Fitzpatrick

TJack

Thigpen

Brad Smith

Ruvell Martin

D. Dickerson

T. Choice

Keep #67 and #31.

Agreed with this list except I'm keeping Sheppard. He can play the run and could be useful if we ever get the right guys around him. Not 3 down guy by any means but I like his physicality. I might keep Dorin, depending on our other FA. I like him, regardless of todays game. He seems to get open and I think he can be used in the run game and as a passing threat. Other wise, well done.

Cut List:

Barnett

Sheppard

Kelsay

Merriman

The great Kyle Moore

Spencer Johnson

Moats

Justin Rogers

Fitzpatrick

TJack

Thigpen

Brad Smith

Ruvell Martin

D. Dickerson

T. Choice

Keep #67 and #31.

Shepp can be a good backup...Dickerson is worth keeping

Cut List:

Barnett

Sheppard

Kelsay

Merriman

The great Kyle Moore

Spencer Johnson

Moats

Justin Rogers

Fitzpatrick

TJack

Thigpen

Brad Smith

Ruvell Martin

D. Dickerson

T. Choice

Keep #67 and #31.

might as well add Fred Jackson to that list... he is not the same player

Agreed with this list except I'm keeping Sheppard. He can play the run and could be useful if we ever get the right guys around him. Not 3 down guy by any means but I like his physicality. I might keep Dorin, depending on our other FA. I like him, regardless of todays game. He seems to get open and I think he can be used in the run game and as a passing threat. Other wise, well done.

When you are 31st against the run and can't stop opposing QBs from running the ball at will, your LB cannot be good against the run!!

Cut List:

Barnett

Sheppard

Kelsay

Merriman

The great Kyle Moore

Spencer Johnson

Moats

Justin Rogers

Fitzpatrick

TJack

Thigpen

Brad Smith

Ruvell Martin

D. Dickerson

T. Choice

Keep #67 and #31.

Agree with most of your list, although some don't need to be cut, just not resigned as their contract is up after the last disaster against the Jets. I would probably keep Sheppard, Justin Rodgers and Dickerson off of your list though. Would probably keep Barnett until you know he has been replaced (Mantei T'eo-in my dreams). Might also cut the ties with Aaron Williams, but they won't if Nix is still around, he doesn't like to admit his mistakes.

I wish I could agree with you on Shep. But I have seen little evidence that he can be a consistent MLB in this league. Like Fitz, he's got a great aptitude for the game, but he is physically limited. His biggest problem is speed, both lateral and to the hole. He gets lost in traffic far too often and isn't very good at shedding a block. Perhaps I'd keep him around because he's a good presence in the locker room, film room, etc. like Kelsay, but I wouldn't count on him to contribute much in the way of being a playmaker and that's what an MLB has to be first and foremost. Shep just isn't a playmaker.

GO BILLS!!!

I wish I could agree with you on Shep. But I have seen little evidence that he can be a consistent MLB in this league. Like Fitz, he's got a great aptitude for the game, but he is physically limited. His biggest problem is speed, both lateral and to the hole. He gets lost in traffic far too often and isn't very good at shedding a block. Perhaps I'd keep him around because he's a good presence in the locker room, film room, etc. like Kelsay, but I wouldn't count on him to contribute much in the way of being a playmaker and that's what an MLB has to be first and foremost. Shep just isn't a playmaker.

GO BILLS!!!

Was I watching a different game than everyone else yesterday? Sheppard seems to be the only linebacker on the roster. I never said he was a starter or the most athletic, but he gets to the balls. Here is my reasoning...Barnett is terrible, makes wrong reads and looks like he has cinderblock feet. Bryan Scott, well, no n need explaining here. I don't think Bradham is all that bad. The numbers don't show it, but when I watch him play, he scrapes and fills open holes well (but they take him off the field too oftten). Point being, shep may not be the guy in the future, but he is a consitantly solid tackler, big presence in the middle, a leader of the defense and knows how to make a read. Are you really going to scrap 3 of our 4 'starting' LB's? No way.

When you are 31st against the run and can't stop opposing QBs from running the ball at will, your LB cannot be good against the run!!

Hard to argue the numbers, but correct me if I'm wrong. If a defense is 31st in the league against the rush and the QB cannot be stopped from running the ball, it's the Mike's fault? Not in my eyes, especially in a 4-3. Those D tackles need to keep guards off of our linebackers and they frankly do not. Sometimes, they are blocked INTO our Mike. Yes, he is partially to blame but Shep does his fair share of role playing. He often seems to eat up guards and get to the ball at the LOS, but not necessarily making the play. This leaves the door WIDE open for outside backers to fill. When your outside backers are invisibe, here lies the problem.

**This was our main problem against the run yesterday (IMO)

In regards to the QB rushing the ball, do you mean to say in a read option, scramble, what?

A 4-3 Defense needs capable outside backers, which unfortunately, Nix/Gailey/Wanny forgot about.

JPS is painfully close.

Sheppard was on my poop list most of the season, He was awful.

I watched him closely yesterday and he actually was reading and reacting correctly. Had some good hits.

Barnett is done though, terrible year.

Bradham will just get better. White can go away too.

Problem with this list is that's alot of players to replace.

Lets get some coaches first and let them shake the tree

Was I watching a different game than everyone else yesterday? Sheppard seems to be the only linebacker on the roster. I never said he was a starter or the most athletic, but he gets to the balls. Here is my reasoning...Barnett is terrible, makes wrong reads and looks like he has cinderblock feet. Bryan Scott, well, no n need explaining here. I don't think Bradham is all that bad. The numbers don't show it, but when I watch him play, he scrapes and fills open holes well (but they take him off the field too oftten). Point being, shep may not be the guy in the future, but he is a consitantly solid tackler, big presence in the middle, a leader of the defense and knows how to make a read. Are you really going to scrap 3 of our 4 'starting' LB's? No way.

I agree he has been the best linebacker on this team, at least for the past 6-8 games or so, and that isn't saying much giving up 40-50 points a game. It shows you how far away this team is, a list of 25 players that should be cut, and replaced with 8 or 9 draft picks?

Some very good points are being made about players. However, I think many people disregard scheme and rely too heavily on statistics. I will be starting a new thread on 4-3 scheme and why I believe our defense is hurting against the run. I encourage you all to read it and respond because I am very interested to hear other opinions. I will entitle it "4-3 scheme"

I certainly don't wish to turn this into a pro Shep/anti-Shep argument. I'd keep him as a backup and nothing more. I base that on his entire body of work as a pro to date. A couple plays here and there aren't enough to sway me that he can be anything more than a backup. I think we can agree his mental game and team leadership qualities are worth keeping as I said previously but the cold reality is he's just too slow to be a playmaker and that's the most important trait you need in your MLB. Especially in a 43 front.

As for Bradham, he's got a long way to go as well. Nice when he makes a hit, but I've seen him take himself out of position more often than not going back to his first action against the Niners. It would certainly help him if Kyle Moore wasn't such a crappy run defender at DE, too. So I live with him while he's developing but in no way do I think he's the answer yet.

Barnett needs to go. And Scott has no business lining up a an LB. We can agree on that.

I realize you can't simply get rid of everybody. I'll only say that CURRENTLY we don't have ONE bonafide starting LB on the entire team. As bad as our CB and SS play have been this season, it is the LB group that is most responsible for how bad our defense has played and that goes back several seasons, including Fewell's tenure as DC.

GO BILLS!!!

I certainly don't wish to turn this into a pro Shep/anti-Shep argument. I'd keep him as a backup and nothing more. I base that on his entire body of work as a pro to date. A couple plays here and there aren't enough to sway me that he can be anything more than a backup. I think we can agree his mental game and team leadership qualities are worth keeping as I said previously but the cold reality is he's just too slow to be a playmaker and that's the most important trait you need in your MLB. Especially in a 43 front.

As for Bradham, he's got a long way to go as well. Nice when he makes a hit, but I've seen him take himself out of position more often than not going back to his first action against the Niners. It would certainly help him if Kyle Moore wasn't such a crappy run defender at DE, too. So I live with him while he's developing but in no way do I think he's the answer yet.

Barnett needs to go. And Scott has no business lining up a an LB. We can agree on that.

I realize you can't simply get rid of everybody. I'll only say that CURRENTLY we don't have ONE bonafide starting LB on the entire team. As bad as our CB and SS play have been this season, it is the LB group that is most responsible for how bad our defense has played and that goes back several seasons, including Fewell's tenure as DC.

GO BILLS!!!

^^^money.

Fitzpatrick. Cutting him by 2nd day of new league year saves 4.5 cap hit and 7.5 in actual money. They keep him it's $10 mil cap hit. No brainer there. Barnett, Wilson, Scott- see ya. Merriman. Why did they bring him back? Kelsay, Lindell, Troup, Easley. Thigpen, T Jackson, F Jackson. Offseason priority for the new GM has to be QB and LB. 3 of each.