jets looking to trade sanchez, gives us another shot at flynn?

truth on hold

NY daily news is reporting jets plan on trying to trade Sanchez in the off season. Seriously where us he going to go? Only coach and situation I see making sense us Carroll and Seattle. They're set on Wilson and could use an experienced backup. Carroll coached Sanchez at USC andwas openly critical of the silly tebow red zone substitution situation jets put him in this year. Going to Seattle gets him as far away from the hostile NY market as well. Sanchez to Seattle puts Flynn back on the market

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As trooth suggests, Sanchez will be cut before he's traded because his contract is untradeable.

Players agree to contract mods quite often when traded. Reuniting with coach carroll would be a strong incentive for him to make some concessions.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

dude... Jets take a $17.5M cap hit if they do that. Aint gonna happen.

Not saying you are wrong, because I'm not sure, but if the Jets traded him why would they take the cap hit? Did you mean if they cut him they take the cap hit?

and give up 8 million? If he wants to reunite with carrol wait until he gets cut, keep the 8 mil then sign with Carroll

Not all of it hawks will pay him something. And trading Flynn frees up that money. Sanchez has made a ton of money and can afford to give up some guaranteed if he wants a shot at continuing his career

Not saying you are wrong, because I'm not sure, but if the Jets traded him why would they take the cap hit? Did you mean if they cut him they take the cap hit?

I'm pretty sure it works as follows; when you trade a player you are hit with a cap hit equal to the amount of gauranteed (the bonus money) left on the contract. So if you signed a 5 year $10M deal with $5M gauranteed and are traded or cut after year 2, you would be hit with a $3M cap penalty. Typically the gauranteed money is split evenly over the life of the deal. 2013 will be the final season of his rookie deal with the signing a bonus of $2.5 for that final year of the rookie deal and $1.6 from the new deal which overlaps. The next three years all have $1.6M signing bonus associated with the recent contract extention. So, he's owed $8.9 in bonus (gauranteed) money remaining that would be penalized if he's cut or traded.

However, as part of his extention contract, Sanchez's SALARY for 2013 is also gauranteed at over $8M. The total cap hit for a trade/cut before June 1 is $17.1M. If cut after June 1 they can spread it over 2 years for a penalty of $12.35M in 2013 and $4.8M in 2014.

Any team that receives him in a trade would not be accountable for any money in 2013 since the Jets have to pay that gauranteed Salary and signing bonus money. They would most likely resign him to a new deal though (he would agree since he would have no gauranteed money after 2013 and a cut from the new team would yield zero cap penalty to that team).

Confusing, yes, but there you have it.

Either way I love the disaster that franchise is in! And they are currently already $20M over the cap before having to deal with him!

Edited by Mark80

How can you be hit with a guys salary after you've traded him and now someone else is paying him?

Because the Jets are stupid and garuanteed his Salary on top of his signing bonus which is always gauranteed. It is something that is very rarely done and a pretty moronic move in this case. It was part of the extension contract agreement. The Jets will be paying the $8M salary regardless of where he plays and it will hit their cap. If another team signs him (or trades for him), they are only responsible for what they agree with him for which would be in addition to the $8M the Jets are paying him.

Edited by Mark80

Because the Jets are stupid and garuanteed his Salary on top of his signing bonus which is always gauranteed. It is something that is very rarely done and a pretty moronic move in this case. It was part of the extension contract agreement. But without a new deal from the new team, the Jets will be paying his 2013 salary regardless of who he plays for.

I think that analysis is wrong and only applies yo cutting someone. Otherwise youd have a double counting of salary between old and new team

I think that analysis is wrong and only applies yo cutting someone. Otherwise youd have a double counting of salary between old and new team

OK, believe what you want, but that's the way it is. I think you're missing the distinction between the gauranteed Salary and a normal Salary number on the cap. If his 2013 salary was not gauranteed it would only be a $9M cap hit and the new team would be responsible for a 2013 salary, but as it stands, the Jets are responsible since they gauranteed it and anything else is completely seperate (and optional to that new team if they want to restructure/redo his deal).

Edit: Or maybe you're confusing the Trade with the Cut. If traded the Jets contract is still valid and the Jets would be paying his entire salary without a new deal done. If cut, the new team who signs him will have their own deal with thim that they would be paying for, but the Jets are still on the hook for the $8M salary they gauranteed him and he's getting a double dip in the cookie jar then.

I'll correct myself slightly though, the new team would have to agree to pay him at least league minimum if acquired in a trade which would come out of what the Jets are paying him.

Maybe this article can articulate it better than I can:

http://nesn.com/2012...re-2013-season/

Edited by Mark80

Interesting. Can he be traded for cash? For instance some team has interest, but says we're not giving you a pick for him, but in exchange we'll pay a portion of what you owe him.

OK, believe what you want, but that's the way it is. I think you're missing the distinction between the gauranteed Salary and a normal Salary number on the cap. If his 2013 salary was not gauranteed it would only be a $9M cap hit and the new team would be responsible for a 2013 salary, but as it stands, the Jets are responsible since they gauranteed it and anything else is completely seperate (and optional to that new team if they want to restructure/redo his deal).

Edit: Or maybe you're confusing the Trade with the Cut. If traded the Jets contract is still valid and the Jets would be paying his entire salary without a new deal done. If cut, the new team who signs him will have their own deal with thim that they would be paying for, but the Jets are still on the hook for the $8M salary they gauranteed him and he's getting a double dip in the cookie jar then.

I'll correct myself slightly though, the new team would have to agree to pay him at least league minimum if acquired in a trade which would come out of what the Jets are paying him.

Maybe this article can articulate it better than I can:

http://nesn.com/2012...re-2013-season/

It says s trade costs them $13.9mm not the $17.5 In your op. Also I've made clear that under my scenario Sanchez agrees to a cut of some kind tomake the ttrade happen which lowers the hit further. And it says the June 1 cut option lowers it further to $12.5mm. So if they can work out a deal to get it inside the $12.5mm option with hawks that could work. Both jets and Sanchez may view it as better than him farting around on the bench or inactive list while riding out the guarantee where the Jets are stuck paying him $8.25MM anyway

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack