5 Moves The Bills Should Make Now To End the Playoff Drought in 2013

IMO, your comments are right on target and you've laid it out clearly and logically. This organization suffers from a perpetual dysfunction. If the NFL was a truely competive business the Bills would have been out of business years ago unable to 'sell' a defective and low quality product. Ownership has benfited to a high degree from the revenue sharing arrangement, success of other franchises in building the NFL brand, and taxpayer subsidies for the stadium and other services. The value of the Bills is more a function of belonging to the NFL monopoly vs. value inherent in the franchise itself. In simple terms, ownership has gotten wealthy by taking pretty much a free ride through the success of others.

My only other additional comment would be that I've concluded many years ago that winning has never been a real priority of ownership. And the few era's of success the team experienced were more a result of dumb luck and random actions vs. any sort of plan to compete on the field. So its doubtful that Mr. Wilson, his heath in question, is going to 'see the light' at this point and do anything fundamentally different at this point in time. Reality may well be we're stuck with this infinite mediocrity until the time comes for a change at the top. A reality that I personnally find to be very depressing and hopeless taken from a fan's perspective.

I don't think the Bills failure is anything to do with the opening or not opening the purse by Wilson. It is simply the uncertainty that comes with his age that is keeping good HC/GMs from coming here. They simply do not want to become scapegoats as part of the transition to a new owner (See what happened to Mike Holmgren in Cleveland). While the Bills have had a decent team, lack of a good coaching staff has been a big problem. Unlike coaches, players have restrictions in selecting their team as they are drafted or signed as FA.

Also, in sounding on about Donahoe, the fact that Donahoe has failed to get another GM job since being fired by Wilson is good evidence that Wilson was more right than Donahoe. I agree that we cannot compare Whaley situation with Donahoe and shy away from making him the GM and allowing him to run the 2013 draft. It is time we move to some young blood and let them work through this mess. Once again, it all starts with the QB. Good QBs make plays at the end to win games. Average/Bad QBs lose games as they can't make the tough throws.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will people just STOP with the trade for Kirk Cousins nonsense! Haven't you learned anything from the Rob Johnson debacle?

If you guys are so obsessed with getting rid of Buddy(which I am not), PLEASE bring back Bill Polian! Polian's record speaks for itself. It will bring respectability back to the organization. No disrespect to Whaley, but Polian is a football genius.

Polian or the Bills will be a Bust.

I'll make a stab at it...

1) Do whatever we need to do, to draft Geno Smith... and make him our day one starter

2) Hire an offensive coordinator who can utilize Geno/Spiller/Stevie and...

3) Dwayne Bowe (sign him)

4) Hire a defensive coordinator who can get our d line dominating and hungry

5) After Geno, draft BPA regardless of what position he is at

Just 5 things? We need more than that.

1. Clean house. Everyone in the front office and coaching staff except Whaley is gone.

2. Actually, really, this time, finally spend some $$$$ on a legit head coach. Not some bottom of the pile nobody else wants him scrub senior citizen.

3. I think Gruden would be a perfect fit for Buffalo. $20 mil year? Done. Build me a winner. He can pick his own staff. Money is no object.

4. Try and trade Fitzpatrick, if nobody wants him, cut him..

5. Cut or do not resign Merriman, Barnett, McGee, Kelsay, Scott, Wilson, Smith and whomever else the new staff thinks should go away.

6. They can get a ton for Spiller, trade him. Spiller is worth a #1, #2 and another pick or player. This would allow for #7.

7. Trade for Kirk Cousins. First? Done.

8. They gave Urbik an extension. Get Byrd & Levitre signed.

9. Free Agency: LB, S, WR, RB. Backup veteran QB not named Fitzpatrick and not from an Ivy League school and make sure he knows he's never starting unless there are injuries.

10. Draft: LB (2), TE, S, WR, RB, CB, QB. LB should be the #1 priority, I'd also like to see them get TE Eifert from ND.

11. Build your offense and defense around your talent. Don't try and have your talent run the offense and defense that you want. Bills should have run the ball 40 times a game not throw it 40 times a game, Their defensive schemes were a giant joke.

12. Either pray or sell your soul for a winning team.

Just to clarify: The column is 5 moves that I would make now - as in over the last two games of the season. There are a host more - and you've touched on many - that I would do in the off-season. If I was in charge, Gailey would be gone now, so that I have the first hop in cherry-picking the young coach/college coach field, Nix would be told that it's Whaley's team the second the game with the Jets is through.

Lots of great ideas being put forth, though. Too bad the Bills don't create a Fan Forum and get some input from their shareholders on the big decisions.

Like it or not the single biggest move we could make to make the playoffs in 2013 is trade for Alex Smith. We need a competant QB and he is lightyears ahead of any other guy in the league that may be available and all the draft picks.

Even with a new coach, we would still have Fitz 'Turdslingin' McGee back there. We need a QB, and if playoffs in 2013 is the goal then Alex Smith is the best option.

We basically need new players at every position. Yes. Every position. Not necessarily new starters in every position, but yeah... That's not even getting to the fact that this coaching staff and front office are horrible. Even though neither of those will change.

We're going to be bad for a long time guys. 13 years is just the start.