Why isnt June Jones ever an NFL coaching candidate?

Max997

I'm watching the SMU vs Fresno St bowl game today and made me wonder why June Jones doesnt get mentioned as a potential head coach in the NFL. With the Spread offense which is basically the Run and Shoot becoming the norm and with his previous NFL coaching experience you would think he would at least get a look.

Im not suggesting the Bills should go after him but I'm surprised his name never seems to come up. He has previous NFL coaching experience and has done well as a head coach in college with success at Hawaii which is next to impossible and now at SMU

I wasnt suggesting Bills should go after him just surprised he never gets any interest considering he runs a spread offense and his previous NFL coaching experience

I wouldnt call him a retread like Jauron and Gailey but I get it. He at least had some success as a head coach in college

I'm watching the SMU vs Fresno St bowl game today and made me wonder why June Jones doesnt get mentioned as a potential head coach in the NFL. With the Spread offense which is basically the Run and Shoot becoming the norm and with his previous NFL coaching experience you would think he would at least get a look.

Im not suggesting the Bills should go after him but I'm surprised his name never seems to come up. He has previous NFL coaching experience and has done well as a head coach in college with success at Hawaii which is next to impossible and now at SMU

Does he know anything other than the run-n-shoot?

Still not sure why any great college coach would leave for the NFL. If you can build a winning program in Wisconsin, Iowa, Oregon, or Boise and you like the area of the country why leave??? You are treated like a God and as long as you don't look the wrong way after a shower incident or go to the local titty bar all is good. You can mostly control your roster and reload at any time. The worst of it is grovelling to some 17 year old in his parent's trailer but that can be mostly done by graduate assistants.

I suspect the worst of it has to be the boosters though. Total slime.

In the NFL, the boosters = agents and the grovelling is done during FA.

It can't be the money because Saban would take a pay cut to go to the Browns. Chip Kelly has Nike's for life...that has to be way better than cheesesteaks for life(Chip might actually be able to literally fill Reid's shoes/clothes after a season or two in Philly)

He's a difficult man to get along with and has had very tenuous relationships with both Hawaii and SMU administrations and boosters for a variety of reasons.

He's been successful but the bridges are all wired to explode.

His offense has generally been figured out at the college level meaning it's 100% exposed at the NFL level. SMU played very well in the bowl game, and have...they've won consectutive bowls. However, the SMU defense and their running game carried the team more often than the passing attack. Sometimes that passing attack would barely generate 200 yards in a game.