Making some pizza sauce for New Years - concerns

Adam

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help guys. And no, Chef, only way to get better is to work at it.......and get people sick In The process! Lol

No, I'm proud of ya man!

I love being able to cook. I can whip up some real great stuff pretty quickly. And for me is also very theraputic. I can spend all day in the kitchen with the tunes cranked making all sorts of stuff.

No, I'm proud of ya man!

I love being able to cook. I can whip up some real great stuff pretty quickly. And for me is also very theraputic. I can spend all day in the kitchen with the tunes cranked making all sorts of stuff.

I kind of got into this as I was changing my lifestyle. Used to eat fast food twice a day and have at least one five hour energy per day. Now I spend time at the gym and make my own food as much as possible. Makes a huge difference.

No, I'm proud of ya man!

My wife is like that; she loves to spend all day making great food. It's awesome.

I am making some home made pizza for a New Years party and was wondering if its ok to throw a bulb of garlic or two in the blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients (in a blender, of course). I have used garlic powder before, but never actual garlic, so I'm not sure that I know what I am doing!

Heat up a pan with a generous layer of olive oil (coat the entire bottom). Get a can of purred pomodoro tomatoes and open it up (make sure they say made in Italy). Chop up a few cloves of garlic in thin slices. When the oil is hot throw in the garlic. You want a good sizzle on the garlic. When the garlic starts to brown around the edges, throw in some dried oregano into the oil and garlic mixture. The oregano should be sizzling in that oil. The whole purpose is to "bloom" it. Should take about 10 secs-15 secs. Throw in the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Crank the stove back to low. Let it come to a simmer and its done. If you want you can add some sliced onions in with the garlic step and puree it at the end. Classic, clean tomato taste that will have an authentic vibrant red color.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Heat up a pan with a generous layer of olive oil (coat the entire bottom). Get a can of purred pomodoro tomatoes and open it up (make sure they say made in Italy). Chop up a few cloves of garlic in thin slices. When the oil is hot throw in the garlic. You want a good sizzle on the garlic. When the garlic starts to brown around the edges, throw in some dried oregano into the oil and garlic mixture. The oregano should be sizzling in that oil. The whole purpose is to "bloom" it. Should take about 10 secs-15 secs. Throw in the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Crank the stove back to low. Let it come to a simmer and its done. If you want you can add some sliced onions in with the garlic step and puree it at the end. Classic, clean tomato taste that will have an authentic vibrant red color.

Oh and I forgot, if you like a little heat, add some red pepper flakes with the oregano. They both take well to the "blooming" process.

that would certainly be the traditional route.

as a note: the more standard sweetener (atleast more standard than apple sauce) that i think you would see in many recipes is carrots.

There's no such thing as too much garlic!! Blasphemy!

Well there is but it takes a LOT. Let me tell you about the first time I made pesto. :sick:

as a note: the more standard sweetener (atleast more standard than apple sauce) that i think you would see in many recipes is carrots.

I mentioned the carrot thing in the last tomato sauce thread we had. And yes, you would be correct.

I don't like carrots in a tomato sauce because it tends to dull the the color of a sauce. I associate tomato sauces as deep red in color and vibrant.

That's how I make my pizza sauce but instead of oregano, I use dried basil. That seems to be the difference between pasta sauce and pizza sauce. I got that worked out on only a few tries. Now getting the dough right - that took a couple years to really master.

That's how I make my pizza sauce but instead of oregano, I use dried basil. That seems to be the difference between pasta sauce and pizza sauce. I got that worked out on only a few tries. Now getting the dough right - that took a couple years to really master.

Yeah the classic herb in pizza sauce is oregano.. Another differentiating thing between pizza and pasta sauce is in pasta sauce there can be braised meat like veal, pork or beef involved in the sauce (or something like American style meatballs that we are all used to) and is simmered for a few hours. Little to no simmering is needed for a pizza sauce.

I've been working on a no-knead pizza dough that is dynamite. Amazing texture and flavor. Though it does take about 24 hours in advance for the dough to do its thing. However, there is really no work involved, just time really.

Yeah the classic herb in pizza sauce is oregano.. Another differentiating thing between pizza and pasta sauce is in pasta sauce there can be braised meat like veal, pork or beef involved in the sauce (or something like American style meatballs that we are all used to) and is simmered for a few hours. Little to no simmering is needed for a pizza sauce.

I've been working on a no-knead pizza dough that is dynamite. Amazing texture and flavor. Though it does take about 24 hours in advance for the dough to do its thing. However, there is really no work involved, just time really.

care to share?

care to share?

It's a variation on this recipe here but adapted to pizza. I try to let the dough do its thing for at least 24 hours (longer than what they recommend in the link). I also have been tinkering around with the base ratios (yeast and rise time) but it is a good thing to start with the standard recipe.

Instead of making the dough for bread, I roll it out with a rolling pin to make a "thin crust" pizza. You have to also bake your pizza at a high temp. 450 minimum on convection I would go.

http://www.nytimes.c...ng/081mrex.html

Adam, once you graduate beyond pizza and still want to use garlic, try roasting a whole head (not your own) in the over for about an hour at 325F. Cut off the root ends and smear the roasted garlic (it takes on the consistency of toothpaste) on slices of a nice toothy Italian bread.

Oh, and never put oregano in a pasta sauce. Oregano is for pizza almost exclusively.