Defense stats

Fezmid

This 2nd rank is quite misleading as it was 5 years ago with the Flutie and the boys.

We are 2nd in total # of yards yielded.  

There are so many things that go into consideration as to what makes a

defense very good

1. # of points given

2. total yards per attempt

3. # of turnovers

4. # of sacks

5. 3rd down completeion rate.

I think we were ok in  2, 3 and 4, but pretty average in 1 and 5.

However this defense except for lapses during crucial times, especially

against teams that will punish you for those lapses" has been pretty good,

but they have to take the blame as much for this as Bledsoe.  Bledsoe was

given the running game and the receivers to catch the ball, but failed

miserable....A completion rate of 57% is simply not acceptable.

194330[/snapback]

1. we're 8th 17.8 pts a game

2. we're 1st, 4.3 yds/play

3. we're 1st, 39 total turnovers

4. we're T-3rd, 45 sacks

5. we're 13th, 36% 3rd down conversion rate by opponents

Our defense was excellent all year. They did have a few big plays late in games that really hurt us, but no team can be perfect. The defense did exactly what they were suppossed to do, stop the run, limit the pass and points and most importantly, create turnovers!

The defense kept us in almost every game, but we could not score enough points! The majority of the scoring comes from the offense, so I think it is obvious that it is the offense that should be held most accountable. It is the offense that needs to find a way to improve it's play. The defense needs to find a way to maintain their play. I hope we find a way to keep Grey.

:blink:

I'm not laughing at you.  I'm laughing at the fact that the past several years when were WERE 1st or 2nd in points against, people posted and said, "Yeah, but we finished Xth in the most important stat, turnovers!" ;)

CW

194191[/snapback]

As we saw during the 6 game winning streak, turnovers are nearly as important a stat as points allowed.

1. we're 8th 17.8 pts a game

2. we're 1st, 4.3 yds/play

3. we're 1st, 39 total turnovers

4. we're T-3rd, 45 sacks

5. we're 13th, 36% 3rd down conversion rate by opponents

Our defense was excellent all year. They did have a few big plays late in games that really hurt us,  but no team can be perfect. The defense did exactly what they were suppossed to do, stop the run, limit the pass and points and most importantly, create turnovers!

The defense kept us in almost every game, but we could not score enough points!  The majority of the scoring comes from the offense, so I think it is obvious that it is the offense that should be held most accountable. It is the offense that needs to find a way to improve it's play. The defense needs to find a way to maintain their play. I hope we find a way to keep Grey.

194541[/snapback]

I could have saved you some work on those stats if you saw my post above in this thread :blink: . Oh well, it's good to reinforce....

I could have saved you some work on those stats if you saw my post above in this thread   ;) . Oh well, it's good to reinforce....

194667[/snapback]

That's what I get for posting without reading all posts. Consisder yourself verified by reliable 3rd party. :blink:

The problem I have with this defense is it never seems to take control against a dominating opponent. Look at the way the defense played in the two New England games, or in that nine minute Pittsburgh drive. Usually, when that defense seems to be playing well, it's partly because there is something wrong with the other team's offense.