Ray Lewis set to retire after this season

My appreciation of Lewis is tainted by the murder charge in 2004. Always seemed like it got swept under the rug because he is Ray Lewis. Sorry.

PTR

So a case with zero evidence against him is just a case getting swept under the rug? His mistake was not initially coming forward with all he knew about the events, but no evidence of any kind was ever brought forward actually linking Ray to the stabbings. If you were with your friends at a bar and one of your friends stabbed someone, does that make you a murderer? No...it does not. And I can assure you that Ray does more for other people in a week than anyone on this board has probably done over their entire life.

So a case with zero evidence against him is just a case getting swept under the rug? His mistake was not initially coming forward with all he knew about the events, but no evidence of any kind was ever brought forward actually linking Ray to the stabbings. If you were with your friends at a bar and one of your friends stabbed someone, does that make you a murderer? No...it does not. And I can assure you that Ray does more for other people in a week than anyone on this board has probably done over their entire life.

Lets also not pretend they randomly decided to look at him. His suit disappearing may be that evidence you cite need for.... But it's gone. Having friends that would stab someone is a nasty mistake too that you neglect if he wasn't involved.

Truly, no idea what happened that night but justified to wonder.

he seems like it woke him up though and that's the best you can hope for from that day forward

Edited by NoSaint

My appreciation of Lewis is tainted by the murder charge in 2004. Always seemed like it got swept under the rug because he is Ray Lewis. Sorry.

PTR

I always held that against him until I heard an interview with him last season.

It was one of the most impressive interviews I've ever heard from a professional athlete.

And yes, I do believe that people can redeem themselves.

Lets also not pretend they randomly decided to look at him. His suit disappearing may be that evidence you cite need for.... But it's gone. Having friends that would stab someone is a nasty mistake too that you neglect if he wasn't involved.

Truly, no idea what happened that night but justified to wonder.

he seems like it woke him up though and that's the best you can hope for from that day forward

The suit wasn't evidence that he stabbed someone, just evidence he was involved in an altercation. His involvement in an altercation does not implement him for murder. There was no evidence he took a knife and stabbed someone, and that is what he was accused of initially. He was guilty of trying to help his friends and told them to say nothing, which he later owned up to and plead guilty to obstruction of justice. But again, no evidence of any kind ever surfaced even suggesting he stabbed someone.

He has since dedicated his life to elevating the lives of others and committed himself to redemption unlike any person I have ever seen.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The suit wasn't evidence that he stabbed someone, just evidence he was involved in an altercation. His involvement in an altercation does not implement him for murder. There was no evidence he took a knife and stabbed someone, and that is what he was accused of initially. He was guilty of trying to help his friends and told them to say nothing, which he later owned up to and plead guilty to obstruction of justice. But again, no evidence of any kind ever surfaced even suggesting he stabbed someone.

He has since dedicated his life to elevating the lives of others and committed himself to redemption unlike any person I have ever seen.

Perhaps I should've said "part of that evidence." Whatever blood was potentially on it could've told a major story. We will never know. I won't fault someone for having uneasy feelings about it.

That said, it seems he's really done a lot of great stuff in his life. There's a reason of posted very positively about him many a time.

Perhaps I should've said "part of that evidence." Whatever blood was potentially on it could've told a major story. We will never know. I won't fault someone for having uneasy feelings about it.

That said, it seems he's really done a lot of great stuff in his life. There's a reason of posted very positively about him many a time.

I understand where you are coming from, its all good. I just feel like there is a lot of ignorance around what people assume really happened who have never even read about the true facts of his case and like to just refer to him as a murderer just because. Same with Kobe...people still call him a rapist which is about as ignorant as it gets. People just hate to hate rather than find out what really happened and form educated opinions and that bothers me, especially in a case like Ray who has done so much for so many people and continues to do so. He does more for others every year than most the people on this board combined will do in their lives.

He has earned redemption on and off the field and he deserves credit for that.

I live in Atlanta and read the book 'Next Man Up' by John Feinstein.

Ray Lewis was guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. He eventually realized that protecting people that would commit a crime was not worth it.

Truely is one of the best to ever play the game and is probably one of a dying breed when it comes to the NFL. A guy who plays hard, motivates and expects a lot out of himself and his team. Will take your head off then give you a hand to help you up.

I am sad to see him leave. But he is going out with the franchise he started with after 17 years. How many guys can say that??

Especially playing LB.

Rarely do you find a player that has the heart to match his talent or vice verse. Ray will be missed. Best LB to ever play.

I live in Atlanta and read the book 'Next Man Up' by John Feinstein.

Ray Lewis was guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. He eventually realized that protecting people that would commit a crime was not worth it.

Truely is one of the best to ever play the game and is probably one of a dying breed when it comes to the NFL. A guy who plays hard, motivates and expects a lot out of himself and his team. Will take your head off then give you a hand to help you up.

I am sad to see him leave. But he is going out with the franchise he started with after 17 years. How many guys can say that??

Especially playing LB.

Rarely do you find a player that has the heart to match his talent or vice verse. Ray will be missed. Best LB to ever play.

Again, one of the best football players (or even sports stars) ever. I'm glad I've seen him play many times. Absolutely electric.

If not for the freak injury, he could have played another three years.

The suit wasn't evidence that he stabbed someone, just evidence he was involved in an altercation. His involvement in an altercation does not implement implicate him for murder. There was no evidence he took a knife and stabbed someone, and that is what he was accused of initially. He was guilty of trying to help his friends and told them to say nothing, which he later owned up to and plead guilty to obstruction of justice. But again, no evidence of any kind ever surfaced even suggesting he stabbed someone.

First of all, I'm assuming the word you were searching for, but failed to find, was "implicate." Secondly, O.J. was declared innocent, too. Finally, I'm sure Mother Teresa is shaking in her heavenly boots because Ray Lewis is such a f*cking humanitarian. Other than that, you nailed it.