Making some pizza sauce for New Years - concerns

Adam

I am making some home made pizza for a New Years party and was wondering if its ok to throw a bulb of garlic or two in the blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients (in a blender, of course). I have used garlic powder before, but never actual garlic, so I'm not sure that I know what I am doing!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am making some home made pizza for a New Years party and was wondering if its ok to throw a bulb of garlic or two in the blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients (in a blender, of course). I have used garlic powder before, but never actual garlic, so I'm not sure that I know what I am doing!

Bulb or clove? A bulb or two is a lot of garlic.

I guess you never used garlic alright. Bust the bulb into cloves and then cut both tips of the cloves off. peel the paper skin with your hands. throw the away.the rest.

Thanks! I appreciate it! Correct, I have never used whole garlic before. Hopefully this works out well! Lol

Depending on volume of sauce, you likely don't need a ton. Depending on recipe, you almost certainly will want to do some preparation first.

Bust up the bulb, and as Jim said peel it. Likely only need a few pieces, not a full bulb yet alone 2 (again no idea of your volume though). Also might want to do some further prep - ie chopping, and cooking some, then adding sauce to the pan you cooked it in.

What's the recipe/plan you have now, and perhaps we can give a few tips?

Edited by NoSaint

Depending on volume of sauce, you likely don't need a ton. Depending on recipe, you almost certainly will want to do some preparation first.

Bust up the bulb, and as Jim said peel it. Likely only need a few pieces, not a full bulb yet alone 2 (again no idea of your volume though). Also might want to do some further prep - ie chopping, and cooking some, then adding sauce to the pan you cooked it in.

What's the recipe/plan you have now, and perhaps we can give a few tips?

I was planning on putting two cans of diced tomato, apple sauce (sweetener), some onion (1/4-1/2 of one) and some garlic into my blender (just got a ninja) and blending them until smooth. Then empty into a heated pot and add some spices- mainly oregano, parsley and black pepper, maybe even a little cinnamon. After mixing, I would throw the pot into the fridge- I won't have a lot of time to prepare after I get home from work on New Year's Eve! I appreciate the help!

I was planning on putting two cans of diced tomato, apple sauce (sweetener), some onion (1/4-1/2 of one) and some garlic into my blender (just got a ninja) and blending them until smooth. Then empty into a heated pot and add some spices- mainly oregano, parsley and black pepper, maybe even a little cinnamon. After mixing, I would throw the pot into the fridge- I won't have a lot of time to prepare after I get home from work on New Year's Eve! I appreciate the help!

Two cans? 3 cloves at most. And give it a long simmer. Apple sauce? Never heard of that in a tomato sauce but it sounds interesting.

Easy way to peel the paper off the cloves...place them on a counter and with the flat part of a knife..the bottom of a pint glass etc...gently 'smash' the clove..don't squish it...just hard enough to gently crack the clove...the paper pretty much comes off on its own...

Edited by The Poojer

hmmmm - never seen the apple sauce angle in a tomato sauce. (not adding any opinion with that, just never seen it)

just out of curiousity, where did you get the recipe? or is it a few ideas that have bounced around your head getting combined?

hmmmm - never seen the apple sauce angle in a tomato sauce. (not adding any opinion with that, just never seen it)

just out of curiousity, where did you get the recipe? or is it a few ideas that have bounced around your head getting combined?

I have read about it in numerous places as a sugar substitute. Sounded like it could be pretty good.

Wouldn't fresh garlic be a little to strong(for uncooked sauce)? Funny this thread came up because we just made pizza from scratch for the first time last night.

Easy way to peel the paper off the cloves...place them on a counter and with the flat part of a knife..the bottom of a pint glass etc...gently 'smash' the clove..don't squish it...just hard enough to gently crack the clove...the paper pretty much comes off on its own...

You can get one of these as well. Don't need to peel the clove this one mashes it through and your left with the skin.

http://www.surlatabl...le-Garlic-Press

Edited by Dante

I know you want home made but Don Peppino is the end all be all for Pizza Sauce. It's cheap, readily available, and delicious.

If you're dead set on making your own I would definitely make it and try it the night before or so just to make sure as too much garlic is easy to do and can ruin sauce really fast. Also never heard of the apple sauce and I think it's interesting but I won't probably try it because well DON PEPPINO.

I know you want home made but Don Peppino is the end all be all for Pizza Sauce. It's cheap, readily available, and delicious.

If you're dead set on making your own I would definitely make it and try it the night before or so just to make sure as too much garlic is easy to do and can ruin sauce really fast. Also never heard of the apple sauce and I think it's interesting but I won't probably try it because well DON PEPPINO.

Thanks, but there is no chance of finding that out here!