All I want for Christmas is Sean Payton and a new QB

Dreaming of a new coach and QB. Sean Payton with perhaps a Geno Smith or Aaron Murray. Both wrapped in red/white/blue bows. Ah dreams...

The New Orleans thing is interesting. Sean Payton becomes a free agent coach, but NO would be crazy to let him get away. Besides, Ralph has probably never heard of the guy; Buddy will never fire his buddy; and he has time on his contract so we can't let that money go to waste.

The Bills will probably not draft a QB until later rounds (if at all), and then it'll probably be someone 5'2" from some southern school because "well Russell Wilson lit us up last season so we must go smaller!"

Will someone please wake me up when this franchise gets itself out of the mud?

Dreaming of a new coach and QB. Sean Payton with perhaps a Geno Smith or Aaron Murray. Both wrapped in red/white/blue bows. Ah dreams...

The New Orleans thing is interesting. Sean Payton becomes a free agent coach, but NO would be crazy to let him get away. Besides, Ralph has probably never heard of the guy; Buddy will never fire his buddy; and he has time on his contract so we can't let that money go to waste.

The Bills will probably not draft a QB until later rounds (if at all), and then it'll probably be someone 5'2" from some southern school because "well Russell Wilson lit us up last season so we must go smaller!"

Will someone please wake me up when this franchise gets itself out of the mud?

First of all, if the Bills were to someone how get Sean Payton as their head coach, I will run butt naked down my street singing the Bills shout song until my voice gives out, or I'm arrested, whichever comes first.

The situation with Sean Payton is a very intriguing one, especially with rumors that he may be reinstated after the regular season is over. The Saints are my 2nd favorite team, so I really do hope he re-signs with them. I hope that he isn't planning on going to the Cowboys. But I just don't think he would ever want to come to the Bills...

I don't think he is going to leave, but if he did come, I don't think he would draft a QB. When he first got the job at New Orleans he called Parcells about what he should do about the QB position. They had the 2nd overall pick in the draft, with Young, Culter, and Leinart all appearing to be good QB prospects. Parcells told him that he shouldn't trust a rookie, so Payton decided to persue Brees. So, I'm not sure he would want to risk failure by drafting a rookie. On the other hand, there will not be Drew Brees in free agency, so maybe he would draft a QB. I can't see Payton going to Dallas, because of Jone's insistance and being in charge of personel decisions.

One thing I just thought about, if Payton IS allowed to come back after the regular season, he will be available to the highest bidder. With the way New Orleans has performed with him being gone, it only makes him THAT much more valuable. My guess is that when he signs his new contract, whether it be with the Saints or whoever, he will be the highest paid coach in the league. Now here's a question: Can Benson and Loomis afford to have the highest paid coach AND the highest paid player without handcuffing themselves financially?

Also, do you think Payton negotiated coming back before the season is over to drive up the price of his new contract?

Edited by smuvtalker

One thing I just thought about, if Payton IS allowed to come back after the regular season, he will be available to the highest bidder. With the way New Orleans has performed with him being gone, it only makes him THAT much more valuable. My guess is that when he signs his new contract, whether it be with the Saints or whoever, he will be the highest paid coach in the league. Now here's a question: Can Benson and Loomis afford to have the highest paid coach AND the highest paid player without handcuffing themselves financially?

Also, do you think Payton negotiated coming back before the season is over to drive up the price of his new contract?

I would love to see him in Buffalo, but he will re-sign with NO. No matter what they pay him, it will be a small fraction of what they paid Brees.

Coaches are cheap.

they already signed him to a pretty close to highest paid extension. he might get a little more coin but not franchise crippling. the issue there isnt cap - so drews contract means nothing as every team must spend that money. its whether they have the cash flow to support a payton contract and the answer is a big time yes.

I would love to see him in Buffalo, but he will re-sign with NO. No matter what they pay him, it will be a small fraction of what they paid Brees.

Coaches are cheap.

exactly - a record deal would be half of brees annually (bill b tops out at like 7.5m i believe). and again, all teams have to spend the cash on players so how the saints distribute that (extra to a qb and less elsewhere) means nothing here.

they already signed him to a pretty close to highest paid extension. he might get a little more coin but not franchise crippling. the issue there isnt cap - so drews contract means nothing as every team must spend that money. its whether they have the cash flow to support a payton contract and the answer is a big time yes.

That's a relief to hear. I really do hope he stays in New Orleans though. As much as I would love to have him as a Bill, it just isn't happening. I hope he goes back to the Saints and rights the ship that Goodell tried to sink....

I stopped reading after this, kinda creepy.

I never said they were naked or anything. It's a Christmas theme, get your mind out of the gutter.

I can't see NO letting him go, the fans would revolt. I don't see any FA QBs that he would want (no Vick talk please), so I'd figured he'd have to draft a QB. And rookie QBs have been doing well lately, so nobody would judge him for it. I hope he doesn't go to Dallas, I frikin hate Dallas, and I like and respect him too much.

As for the money, I don't even think BB collects anything near what Brees is getting. Maybe 10M a year? Who knows?

Edited by voodoo poonani

Wasn't there rumors earlier this year that because of the suspension, the last year of his deal would be moved to next season? So since he was suspended before the start of this season, this year doesn't count since he isn't being paid IIRC, and his deal is over at the end of next season?

But even if that isn't true or doesn't work out that way, why would NO let him leave? Its not like things are working out better without him now

Wasn't there rumors earlier this year that because of the suspension, the last year of his deal would be moved to next season? So since he was suspended before the start of this season, this year doesn't count since he isn't being paid IIRC, and his deal is over at the end of next season?

But even if that isn't true or doesn't work out that way, why would NO let him leave? Its not like things are working out better without him now

bunch of stuff here - ill try and hit it all....

there are rumors that his last year would be pushed back, but the commissioners office has decided to take the stance (and this is near an exact quote) "we have voided the extension that was signed, and anything else is between SP and the saints." best weve been able to take from that is - seans a free agent unless he signs a new deal.

as to whether hed leave.... thats a two way street. he may want to start fresh even. benson is adamant that hed sue the league if SP leaves and that he intends to make him the highest paid coach around. theres a lot of hope that he will stay but there is also worry with him pushing for his suspension to end with the regular season instead of the superbowl that it may be to survey the field of coaching openings in january (not just to fill out a saints staff, but to get himself a new job). until HE decides hes ready to sign again, theres not much loomis or benson can do. they have shown they are serious in wanting it done by offering him a signable extension last year, and benson has even employed him with the hornets during the suspension to keep his paychecks going well suspended.

bunch of stuff here - ill try and hit it all....

there are rumors that his last year would be pushed back, but the commissioners office has decided to take the stance (and this is near an exact quote) "we have voided the extension that was signed, and anything else is between SP and the saints." best weve been able to take from that is - seans a free agent unless he signs a new deal.

as to whether hed leave.... thats a two way street. he may want to start fresh even. benson is adamant that hed sue the league if SP leaves and that he intends to make him the highest paid coach around. theres a lot of hope that he will stay but there is also worry with him pushing for his suspension to end with the regular season instead of the superbowl that it may be to survey the field of coaching openings in january (not just to fill out a saints staff, but to get himself a new job). until HE decides hes ready to sign again, theres not much loomis or benson can do. they have shown they are serious in wanting it done by offering him a signable extension last year, and benson has even employed him with the hornets during the suspension to keep his paychecks going well suspended.

I see

I just don't understand what his reasoning would be to want to leave? And if he did, its more likely he wants to go somewhere closer to "home" for him, or to somewhere thats closer to winning again then the Saints (but what team getting rid of their coach is closer then the Saints?). Why would he voluntarily leave the Saints, to go to a team further from a championship unless its one of his only choices?

I see

I just don't understand what his reasoning would be to want to leave? And if he did, its more likely he wants to go somewhere closer to "home" for him, or to somewhere thats closer to winning again then the Saints (but what team getting rid of their coach is closer then the Saints?). Why would he voluntarily leave the Saints, to go to a team further from a championship unless its one of his only choices?

the common thought is that dallas is the destination if he leaves. he tried to bring romo to new orleans before brees, he love him some jerry jones (the two are VERY close), before the divorce his family was (and still is) living in dallas.... Its a situation that would be very comfortable for him.

that is pretty much the only scenario that scares the bejesus out of most saints fans. i dont think hed go to some schlub organization in a random spot just to start fresh and build from scratch.

hes also turned down the bills before (he was a potential prospect when he interviewed for the saints, and on advice from his mentors around the league he passed on even interviewing i believe) if i am going to chime in with some more info on the OPs wishes.

Edited by NoSaint

the common thought is that dallas is the destination if he leaves. he tried to bring romo to new orleans before brees, he love him some jerry jones (the two are VERY close), before the divorce his family was (and still is) living in dallas.... Its a situation that would be very comfortable for him.

that is pretty much the only scenario that scares the bejesus out of most saints fans. i dont think hed go to some schlub organization in a random spot just to start fresh and build from scratch.

hes also turned down the bills before (he was a potential prospect when he interviewed for the saints, and on advice from his mentors around the league he passed on even interviewing i believe) if i am going to chime in with some more info on the OPs wishes.

So fans here are still going to throw a tantrum if he leaves NO and doesn't end up here

He is in a position basically where if he decides he wants out of NO, it will be for a "dream Job" or somewhere closer to home