Chan take a clue from Leslie Fraser

Webster Guy

Quote from the Minny Head Coach regarding Adrian Peterson:

"We have a number we want to try to get him to by the end of every game which we think will help us be successful."

He's referring to his runner Chan, not his QB Christian Ponder--who by the way has EXACTLY the same completion percentage as Fitz at 62%.

Minny is dead last in the league in yards passing and are in a tougher division than ours but they're 7-6 right now from running the ball and playing defense. I wish Chan would get a number in his head for CJ and work his gameplan and play calling backwards from that number.

I understand AP is a bigger stronger guy than Spiller, and i don't expect Chan to handoff 30 times a game but he needs to change his mindset by looking at some other squads that are built similarly to the Bills and see how they're doing it.

It's no accident that the Bills are 5-22 when Fitzpatrick throws 30-plus times. The less the ball is in his hands and the more it's in Spiller's, the better. Spiller has racked up at least 15 yards on 44% of his touches this year. Giving him the ball 20-25 times per game should be a no-brainer. Alas, the Bills have a moron for a head coach.

Edited by Barry Zuckerkorn

It's no accident that the Bills are 5-22 when Fitzpatrick throws 30-plus times. The less the ball is in his hands and the more it's in Spiller's, the better. Spiller has racked up at least 15 yards on 44% of his touches this year. Giving him the ball 20-25 times per game should be a no-brainer. Alas, the Bills have a moron for a head coach.

And yet the Bills are 9th in rushing attempts. Gee.

PTR

My point is that the Bills do run the ball more than pass though the attempts are split between CJ, Fred and whoever.

PTR

Another angle to ponder: Chan likes to throw when the defense stacks the box and conversely run when the defense is spread out in the nickel and playing the pass. Fred and CJ have both had gaudy rushing averages at times in this offense. Pure coincidence? Maybe not.

And yet the Bills are 9th in rushing attempts. Gee.

PTR

So? I wasn't just talking about rushing attempts. I was referring to putting the ball in their lone superstar's hands any way possible. Spiller has only gotten 20-plus touches once out of 13 games this year, which is completely unacceptable. He has one of the highest yards-per-carry totals ever, yet he's averaging just 11 carries a game. Fred Jackson is averaging the same amount of carries per game despite being a shell of his old self; he's not even in Spiller's stratosphere at this point. Then again, few are. Gailey is too dumb to realize it.

Spiller is not a workhorse and Gailey admits he has " Never " coached a two back system.

But with Fred down , i hope we see CJ with 20 plus carries. Not touches, carries.

I wouldn't mind CJ behind C mac. Spiller has developed the patience.

Counter point is that we are going to have to add protection with Young and Snow. And CJ will struggle with a defensive end in pass pro.

It's hard to coach in the NFL y'know.

Spiller is not a workhorse and Gailey admits he has " Never " coached a two back system.

But with Fred down , i hope we see CJ with 20 plus carries. Not touches, carries.

I wouldn't mind CJ behind C mac. Spiller has developed the patience.

Counter point is that we are going to have to add protection with Young and Snow. And CJ will struggle with a defensive end in pass pro.

It's hard to coach in the NFL y'know.

4 20 17 26 18 9 14 5 22 18 19 9 20 15

Those numbers are the game by game rushing attempts of Spiller's senior season at Clemson. He only had 2 games at Clemson in which he had more than 20 carries, James Davis was the workhorse back his first 3 years at Clemson and Jamie Harper [Titans] shared the load his senior season.

4 20 17 26 18 9 14 5 22 18 19 9 20 15

Those numbers are the game by game rushing attempts of Spiller's senior season at Clemson. He only had 2 games at Clemson in which he had more than 20 carries, James Davis was the workhorse back his first 3 years at Clemson and Jamie Harper [Titans] shared the load his senior season.

are you saying we are limited in Spillers ability to carry the load in the run game ?

If Fred is truly on the decline, and he might well be, we need another RB next year don't we. A pounder.

are you saying we are limited in Spillers ability to carry the load in the run game ?

If Fred is truly on the decline, and he might well be, we need another RB next year don't we. A pounder.

Well, there have been a lot of posts extolling the virtues of having CJ carry the rock over 20 times a game. I knew he was the change of pace guy to Davis his first 3 years at Clemson, so I was curious what he actually did his senior season. He was the #1 RB that season and they got him involved in the passing game and kicking game as well. But, he really didn't get the sort of workload that is being clamored for now.

Sort of begs the question of how effective he'd be and how long he'd hold up if they wanted to ride him, like Gailey rode Emmitt Smith or the Bus [edit: or like Frazier is riding Adrian Peterson], no?

You raise an excellent question though. This suggests that the Bills will need to get a 1A pounder back, and that could be soon given the injuries Fred is piling up. Drafting a RB is liable to cause a few fans to throw their TVs, computers, etc. B-)

PS: Marshawn Lynch would be a pretty darn good workhorse (strictly speaking to football issues).