Trevor Pryce on Rex Ryan in the NYT (good piece)

dave mcbride

It's a very interesting article, but it does have a few holes in it. While there certainly is a "me first" mentality among some successful coaches in the league, that's not always the case. Up until this year, the Steelers have done quite well wth the loyalty concept. The players that buy into their system are usually treated quite well. Of course the downside is that they've kept some aging players on the team that should probably be let go. That being said, they've been successful for a long time through loyalty.

I also don't think that Ryan is the only person in the mix in terms of who is making the personnel decisions. For example: I really doubt that he favored the aquisition of Tebow. He says all the right things, but Tebow doesn't fit their system at all.

The other hole in the article is the lamenting tone. Pryce seems to be saying that today's NFL is somehow different that the recent past, and that's not true at all.

The NFL has always had a cutthroat aspect to it. In any sport that's as competitive as football is, with the amount of money that's involved, there is always going to be a cold-hearted side to it, and I think that most of the people who work in the league understand that.

It was pretty good, except using today's Andy Reid as an exmple.

You could also insert "Chan Gailey" in place of "Rex Ryan" and the story would have read just as well. I personally don't think Gailey is an offensive genius (if Rex is a defensive genius), but his loyalty to Fitzpatrick has brought about his departure from Buffalo (I hope). Gailey has tossed a few players under the bus, but his steadfast support for all things Fitzpatrick is his Achilles Heel.

Chan did the same thing at Tech with Reggie Ball. Started him for four years because he showed flashes of doing well. Unfortunately Chan seems to see ONLY the positives when it comes to his QB. It is like those couple of games early on last season sealed the deal for Chan.

he must hate Tebow then, probably get frustrated that he can't swear when he is around 0:)

Very nice article.

Isn't this the dilemma for every major executive? You have to make tough decisions. "It's always lonely at the top."

it's a tough place for tough people

Fabulous read. Thanks for sharing.

I've always liked Rex Ryan, and don't understand why so many people don't. He's honest. And funny.

Seems like he is the anti Bilichick, a guy who cut a player the day before the Superbowl last year.

that was harsh but he wasn't going to play so ....