Plenzmd1 & Stevestojan...questions for you guys(and others)

The Poojer

in an early thread about relocating to DC Plenz, you suggested a zipcar membership...I am looking at this option and am doing some reading about the service...can you provide actual user experience? pros, cons, advice on useage? I am not ready to invest in a car payment and philly has the service...I can use septa for getting to work, going out for a night on the town, but there are times I would like to have a car at my disposal....

thanks in advice for any help...

Pooj, I personally do not have a membership, but know several who do. I have heard nothing but great things. I believe you pay by the hour, so that is the great thing thing when you only need the car for an hour or two to go to Costco, Home Depot etc. tons of locations, plus much easier than renting cars.

There are competitors, but I believe Zipcar offers the greatest amount of locations and cars.

Sorry, my wife and I have no used the service. I actually ended up finding an apartment that is directly next door to my office and is also located on top of the Red Line of the DC metro. I actually ended up selling 1 car - so we still have 1.

That said, for going out of the metro area, for whatever reason, I have heard nothing but good things about zip car. I'd actually be interested to hear what others say.

Pooj, I personally do not have a membership, but know several who do. I have heard nothing but great things. I believe you pay by the hour, so that is the great thing thing when you only need the car for an hour or two to go to Costco, Home Depot etc. tons of locations, plus much easier than renting cars.

There are competitors, but I believe Zipcar offers the greatest amount of locations and cars.

We looked into it because it was costing us $200 a month to park my wife's car OUTSIDE when we lived in SF. The cool thing is (and I'm not sure if they still do) you don't have to pay for the gas. There's a card in each car that you use when you fill the tank. I think it's a great idea for city people. BTW my wife ended up buying a scooter. That's an alternative Pooj if you don't mind looking gay.

[/pooj goes out and buys two]

I used to use it out here in Boston, mostly for getting to and from hockey games. As far as I can tell, they didn't bump up the rates at all if you had multiple drivers on the same account, so if you know of anyone who might also be interested, it's a nice way to lower the costs a bit, dividing up that monthly fee.

My former boss also used zipcar for a while up until his kids hit the driving age and he swore by it.

edit: The car selection was kind of crappy though. I guess you can live with driving the most ridiculous looking car if you don't actually own it.

Edited by shrader