Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

As do I, but I have been raked over the coals and crucified over it all season.

Cuz PTR is right. People here can only say one of two things. Someone is either an "Elite" type player or they should be out of the league. Fitz and Stevie are perfect examples here.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gruden in Buffalo is probably as likely as Andy Ried, or Cowher ....or even Bill Walsh.......coming to Buffalo to save the day.

I've never been a fan of Gruden wanting to do everything in terms of coaching AND being gm, and whatever else.....the Bucs seemed to go down hill personnel-wise as time continued to pass following their SB win. (he was a better OC then anything)

Any word on say Steve Spagnuolo or maybe Jim Hasselett ....depending on choice of OC's, one of those MIGHT be a decent /more possible HC option ....maybe??

Spags is about to break the record for most yards allowed in a season.

And Haslett was a disaster as a head coach...

So maybe we could keep chan?

Spags is about to break the record for most yards allowed in a season.

And Haslett was a disaster as a head coach...

So maybe we could keep chan?

...or hire an up-and-coming but lesser known assistant, or a college coach not named Saban or Kelly. Even the greats were unknown at one time.

PTR

...or hire an up-and-coming but lesser known assistant, or a college coach not named Saban or Kelly. Even the greats were unknown at one time.

PTR

I was just pointing out the irony of firing a guy for a historically bad defense and arguing a guy with a possibly worse defense is the replacement

Edited by NoSaint

yes. But dick was probably the worst coach we've ever had until chan. With records set in defense this year, I doubt it could get worse.

Never say that!

PTR said that about Jauron. I said that about George Edwards

Someone in the FO needs to grown a brain and hire a winning HC,and not someone "perceived" to be a winning HC.

Huge thing to me is that they're not wasting any time, if anything jumping the gun to the point of risking tampering accusations.

Absolutely.

With 8-10 coaches and as many as 7 GM on the hot seat, this team has to position themselves strategically and decisively.

It's gonna be a very competitive market.

from Fox: JAY GRUDEN

Team/position: Cincinnati offensive coordinator

Previous NFL head coaching interviews: None, but that’s only because Gruden declined them last January out of loyalty to the Bengals for giving him the chance to become their offensive coordinator. Gruden had spent the past two seasons working for the Florida Tuskers of the ill-fated UFL.

Why is Gruden radar-worthy? Jon Gruden isn’t the only offensive guru in the family. Jay has done a masterful job constructing an offense around two second-year cornerstones — quarterback Andy Dalton and wide receiver A.J. Green. The Bengals will make back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time since 1981 and 1982.

Potential fit: Any team needing to develop a young quarterback. Gruden’s experience as a head coach in the UFL and Arena Football League (Orlando Predators) is also a plus.

Trivia note: Gruden won six AFL championships — two as a head coach and four as a quarterback for the Tampa Bay Storm.

Edited by Astrobot

I think confirmation of the meeting is significant enough to report.

We chatted a bit in the game thread but if he can't confirm content, or share timing, or anything else... What business does he have speculating that its jay vs John vs anything else in the tweet? The second lines shoddiness takes away from the first lines authority in my opinion (as a humble fan watching conflicting sources all over the place all week).

"Got confirmation that Brandon and gruden met, unsure of details" would've held a lot more journalistic weight for me. Probably just a bit gun shy from an awful week of rumor mongering

Edited by NoSaint

from Fox: JAY GRUDEN

Team/position: Cincinnati offensive coordinator

Previous NFL head coaching interviews: None, but that’s only because Gruden declined them last January out of loyalty to the Bengals for giving him the chance to become their offensive coordinator. Gruden had spent the past two seasons working for the Florida Tuskers of the ill-fated UFL.

Why is Gruden radar-worthy? Jon Gruden isn’t the only offensive guru in the family. Jay has done a masterful job constructing an offense around two second-year cornerstones — quarterback Andy Dalton and wide receiver A.J. Green. The Bengals will make back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time since 1981 and 1982.

Potential fit: Any team needing to develop a young quarterback. Gruden’s experience as a head coach in the UFL and Arena Football League (Orlando Predators) is also a plus.

Trivia note: Gruden won six AFL championships — two as a head coach and four as a quarterback for the Tampa Bay Storm.

Thanks for the research. The HC experience, even in the AFL and UFL, is encouraging.

I don't care who is right or wrong, I am not sure I am happy about Jon Gruden going to Buffalo to be a HC. I can tolerate Gailey's press conferences and attitude on the side but do not want to see Gruden make everything about him. If we wont a Super Bowl with him at the helm my feelings would change...but I still do not care much for him.

Howard Simon just tweeted that this rumor is true but says it may have been a meeting to gather info on Jay Gruden

Geez. That makes sense. When I apply for a job I should use my brother for reference. Yeah, I'm certain Gruden would give Russ all the reasons he shouldn't hire him.

If Russ met with Gruden it was either for the publicity value (most likely) or Gruden confirming to Russ that no one in the NFL takes Russ serious as the Bills COO.