Thought processes by people here I don't understand

Virgil

As I am reading all of these threads about everything going on, and man is there a lot, I am getting confused about what people are looking for with the President, GM, Coach, and QB position. It drives me nuts when people complain about things but don't offer any form of solution. I keep reading about retreads and non-nfl ready qb's, the Bills making changes without actually making any changes, etc....

Here are things that I would think would be logical assumptions:

• When there are 7 Head Coaching positions available, then that means there are 7 jobs open where the goal is to find someone to win them a superbowl. Since this is the goal of all 32 teams, clearly this isn't a simple job. If there were Superbowl winning coaches around just waiting to magically turn a team around, everyone would be hiring them
  • All forms of promotion, GM, President, Coach, involve someone getting a new job to prove themselves. They are promoted because they have shown something that makes the hiring person believe they can excel in the job or they recently lost a job based upon missing expectations.
  • All former coaches are re-treads. If they were that amazing, they'd still be in their jobs. Anyone else are coordinators who only know one side of the game or college coaches who may not be able to make the jump. There is going to be risk with everyone.
  • If Gronk and Russel Wilson was such an easy pick, then why did all 31 other teams also miss on them? Everyone keeps blaming Nix for these misses, but he's also had some hits. Do I think he is the right guy, I don't know. But I do know that we've found some gems too. If you don't like Nix, I get it, but blaming him for every pick he missed could apply to any GM
  • GM's get players that coaches ask for. You want to blame Nix for Chan, go ahead. But Chan stood behind Fitz and has been all season while Nix hasn't. This is why we are here now.
  • No one really knows what level of input Ralph had on this team. Regardless, Brandon is a different guy with his own plan. People don't get promoted to be the person before them. Good or bad, change will happen with Brandon. People have been complaining about Ralph and him always being asleep. You now got your change.
  • Anyone who doesn't go 1-2 is considered to be a risk pick at QB. There are 10 other teams, most of them also looking for new coaches, who have made the same misses we have. I hate to use Brady or Wilson, but tons of teams passed on them. This could be a terrible QB draft or a great one, we have no idea what to expect.

To me, end result, we just went through a ton of change. Brandon is a guy who is respected around the league. I believe Nix did a great job of giving Chan what he asked for and found some great diamond in the roughs. He may not be top 5 GM, but he's not bottom half. Maybe I'm settling, but it's not why we lose.

As for the coaches and QB, I have no idea. I think I would like to see Lovie here. Lovie has a winning record, knows the D, and hopefully could bring in a offensive coordinator.

I will say this, and I know this is the fan boy in me, but I would love to see the SU coach come in here and draft Nassib. The guy ran a great offense in New Orleans and turned around a terrible SU team. Plus, for expanding the fan base, wow. I also think that we could trade back into the 1st or 2nd, and still get the WR or OLB in the first we want. Imagine getting that WR from Baylor, Nassib, then LB in FA.

I digress

Edited by Derek in Va

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well reasoned and thoughtful perspective on what has been a truly eventful if confusing Bills news day.

One question I have about Marrone is just how much responsibility he had while in New Orleans? I think a poster wrote earlier today that he was essentially Sean Payton's "Curtis Modkins" in that he didn't actually call the plays. Marrone intrigues me, but I know very little about him or his history.

As I am reading all of these threads about everything going on, and man is there a lot, I am getting confused about what people are looking for with the President, GM, Coach, and QB position. It drives me nuts when people complain about things but don't offer any form of solution. I keep reading about retreads and non-nfl ready qb's, the Bills making changed without actually making any changes, etc....

• When there are 7 Head Coaching positions available, then that means there are 7 jobs open where the goal is to find someone to win them a superbowl. Since this is the goal of all 32 teams, clearly this isn't a simple job. If there were Superbowl winning coaches around just waiting to magically turn a team around, everyone would be hiring them
  • All forms of promotion, GM, President, Coach, involve someone getting a new job to prove themselves. They are promoted because they have shown something that makes the hiring person believe they can excel in the job or they recently lost a job based upon missing expectations.
  • All former coaches are re-treads. If they were that amazing, they'd still be in their jobs. Anyone else are coordinators who only know one side of the game or college coaches who may not be able to make the jump. There is going to be risk with everyone.
  • If Gronk and Russel Wilson was such an easy pick, then why did all 31 other teams also miss on them? Everyone keeps blaming Nix for these misses, but he's also had some hits. Do I think he is the right guy, I don't know. But I do know that we've found some gems too. If you don't like Nix, I get it, but blaming him for every pick he missed could apply to any GM
  • GM's get players that coaches ask for. You want to blame Nix for Chan, go ahead. But Chan stood behind Fitz and has been all season while Nix hasn't. This is why we are here now.
  • No one really knows what level of input Ralph had on this team. Regardless, Brandon is a different guy with his own plan. People don't get promoted to be the person before them. Good or bad, change will happen with Brandon. People have been complaining about Ralph and him always being asleep. You now got your change.
  • Anyone who doesn't go 1-2 is considered to be a risk pick at QB. There are 10 other teams, most of them also looking for new coaches, who have made the same misses we have. I hate to use Brady or Wilson, but tons of teams passed on them. This could be a terrible QB draft or a great one, we have no idea what to expect.

To me, end result, we just went through a ton of change. Brandon is a guy who is respected around the league. I believe Nix did a great job of giving Chan what he asked for and found some great diamond in the roughs. He may not be top 5 GM, but he's not bottom half. Maybe I'm settling, but it's not why we lose.

As for the coaches and QB, I have no idea. I think I would like to see Lovie or Ken here. Lovie has a winning record, knows the D, and hopefully could bring in a offensive coordinator. I think Ken did great in Arizona until Warner left, and who's fault after that, I don't know.

I will say this, and I know this is the fan boy in me, but I would love to see the SU coach come in here and draft Nassib. The guy ran a great offense in New Orleans and turned around a terrible SU team. Plus, for expanding the fan base, wow. I also think that we could trade back into the 1st or 2nd, and still get the WR or OLB in the first we want. Imagine getting that WR from Baylor, Nassib, then LB in FA.

I digress

with the exception of Nassib (only because I really have no idea) I think this is the post of this thread. Very well Done bro. Thanks for putting it into words. It's everything I've thought all day.

Oh, I admit that the last part was me plugging for SU. I have no idea how the coach and qb will be at the next level. I just want them irrationally. There are some who believe they will be good at the next level and have reasons, I have none besides fandom

Oh, I admit that the last part was me plugging for SU. I have no idea how the coach and qb will be at the next level. I just want them irrationally. There are some who believe they will be good at the next level and have reasons, I have none besides fandom

if the possibility of them being successful is great then I'm all about it. I just have no idea as I don't follow college.

But the rest of your post was spot in brother, spot on.

When I'm looking at a potential HC or QB, I look for one thing, the ability to grow and change. I think about the USC QB curse where those guys peak in college and fail in the NFL.

The SU Coach and QB have improved every year. I like that.

I think this is the time for complete speculation. There's going to be a lot of question marks in the coming days. If we can all just hold on until after the draft, it will be a fair time to understand the true direction of this team.

Until then, fans who want to complain about lack of change or the coach will do no matter what. To really assess the team's thought process we should let them show us what type of coach they're getting, how they're getting a QB, how we will run the defense and which direction we take in the draft.

Until then, its all talk isn't it?

It can only go up from here. Coaches matter, drafting matters, but it would appear the anchor previous regimes had to drag has been cut loose. For me it was RW's statement to the press about "runners" and "TEs that don't get injured," clearly demonstrated that his knack for modern football wasn't up to par with those under 94. I for one wish Ralph Wilson would have done this years ago and enjoyed his wealth without concerning himself with football operations. I can now wish him well.

If Gronk and Russel Wilson was such an easy pick, then why did all 31 other teams also miss on them? Everyone keeps blaming Nix for these misses, but he's also had some hits. Do I think he is the right guy, I don't know. But I do know that we've found some gems too. If you don't like Nix, I get it, but blaming him for every pick he missed could apply to any GM

The main issue with Nix (on this board) is that he did not pick and groom a QB in his three seasons and that is a big mistake considering that the QB position is the most important piece of the puzzle. Posters simply point out that Nix had the chance to pick a good QB to be groomed and missed at each point (Kaepernick for Aaron Williams, Wilson for TJ, Cousins etc). Without a young QB in waiting, Nix put all his eggs in the Fitzpatrick basket and it backfired on him.

Gems at other positions are good (all teams find those gems in the later rounds), but unlike successful GMs around the league, he did not address the QB situation in three years.

Edited by ganesh

The main issue with Nix (on this board) is that he did not pick and groom a QB in his three seasons and that is a big mistake considering that the QB position is the most important piece of the puzzle. Posters simply point out that Nix had the chance to pick a good QB to be groomed and missed at each point (Kaepernick for Aaron Williams, Wilson for TJ, Cousins etc). Without a young QB in waiting, Nix put all his eggs in the Fitzpatrick basket and it backfired on him.

Gems at other positions are good (all teams find those gems in the later rounds), but unlike successful GMs around the league, he did not address the QB situation in three years.

I get that, but if Chan was adamemt that Fitz was their guy and they gave him the extention last year based off of what they saw, I at least put half of the blame on Chan for that.

Coaches are supposed to work with GM's. Outside of them not drafting a back up in just this last years draft, I don't see a huge issue, and even we didn't know if that would be a true need due to Fitz having that rib injury.

Regardless, I don't see that as something that should cost him his job

Edited by Derek in Va

I get that, but if Chan was adamemt that Fitz was their guy and they gave him the extention last year based off of what they saw, I at least put half of the blame on Chan for that.

Coaches are supposed to work with GM's. Outside of them not drafting a back up in just this last years draft, I don't see a huge issue, and even we didn't know if that would be a true need due to Fitz having that rib injury.

If Buddy could not see that Fitz sucks, then what does that say about his talent evaluation skills

but it seems that Buddy did realize this - and is why he traded for Travaris.

OMG the rib injury again.....

never has a single set of ribs been an excuse for 3 people's failure at their jobs......unless there's a HC, GM and QB out there, that all choked while eating a rack of baby backs.

Fitz was awful down the stretch of 2011, everyone knew we needed to get a QB....and the 2012 draft produced a historical load of QB talent for other teams. We have no hope at the most important position....that is failure.

If Buddy could not see that Fitz sucks, then what does that say about his talent evaluation skills

but it seems that Buddy did realize this - and is why he traded for Travaris.

Completely Agree...

Here is the timeline on QBs in the Nix/Chan Era.

2010 - Starts with Trent Edwards/Fitzpatrick in training camp. Names Edwards as starter and then pulls the plug after 3 games and makes Fitz starter. Fitz fizzles after a few good games. Signs Thigpen

2011 - Starts with Fitz and goes 5-1 against weak teams (except for the win against NE) and hands a 60M contract to Fitz. Comes down crashing rest of the year, winning just one more game

2012 - Struggled through the season making bad decisions at critical times. Had Vince Young in camp and cut him. Traded for Tavaris, but did not suit him up.

There were good signs that Gailey was not successful with his QB choices. All the more for drafting potential franchise QBs in the draft.

As I am reading all of these threads about everything going on, and man is there a lot, I am getting confused about what people are looking for with the President, GM, Coach, and QB position. It drives me nuts when people complain about things but don't offer any form of solution. I keep reading about retreads and non-nfl ready qb's, the Bills making changes without actually making any changes, etc....

As for the coaches and QB, I have no idea. I think I would like to see Lovie here. Lovie has a winning record, knows the D, and hopefully could bring in a offensive coordinator.

I digress

Perhaps the reason there are mixed responses from the fanbase here is that when they went to bed on New Year's eve, the owner was Ralph, the CEO was Bndon and the GM was Buddy. Went they went to bed last night, the owner was Ralph, the CEO was Brandon and the GM was Buddy.

Yes, Brandon now has supreme power, but does anyone really think, as CEO prior to yesterday's announcement, that Brandon had NO influence over the decisions made by Ralph? That Ralph ignored all of Brandon's counsel? It's kind of like last offseason when many of us were asking how Wanny would be an upgrade over Edwards when he was part of Edwards's staff and had have some input in Edwards's disastrous defense. What exactly are Brandon's strength's regarding running the team. Wasn't he GM for a brief period?

The "big news" that Ralph will no longer make decisions or any kind assumes that he was making decisions with no input from Brandon in the past or that Brandon had much better choices that Ralph ignored. I just don't believe either of those are true. I'm certain, as a trusted adviser, Ralph took everything Brandon told him seriously and acted according to that advice.

As for Buddy, we all are assuming all kinds of things that Whaley will be doing, so why not just announce that he is the new GM? Tell everyone Buddy will be kept around as "Special Something Or Other" and give the fans a clear picture of who's running the football side. Buddy represents everything that is wrong with this organization. Why reward him even withthe title of GM? Ot sends the wron message to the fans and, I think, propsective players.

As for taking Marrone for HC, this place would melt into lava. I can't believe there is a single person who believes that this guy was calling the offense in NO. And now, after a couple of seasons at .....Syracuse??, he's ready to take over a desperate Buffalo Bills team? This is completely nuts.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I don't think not drafting a QB cost Gailey (or Nix post 2013 draft) a job. The win-loss record in three years and a lack of progress towards making the playoffs cost them their jobs.

As for Buddy, we all are assuming all kinds of things that Whaley will be doing, so why not just announce that he is the new GM? Tell everyone Buddy will be kept around as "Special Something Or Other" and give the fans a clear picture of who's running the football side. Buddy represents everything that is wrong with this organization. Why reward him even withthe title of GM? Ot sends the wron message to the fans and, I think, propsective players.

I can't agree anymore with this statement. Buddy is part of this failed 3-year experiment. What good is going to come by keeping him around. It also sends wrong signals to the incoming HC. Are they going to be scared off with the lack of clarity at the GM position. Buddy has done well with hiring talent for the DL and getting some good FA and Waiver wire pick ups. However, he has missed on far too many top picks in three years to continue with him

Perhaps the reason there are mixed responses from the fanbase here is that when they went to bed on New Year's eve, the owner was Ralph, the CEO was Bndon and the GM was Buddy. Went they went to bed last night, the owner was Ralph, the CEO was Brandon and the GM was Buddy.

Yes, Brandon now has supreme power, but does anyone really think, as CEO prior to yesterday's announcement, that Brandon had NO influence over the decisions made by Ralph? That Ralph ignored all of Brandon's counsel? It's kind of like last offseason when many of us were asking how Wanny would be an upgrade over Edwards when he was part of Edwards's staff and had have some input in Edwards's disastrous defense. What exactly are Brandon's strength's regarding running the team. Wasn't he GM for a brief period?

The "big news" that Ralph will no longer make decisions or any kind assumes that he was making decisions with no input from Brandon in the past or that Brandon had much better choices that Ralph ignored. I just don't believe either of those are true. I'm certain, as a trusted adviser, Ralph took everything Brandon told him seriously and acted according to that advice.

As for taking Marrone for HC, this place would melt into lava. I can't believe there is a single person who believes that this guy was calling the offense in NO. And now, after a couple of seasons at .....Syracuse??, he's ready to take over a desperate Buffalo Bills team? This is completely nuts.

Mr WEO......well done.

I can't name a Nix hit, personally.

Even CJ was the wrong pick. We had two RBs already, and he hasn't turned out to be a real game changer (we still lose more often than not). Dareus, while solid, isn't a game changer. Gilmore, the same. The rest of our picks have been average to crap. We blew our load on a DE that didn't show up for half of the season. We re-sign some of our talent, sure, but I almost wonder if we overpay for the production they put out.

I like Nix, I like some of his philosophy and ideology, but c'mon. He hasn't had any "hits". If he were the GM of any other team, he would have been fired by now.