West Virginia vs Syracuse

Solomon Grundy

gonna chime in w some nonsense but what about tavon austin in first with trade back to 10ish-15ish and snake QB in the 2nd ? possibly extra pick from trade for LB. especially if tyler wilson falls til 2nd.

Austin looks like Harvin 2.0 He's gonna crush it for someone.

No Wrs in round 1. Wrs don't win championships. A better qb will make our Wrs look better. I do like Austin though. Keep an eye on Arthur from Kent St. He's Austin jr.

Are you talking about Smith or Nassib? I couldn't tell.

Smith. He was a monster his whole career. One game doesn't make a career.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Nassib. Could be sweet if we could draft him while also dealing for Cousins-or-Flynn.

And while we are talking 'Cuse, Peter King mentioned Doug Marrone's name (HC @ SYR) in his MMQB column a few weeks ago as one of the top 5 coaching names being tossed around among a group of insiders he spoke with. He has turned that team around.

Btw, this thread is hilarious. Smith's game logs: http://espn.go.com/c...8025/geno-smith

http://espn.go.com/c...2011/geno-smith

The guy only has 98 career tds to 21 ints. Scrub. He only threw for 6 tds & 400 yards in last years bowl game against a highly regarded Clemson team. Bum. He only goes to Manning football camp to develop as leader every summer. Slacker.

Seriously, we need to pass on this guy if he's there when we pick. I'd much rather trade a high draft pick for another team's backup qb. As the past 20 years of Bills football has shown, this is the way to build a dynasty.

C'mon - are you really relying on college stats to prove the guy's worth as an NFL QB? You're not going to account for the wide-open system in which Smith plays, or the fact that he's had the luxury of throwing to 2 NFL-caliber WRs? If we're just going to look at college stats, then why didn't Timmy Chang, Colt Brennan and Case Keenum flourish in the NFL?

FYI, Smith, Colt Brennan and Case Keenum had better college numbers than Luck, RGIII, Peyton Manning and Brees.

Do you think that Smith handles adversity well?

Do you think that he's a good leader?

Do you think that he plays his best when it matters the most?

Do you think that he scans his reads well?

C'mon - are you really relying on college stats to prove the guy's worth as an NFL QB? You're not going to account for the wide-open system in which Smith plays, or the fact that he's had the luxury of throwing to 2 NFL-caliber WRs? If we're just going to look at college stats, then why didn't Timmy Chang, Colt Brennan and Case Keenum flourish in the NFL?

FYI, Smith, Colt Brennan and Case Keenum had better college numbers than Luck, RGIII, Peyton Manning and Brees.

Do you think that Smith handles adversity well?

Do you think that he's a good leader?

Do you think that he plays his best when it matters the most?

Do you think that he scans his reads well?

I think he has a much better arm than those guys (which you neglect to mention)

I think he has better mechanics than them too

I think he had some red flags this season, but with that said it wasn't the train wreck many of the "haters" portray either.

If you look at his stats, the only place his numbers fall apart noticeably is when down 15+ points. He's played well against ranked teams, in close games etc.... But when down 3 touches, he sees his completions drop 15%, yards per cut in half, and turnovers go up. It's a flag that adversity gets to him, but it's also a flag that his team may have been hugely over matched those days. My eyes say he's for a bit if maturing and WVU was a tough place to do it. It's not obvious if it will or won't happen in the nfl.

Edited by NoSaint

I think he has a much better arm than those guys (which you neglect to mention)

I think he had some red flags this season, but with that said it wasn't the train wreck many of the "haters" portray either.

If you look at his stats, the only place his numbers fall apart noticeably is when down 15+ points. He's played well against ranked

teams, in close games etc.... But when down 3 touches, he sees his completions drop 15%, yards per cut in half, and turnovers go up.

I'm not a "hater" by any means - I just don't want the Bills to spend a Top 10 pick on him.

sure, he has a strong arm (stronger than Luck/RGIII, I'm not sure about), but to ignore Holgerson's wide open system, and Austin/Bailey at WR, and to highlight the numbers, is short-sighted, to say the least. Hell, even his predecessor at WVU, Pat White (I know that White had a different OC) put up gaudy numbers in college.

I noticed a pretty significant dip in his YPC in the losses this year, save the game against Oklahoma. Why is that? Wouldn't he be taking more shots downfield when WVU is down?

I watched him play maybe 5-6 times this season, and I saw him staring down receivers, and not going through his reads. I saw him pout and look dejected in losses. He clearly played his best games against WVU's inferior opposition. To each his own, but that's not what I want from my QB.

also, I would categorize a 2-6 finish, after having started 5-0, as a "train wreck"

I'm not a "hater" by any means - I just don't want the Bills to spend a Top 10 pick on him.

sure, he has a strong arm (stronger than Luck/RGIII, I'm not sure about), but to ignore Holgerson's wide open system, and Austin/Bailey at WR, and to highlight the numbers, is short-sighted, to say the least. Hell, even his predecessor at WVU, Pat White (I know that White had a different OC) put up gaudy numbers in college.

I noticed a pretty significant dip in his YPC in the losses this year, save the game against Oklahoma. Why is that? Wouldn't he be taking more shots downfield when WVU is down?

I watched him play maybe 5-6 times this season, and I saw him staring down receivers, and not going through his reads. I saw him pout and look dejected in losses. He clearly played his best games against WVU's inferior opposition. To each his own, but that's not what I want from my QB.

Understood, and you weren't the "hater" type I was looking to highlight. You've watched him a lot and simply don't think he overcomes the areas he needs to grow in. It's fair. But you do sometimes neglect his huge upsides, or causes of the issues when presenting your analysis of him. I've seen you acknowledge them, but the Chang/Brennan comparisons without noting that he does have better tools irked me.

Truly, I think our reads on him aren't wildly different, as much as I'm keying on his good mechanics and passion a bit heavier and your keying on his body language and adversity (and possibly your expected outcome) a bit heavier.... But I think we both have similar commentary in the end.

I think he's earned a really high draft slot but I don't know what he will do with it.

That was the first time watching Smith and about the 5th time have seen Nassib this year. I wasn't terribly impressed with either yesterday but that could be blamed on the weather. As far as evaluating the two QBs, Nassib looks the more ready pro. Smith seems to be the beneficiary of two stud receivers, and a scheme that just keeps the defense off balance. Lots of short line of scrimmage throws for Smith and YAC, didn't seem to have much of a vertical passing game where Nassib did, and Nassib seemed to look for and use all his targets.

The most impressive thing I saw yesterday was D Marrones mindset to just keep smashing the running game at WVU, that was impressive that he didn't waver even when the game was tied or close, just run the damn ball, impressive. Too bad Chan couldn't learn something from that game because Buffalo could be a lot better with better play calling and play smash mouth football.

Very informative post, its obvious you have watched them a few times. I agree with exactly what you said. Its impossible to see QBs going through their reads on TV but the way Nassib will go from one side of the field to the other to find an open receiver is a nice indication thats what he is doing. ZI cant say Ive seen that from Geno. What I have seen from Geno was that he looks uncomfortable in the pocket and has a BAD tendenancy to drift back and to his left when he is NOT under pressure. This exposes him to the rush and causes him to miss a lot of throws. His #s are inflated bc every other pass is a short screen pass.

Agree completely about the SU coach. The biggest thing for me with a coach is does he over acheive with his team. With the SU roster you should never beat a team like WVU. SU talent wise is over matched in almost every game and he went 7-5 and beat a top ten team (at the time) in Lousiville. I would take Marone and Nassib with open arms this offseason.

I like Nassib. Could be sweet if we could draft him while also dealing for Cousins-or-Flynn.

And while we are talking 'Cuse, Peter King mentioned Doug Marrone's name (HC @ SYR) in his MMQB column a few weeks ago as one of the top 5 coaching names being tossed around among a group of insiders he spoke with. He has turned that team around.

Edited by peterpan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.