Instagram can sell your pics

/dev/null

What always surprises me, is how angry the Users get when they find out stuff like this. They think they are the customer, and/or have some rights in the matter. Like when people on Facebook were re-posting that stupid "I retain all rights" status, as if that was going to hold up in court.

Here's the deal folks: These services are FREE. The Users use them for FREE. The Users (you and I) are NOT the Customer. We are the Product. Our information and pictures are the Product.

The companies that Facebook sells your personal information and pictures to are the real customers. That is FB's business model.

Here's the deal folks: These services are FREE. The Users use them for FREE. The Users (you and I) are NOT the Customer. We are the Product. Our information and pictures are the Product.

The companies that Facebook sells your personal information and pictures to are the real customers. That is FB's business model.

It's kinda scary how many people fail to understand this. But I suppose if they did we wouldn't get those hysterical "I retain my rights" posts.

Well the good news is it doesnt look as severe as originally reported. They arent necessarily selling your pics to 3rd parties, they are just allowing companies which advertise on Instagram to use your pics in ads they show your friends. Just like Facebook does now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780158/instagrams-new-terms-of-service-what-they-really-mean

What always surprises me, is how angry the Users get when they find out stuff like this. They think they are the customer, and/or have some rights in the matter. Like when people on Facebook were re-posting that stupid "I retain all rights" status, as if that was going to hold up in court.

Bingo!

Well the good news is it doesnt look as severe as originally reported. They arent necessarily selling your pics to 3rd parties, they are just allowing companies which advertise on Instagram to use your pics in ads they show your friends. Just like Facebook does now.

http://www.theverge....hey-really-mean

The Verge is just assuming intent, but you can't do that - you have to go with what it really says. And it's still bad.