Kelly to front office?

BuffaloPride

I guess I don't get what Kelly brings to the table. Might be more to him than what I've seen, but on the surface this seems another PR stunt reach knowing the big offseason splashy signing is likely out of the budget untill Mario's deal is done.

Jimbo is a fierce competitor and great cheerleader, but re adding his face to the current franchise only inpires visions of a glorious past not a promising future.

I might be wrong, in fact I'd love to be.

Is he really? You would atleast once in that 4 year span a "fierce Competitor" would dedicate himself to winning the SB instead of using it as an excuse to Party................

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone so down on Brandon all the time? He's not making any football related decisions -- his job is to market the franchise so it can make as much money as possible. Nothing he does or says impacts the product on the field.

I suppose the only negative thing I could say about him is that he's so good at what he does, we all keep buying the tickets and merchandise despite having a schitty product thrown in our faces. But he's not responsible for that product.

I am can't argue this. It's reminiscent of Microsoft and the windows products where people have been buying it forever despite the; high cost, abundance of complaints and margainal performance resulting in tidy profits for the business and making the maniacally hands on boss wealthy.

For example, if Gailey is to return next season and someone has to announce that. Would Bills fans be more or less likely to revolt if Kelly makes the case to keep him.

Would you feel better if Kelly announces Gailey was returning, but not if Nix, Wilson, Brandon etc... make the announcement? Seriously? :doh:

is that because he went to stanford? does he have a degree in "football mgmt"..that is a ridiculous assumption..

actually, economics.

Is he really? You would atleast once in that 4 year span a "fierce Competitor" would dedicate himself to winning the SB instead of using it as an excuse to Party................

though he hated to lose, he did love to party!

Brandon makes no football-related (i.e., coaching, roster) decisions. Prove me wrong and I'll retract that statement.

Prove me wrong. Since when does a CEO have nothing to do with the business he is in charge of? Did he have any say in hiring Nix? If so, that is a major football decision. If he did not, his CEO title is a fraud.

I haven't a clear explanation of what, exactly, Jimbo would be doing and why it would be such a good idea for him to be "in the front office", other than as some sort of "ambassador".

Does it "keep the Bills in NY"? No, they just signed an lease with an onerous buyout.

Does anyone envision Jimbo selecting any significant staffers? GM? HC?

Does anyone see Jimbo handling any kind of FA selection/recruiting? How about the draft--really? He's going to be in the war room as what, a greeter?

As I said, he's a great guy and face for the organization, but why do the Bills always have to make half-assed moves like this?

I don't see the Bills ALWAYS makin moves like this. Maybe Marv Levy could be seen as a move like that but thats once. Where are the other moves like this? Have they hired any other former players before to help run the organization in some capacity? Hiring Kelly might turn out to be the wrong move, but certainly we can't say it's been done before. I say it can't be any worse than 13 years of the garbage we have endured.

Yea that whole Hunters Hope thing that he and his wife have dedicated their lives to hasn't really worked out that well for the entire United States.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe they will bring Jim in because he knows people, and has a good rep around the league. Maybe it will have nothing to do with the College ranks but more on the pro personelle level.

Jim being who he is and knowing who he does could bring a good represnetation of Buffalo Bills football. Through the Hunters Hope foundation Jim has created a lot of ties in this business. He would be able to bring people in and surround himself with good football people, because he is Jim Kelly.

Yes

Prove me wrong. Since when does a CEO have nothing to do with the business he is in charge of? Did he have any say in hiring Nix? If so, that is a major football decision. If he did not, his CEO title is a fraud.

You're hung up on titles; I'm looking at what has actually happened. Buddy Nix never speaks of Brandon being his boss or a key contributor regarding football decisions. The CEO title is just that; a title.

I don't see the Bills ALWAYS makin moves like this. Maybe Marv Levy could be seen as a move like that but thats once. Where are the other moves like this? Have they hired any other former players before to help run the organization in some capacity? Hiring Kelly might turn out to be the wrong move, but certainly we can't say it's been done before. I say it can't be any worse than 13 years of the garbage we have endured.

Yes

Once you consider his abrupt departure without a successor, lousy coaching choice detremental roster makeover, the whole Marv situation wasnt half arse, more like a quarter arse or just the hole between the two checks.

You're hung up on titles; I'm looking at what has actually happened. Buddy Nix never speaks of Brandon being his boss or a key contributor regarding football decisions. The CEO title is just that; a title.

Well nobody knows for sure unless you have inside information(not counting what Buddy Nix says during an interview), so I guess we will disagree.

Edited by LabattBlue

so elway has a degree in economics?, point?

so you dont see how a degree from stanford in economics, coupled with running successful businesses, and a history of owning and managing within another football league doesnt seperate jim kelly from john elway with regards to qualifications to take over a team?

so you dont see how a degree from stanford in economics, coupled with running successful businesses, and a history of owning and managing within another football league doesnt seperate jim kelly from john elway with regards to qualifications to take over a team?

Nix went to Livingston University..hmmmm..might explain alot :rolleyes:

Well nobody knows for sure unless you have inside information(not counting what Buddy Nix says during an interview), so I guess we will disagree.

I guess I'm only asking you to provide evidence of even one instance in which it was leaked (or outright reported) that Brandon influenced or made a coaching or player personnel decision since Nix was hired as Executive VP and GM.

I guess I'm only asking you to provide evidence of even one instance in which it was leaked (or outright reported) that Brandon influenced or made a coaching or player personnel decision since Nix was hired as Executive VP and GM.

What about the Don Banks SI article referenced in a thread just started, that states Brandon is in favor of cleaning house. Sounds like he is plenty involved in the football operation. ;)

Edited by LabattBlue

And Elway is a Stanford man. He's a lot smarter and more qualified for a front office job than Kelly.

Well, in football terms - Elway won two Super Bowls by having the sense to hand the ball off.

I love the guy, but Jim Kelly lost Super Bowl 25 by doing EXACTLY what we have all been railing against Chan Gailey for - calling pass after pass while Thurman Thomas was racking up 10 yards a carry on way too few carries.

This argues for keeping him away from the coaching - the management is a giant unknown - and Kelly IS a great competitor and a winner, and that's all good.

Edited by BobChalmers