Brian Moorman - After further review..

Mr_Blizzard

Is it me or did Powell do a pretty good job? I can think of a few shanks but I can also think of many pinned inside the 20 punts as well as a noticeable move to directional/out of bounds kicking.

Yes, he did do a good job. The Morman fan boys just need something to stomp their feet over.

Edited by KD in CT

Is it me or did Powell do a pretty good job? I can think of a few shanks but I can also think of many pinned inside the 20 punts as well as a noticeable move to directional/out of bounds kicking.

That's the key most fans never think about, being able to pooch it inside the 20 n not kick it into the end zone all the frigging time

Edited by Max997

Here's a head to head stat listing for 2012. All values were sorted highest to lowest. The first number is the ranking. Number in (parenthesis) is the number of players tied at that ranking for that stat.

Moorman is currently age 36.

PUNTS

21 Brian Moorman, P 71

27 Shawn Powell, P 65

YARDS

22 Brian Moorman, P 3179

27(2) Shawn Powell, P 2860

LNG

14(5) Brian Moorman, P 66

25(3) Shawn Powell, P 62

AVG1

23 Brian Moorman, P 44.8

24 Shawn Powell, P 44.0

NET

23 Shawn Powell, P 38.1

27 Brian Moorman, P 37.6

BP

16(24) Brian Moorman, P 0

16(24) Shawn Powell, P 0

IN20

20 Brian Moorman, P 24

21 Shawn Powell, P 23

TB

22(6) Brian Moorman, P 4

30(2) Shawn Powell, P 2

FC

22(4) Shawn Powell, P 14

30(2) Brian Moorman, P 11

RET

18(2) Brian Moorman, P 32

23(3) Shawn Powell, P 27

RETY

6 Brian Moorman, P 429

18 Shawn Powell, P 345

AVG2

3 Brian Moorman, P 13.4

4 Shawn Powell, P 12.8

PUNTS: Total punts

YDS: Gross punting yards

LNG: Longest punt

AVG1: Gross punting average

NET: Net punting average

BP: Blocked punts

IN20: Punts inside the 20 yard line

TB: Touchbacks

FC: Fair catches

RET: Punts returned

RETY: Yards returned on punts

AVG2: Average return yards on punts

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/

According to the stats on NFL.com (not including the final DAL-WAS game), Powell had gross 44, Net 38.1 in his games with the Bills. Moorman had Gross 44.8, Net 39.5 in 11 games with Dallas. Yes, Moorman's season net average (including his games with the Bills) will be slightly lower, but from the point of the change onward, Moorman has out-punted Powell. Also, the NFL.com site says he is 36, not 38.

Those stats don't tell the whole story. Moorman may have a higher net because he doesn't pin the ball inside the 20. Taking a short punt, but leaving it inside the 20 doesn't look as good statistically, but it helps the defense more.

According to the stats on NFL.com (not including the final DAL-WAS game), Powell had gross 44, Net 38.1 in his games with the Bills. Moorman had Gross 44.8, Net 39.5 in 11 games with Dallas. Yes, Moorman's season net average (including his games with the Bills) will be slightly lower, but from the point of the change onward, Moorman has out-punted Powell. Also, the NFL.com site says he is 36, not 38.

While I love the guy, Moorman was also playing in a dome for those 11 games. And Powell was a rookie. And as a rookie, Powell had a better season than Moorman did in his first 3 years with the Bills (Moorman was an UDFA in 1999 and latched-on with the Bills in 2001). Powell should only get better while Moorman has nowhere to go but down.

I think Powell did a good job, and I am very happy they made that move. There have been a couple of shanks, but overall, I think Powell will be a very good asset for the Bills.

They should try him on the long kickoff job, too.