Christie hurling bombs at Boehner...

dayman

Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the recent trends. Bush won 43% of the latino vote, at that time, the latino vote made up less than 10% of the total electorate. 2008 McCain won 33% of the total latino vote, which made up close to 13% of the total electorate, and Romney won around 28% of the latino vote, which made up over 15% of the total electorate.

That's an increase of 50% for latino turnout relative to the rest of the electorate, and when you look at the sharp drop off in % of Latinos voting for R's, then that is a huge red flag. I spoke about this at length, well before you ever came to this board. I warned the immigration hardliners on this board well before the election, and they didn't want to accept that reality. Well, it happened.

Reality is that latinos are going to make up close to a quarter of the electorate within 15 years. Considering not just the growing latino electorate, but the trends for who they've been voting for (The D's), and you couple that with blacks who uniformly vote for D's, you better look to adopt policies, or at the very least become a more inclusive party or the math will catch up, which it already has begun.

So yes, demographics do matter and anyone who denies this is denying reality.

No one denies that. My point is that there is nothing that makes my point mutually exclusive from yours.

There is no reason, none at all, that the latino population shouldn't fully embrace libertarianism. None.

People are people.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one denies that. My point is that there is nothing that makes my point mutually exclusive from yours.

There is no reason, none at all, that the latino population shouldn't fully embrace libertarianism. None.

People are people.

Ok, you go ahead and sell that to the black population.

What kind of question is that? What are you exactly asking?

If the ACA didn't pass, what would B-Large have done? Do you have any suggestions? You slam him for his position. He explains why he holds said position. You then you say: "I never implied that you were a leach [sp]." Does this mean the ACA has merit? I bet there are many like B-Large.

Ok, you go ahead and sell that to the black population.

I'll sell it to the black population in 100 years, after we're 7 or 8 generations removed from the civil rights era, and everyone who lived through actual institutional racism is long since dead. Latinos are not a homogenous group. They don't have a shared history of slavery, jim crow, and civil rights violations.

That comparison is beyond silly.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

You said "People are people" and I simply and accurately pointed to you how absurd that comment by providing an example that People aren't simply just people. The younger latino population are becoming a homogenous group, all you have to do is look at the exit polls of the past two elections to see it. Also, you don't believe that the rigid hard liners from the perspective of latinos aren't violating their civil rights. From their perspective, they see the Arizona immigration laws as a shot across the bow against latinos, a form of profiling. I'm not arguing that is the case, but that is the way they perceive things. So again, the point is to be more inclusive to Latinos, or suffer the consequences and become a more left leaning country.

Edited by Magox

If the ACA didn't pass, what would B-Large have done? Do you have any suggestions? You slam him for his position. He explains why he holds said position. You then you say: "I never implied that you were a leach [sp]." Does this mean the ACA has merit? I bet there are many like B-Large.

People can support whatever they want to support, that's their choice. But you can't credibly say that you are a proponent of small government and then at the same time support a massive entitlement that drastically expands Medicaid and subsidies for health insurance for those that make under $60k a year.

The point that he's bringing up has very little to do with what I was saying, he's talking about the clause that allows for people with pre existing medical conditions thats in the ACA. There are many ways of helping solve this issue without having to pass the bill that was passed. There's a difference.

Here is one existing solution and it works incredibly well for many people. How about just expanding this program?

https://www.pcip.gov/

Latino youth def. identify together more than separate as do Asian. Maybe Cuban is the exception...that's just my perception of course...anyone can disagree in good faith.

Even cubans are beginning to vote more Democratic, thanks to the youth. They don't have the same qualms against Castro as their parents do. All one has to do is look at the exit polls of Florida and you will see that Obama lost the cuban vote in the single digits. That is unheard of. Why? Because of the youth.

Even cubans are beginning to vote more Democratic, thanks to the youth. They don't have the same qualms against Castro as their parents do. All one has to do is look at the exit polls of Florida and you will see that Obama lost the cuban vote in the single digits. That is unheard of. Why? Because of the youth.

True or not all I'm saying is Cubans sort of hold out from the grouping into the Latino community as a whole..some do....some just stick to Cuban and many just consider themselves "white"

^^of course I say this from my experience simply b/c I live in Florida and know many half-Cuban people who hold on to little to no hispanic culture and also have few outward physical traits that distinguish them at all...many of my friends in college laugh that they got to pencil themselves in on their applications as hispanic given they don't think of themselves as a minority^^...once again just my experience.

Edited by SameOldBills

Well yeah, they typically vote for Conservatives because of Castro. However, the children of many of these people who fled Cuba don't relate to the experiences their parents have had. They have become Americanized, living in urban areas such as Miami, and they relate socially much more with D's than R's.