally coping with gays having a larger voice than they use to. I may be wrong, and it's not meant to be offensive, that's just what I believe.

I could care less about that. I'm not really offended by much that people do as long as it isn't imposed on others.

Not so. There's nothing wrong with you jacking off. Doing it flagrantly in public...

(And just to reiterate I'm discussing this broadly, not just in reference to the gay bowlers - I already said I didn't see the kiss.)

No, people should just have the common courtesy to act appropriately.

Actually, that's not what you were implying.

you responded to KD about this part of his post

but there is no justification to say that PDAs for gay people is any more or less appropriate than PDAs for straight people.

Then you responded with this

\

How do you figure? Can we stop paying homage to political correctness & just be real? EVERYONE, gays included, understands that there is a fundamental difference here. It's kind of like saying there's no difference between a woman wearing a bikini & a man wearing a Speedo - the Speedo is far more offensive.

In other words, you were saying that one is more acceptable than the other. Right?

Can't believe nobody else has brought this up, but that was barely a peck. I've seen men kiss their mother more passionately. Hardly PDA in my opinion.

geez I just took a look at it now after reading your comment Sage, WTF Rob from your outrage I thought it was some type of frenching, grinding, gay fest, - Gay? that encounter doesn't even rate Italian .

Actually, that's not what you were implying.

you responded to KD about this part of his post

Then you responded with this

\

In other words, you were saying that one is more acceptable than the other. Right?

As far as doing it publicly, yes. It may not be PC but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the negative affect it has on others is objectively different.

If it helps you to wrap your mind around it, I'm personally much more affected by people who chew with their mouth open. It may not be rational but it drives me insane. I don't think there is anything wrong with chewing with one's mouth open when alone. In fact, if alone it makes no difference. But if you're in earshot of me it makes a big difference.

geez I just took a look at it now after reading your comment Sage, WTF Rob from your outrage I thought it was some type of frenching, grinding, gay fest, - Gay? that encounter doesn't even rate Italian .

Dude, I've addressed this at least twice now in the thread. I didn't see the f'n kiss, I just read the article and I'm irritated by the writer.

That's cool... That's your view and you're entitled to it... However

That statement still stands

I didn't see the kiss. I just read the article and it pissed me off. The gist of the article, that the bowler seemed to endorse, is that it's wonderful that gay PDA is becoming accepted and displayed on TV. I really don't get what's so unreasonable or "intolerant" about my stance on this.

How do you figure? Can we stop paying homage to political correctness & just be real? EVERYONE, gays included, understands that there is a fundamental difference here. It's kind of like saying there's no difference between a woman wearing a bikini & a man wearing a Speedo - the Speedo is far more offensive.

Your ignorance and intolerance shine through so brightly here. You got mad at something that you didn't see but the reporting of it is enough to make you upset?! Add in the "almost knocked a guy's block off for making out with his gf on New Year's Eve and methinks you may have a bit of an anger problem. As for a man wearing a speedo being offensive - wtf? seriously how in the world is that offensive? Is it because you like to see women in bikinis that makes it okay but your homophobia (and make no mistake about it this is homophobia at it's finest/worst) makes speedo's offensive? I hope this thread is a joke or else my opinion of you has taken a serious nose dive.

Imagine explaining it to your child. (And I'm speaking generally here, not necessarily to this specific incident. Explaining why a man & woman kissed is easy. Why two men are kissing takes a whole different level of understanding on the part of a child who's trying to make sense of something they really can't relate to and are just beginning to comprehend and constructing a world view about.

Your 5 year old is awake at midnight on New Year's Eve and it is other people's responsibility to make sure no difficult situation arises from that? Alcohol, drugs, sexuality, etc are all things that can and will happen that night but homosexuality is the thing you don't want to have to explain to a 5 year old? Wow.

As for explaining a man and woman kissing being easy what is your answer? Procreation and baby making? Or is that they love each other because that would explain a male on male or female on female kiss (quite easily I might add).

Edited by section122

Your ignorance and intolerance shine through so brightly here. You got mad at something that you didn't see but the reporting of it is enough to make you upset?! Add in the "almost knocked a guy's block off for making out with his gf on New Year's Eve and methinks you may have a bit of an anger problem. As for a man wearing a speedo being offensive - wtf? seriously how in the world is that offensive? Is it because you like to see women in bikinis that makes it okay but your homophobia (and make no mistake about it this is homophobia at it's finest/worst) makes speedo's offensive? I hope this thread is a joke or else my opinion of you has taken a serious nose dive.

Your 5 year old is awake at midnight on New Year's Eve and it is other people's responsibility to make sure no difficult situation arises from that? Alcohol, drugs, sexuality, etc are all things that can and will happen that night but homosexuality is the thing you don't want to have to explain to a 5 year old? Wow.

As for explaining a man and woman kissing being easy what is your answer? Procreation and baby making? Or is that they love each other because that would explain a male on male or female on female kiss (quite easily I might add).

Explain the ignorance part to me? And the intolerance too. Seems to me you're intolerant of anyone who views this issue differently from you.

And come on, man. Everyone knows the only time you wear a speedo is for comedy or swim meets.

Edit: I have struggled for years w/ anger problems (which is strange b/c I'm a very chill guy most of the time). Certain things just set me off. Strangely enough, Wayne Dyer has helped me immensely on that front.

Edited by Rob's House

Why do I have to "root" for gays, again?

They seem to be doing OK.

True....as a group they seem to have issues and burdens to deal with (societal, financial, etc.).

Welcome to the club, gays.

Edited by RkFast

i don't like pda's either. reminds me of a kid in high school who always found the most public places to make out. wasn't like everyone didn't know he was getting plenty with the prettiest girls. he just had to remind everyone frequently. at our 25th reunion there he was, in the restaurant parking lot doing it in public view with a divorcee. bizarre and pathetic really. but, i must admit, most of us in high school would've liked to have been in his shoes, just more privately. sort of the real life "jack and dianne" story. as far as same sex pda, i must admit, i have a visceral repulsion. it's not cognizant or intentional. i'm certain it's conditioned but isn't likely to change. even on media, i turn my head or change the station, a tactic i recommend to rob.

The PDA is OK. Who cares?

Whats silly and hypocritical is what goes on at those "pride" events. Nudity, absolutely insane costumes and often obscene behavior.

Then its..."youre against these events becuase youre...a HOMOPHOBE!!!!"

No...Im "against those events" becuase half the crowd is acting and looking like a vulgar disgusting piece of trash while walking down the main drag of the town, regardless of who they !@#$.

Edited by RkFast

http://sports.yahoo....-233141613.html

This kind of **** really burns me up. I have no problem with gay people being gay, or living a gay lifestyle; it has no effect on me whatsoever, and I don't even care if they want to get married. But gay PDA is not the same as straight PDA, neither of which is terribly appropriate.This douche bag writer gets a warm fuzzy feeling watching two guys make out (he probably scurried to nearest bathroom stall and rubbed one out after seeing this) but I could do without his feel good "open mindedness".

For the record, I considered drilling a guy in the face on New Years for making out with a girl in front of my kid. Get a !@#$ing room. And just because you like to push another dude's stool in does not free you from the limitations inherent in a polite society.

When I read your comments before watching the video I expected to see a heavy makeout session like in the back of a 54 Chevy at a drivein theatre. In reality it was a quick peck and hug. I think your over reacting to it.

http://sports.yahoo....-233141613.html

This kind of **** really burns me up. I have no problem with gay people being gay, or living a gay lifestyle; it has no effect on me whatsoever, and I don't even care if they want to get married. But gay PDA is not the same as straight PDA, neither of which is terribly appropriate.This douche bag writer gets a warm fuzzy feeling watching two guys make out (he probably scurried to nearest bathroom stall and rubbed one out after seeing this) but I could do without his feel good "open mindedness".

For the record, I considered drilling a guy in the face on New Years for making out with a girl in front of my kid. Get a !@#$ing room. And just because you like to push another dude's stool in does not free you from the limitations inherent in a polite society.

First off, I am going to use that underlined portion somwhere, that is pretty funny. Second, when did Rob's House become all enthralled with "politeness?"