College Coaches = Less NFL Risk Because of Recent Rules

Author, NFL writer, scholar of NFL coaches and Syracuse alum Gary Myers "Coaching Confidential, Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches" believes that college coaches are more likely to succeed in the NFL because of recent rules favoring the offense.

"Basically you have a passing game more like two-hand touch than NFL football" he is quoted as saying this morning on Chicago sports talk radio. "You just can't touch the receivers any more" he mentions. The NY based NFL columnist witnesses the boom of successful college coaches in the NFL and believes it isn't just because they are exceptional coaches. It is a combination of NFL experience, college coaching success and today's pass happy league (allowed by the rule changes) that greatly reduces the risk for NFL teams to consider hiring college coaches.

He did mention that the success stories do seem to have NFL experience- e.g. Harbaugh, Carroll and Schiano.

All of a sudden Doug Marrone coming to the Bills ain't looking half bad.

One of the things that is happening in football is that more NFL offenses are borrowing from the college game and for many years now, college offenses have aspired towards the complexity of the NFL offenses.

While the gap still exists, it's arguably smaller than it has been.

I believe that's the biggest reason you're seeing more success from rookie QBs.

The NFL game and the college game have recently grown more similar.

I was thinking about starting a thread on the same topic. It's very interesting.

Years ago, college style offenses would have never worked in the NFL.

Today, you have the spread having huge success with most of the league's high powered offenses.

This year, the read-option started taking off with Washington and Seattle.

Even the wild cat seems to be sticking around.

Players without much experience under center or in traditional pro-style offenses - Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, RGIII, Russell Wilson - are having quick transitions to the NFL and are proving to be successful.

It definitely makes me more optimistic about the idea of landing someone like Chip Kelly.

In the past it would have been a terrible idea to consider someone without ANY experience on an NFL sideline.

With the changes mentioned above, this might actually put Buffalo at the forefront of a new movement in the NFL.

He raises an interesting point but one thing that will NEVER change is the sheer size, speed, and athletic skill differential between college and the pros.

The streets are littered with college coaches with no previous pro experience who failed in the NFL. Not saying it's impossible, just that history doesn't show them having success.

GO BILLS!!!

What about headsets in the Qb's helmets? That's gotta help them transistion.

I guess it could help but I'm thinking if you're an NFL QB wearing a play pad on your wrist, the only difference is that the plays get in more quickly.

They're radioed into the huddle in the pros while they're signaled in college.