Why didn't Mario get credited with a 2nd sack??

Special K

On the play where Mario hit Bradford, who fumbled the ball and recovered the fumble and gained a half yard.

Mario was credited with a forced fumble, but shouldn't he also get a sack b/c it was against the QB behind the line of scrimmage?

I'm pretty sure that should be a sack, right?

I mean, earlier in the year Cleveland was awarded a sack when the ball just slipped out of Fitz's hands when nobody touched him.

bradford made it back past the line of scrimmage for a yard gain if I remember correctly, no sack if its a positive gain

I figured that was the rule, but its kind of a dumb one if you think about it.

What if a DE just beats the tackle badly, blindsides the QB ten yards behind the line, the QB fumbles the ball and an OL picks it up and gets back past the line--no sack for the DE...that sucks, IMO.

What if a DE just beats the tackle badly, blindsides the QB ten yards behind the line, the QB fumbles the ball and an OL picks it up and gets back past the line--no sack for the DE...that sucks, IMO.

Think about a QB. Tipped balls or dropped balls that turn into INTs which aren't completely their fault but they still get credited with the INT. Just the way she goes.

Bradford was sacked behind the LOS and recovered his fumble behind the LOS, and advanced it 3 yards. Mario didn't get credited with a sack because he was ruled to be a runner at the point he fumbled.

He actually was a passer, but there was no tackle for a loss, as the play continued. The actual tackle took place beyond the line of scrimmage.

He actually was a passer, but there was no tackle for a loss, as the play continued. The actual tackle took place beyond the line of scrimmage.

After looking it it more, that he advanced it makes it not a sack. Which is dumb. But whatever.

After looking it it more, that he advanced it makes it not a sack. Which is dumb. But whatever.

You think that's dumb? Hypothetical from Sunday- if we block a Rams punt and they recover it behind the line of scimmage, we are charged with a lost fumble. How dumb is that?

You think that's dumb? Hypothetical from Sunday- if we block a Rams punt and they recover it behind the line of scimmage, we are charged with a lost fumble. How dumb is that?

How can that be? For a fumble to occur, there has to be possession. For a muffed punt to occur, that has to be an attempt to field it. I'm not necessarily doubting you here, I'm just wondering how the rule makers came up with that. If you block a punt or a FG and it's recovered by the kicking team behind the l LOS, it's your ball at the spot of the recovery.

GO BILLS!!!

How can that be? For a fumble to occur, there has to be possession. For a muffed punt to occur, that has to be an attempt to field it. I'm not necessarily doubting you here, I'm just wondering how the rule makers came up with that. If you block a punt or a FG and it's recovered by the kicking team behind the l LOS, it's your ball at the spot of the recovery.

GO BILLS!!!

It accounts for the kicking team's ability to advance the ball- I agree, it makes no sense to penalize the team for the block. Hate the rule.

It accounts for the kicking team's ability to advance the ball- I agree, it makes no sense to penalize the team for the block. Hate the rule.

The kicking team can't advance the ball after a block. Whether it's recovered by the kicking team behind or beyond the LOS, it's your ball at the spot of the recovery.

GO BILLS!!!

The kicking team can't advance the ball after a block. Whether it's recovered by the kicking team behind or beyond the LOS, it's your ball at the spot of the recovery.

GO BILLS!!!

I will have to check the book- it may be a field goal and not a punt

SECTION 7—BLOCKED PUNTS

Article 1. A blocked punt is recorded as a “Team” entry (except

when a properly centered ball is fumbled) and not charged against

the individual kicker. Also, charge one punt for zero yards to assure

that the blocked punt is included under “Times Kicked” in team

totals.

If the ball travels toward the kicker’s goal and is recovered by the

blocking team, the yardage is treated as a punt return by the player

who blocked the kick. If the ball travels toward the kicker’s goal and

is recovered by the kicking team, the yardage is treated as a punt

return by the player who blocked the kick; and the blocking team is

charged with a fumble lost, except on fourth down. Remember that

yardage for a blocked punt by an opponent cannot be a negative

fi gure, but is listed as zero yards and the diff erence shall be listed as

punt return yardage for the team blocking the punt.

Edited by Adam

I will have to check the book- it may be a field goal and not a punt

SECTION 7—BLOCKED PUNTS

Article 1. A blocked punt is recorded as a “Team” entry (except

when a properly centered ball is fumbled) and not charged against

the individual kicker. Also, charge one punt for zero yards to assure

that the blocked punt is included under “Times Kicked” in team

totals.

If the ball travels toward the kicker’s goal and is recovered by the

blocking team, the yardage is treated as a punt return by the player

who blocked the kick. If the ball travels toward the kicker’s goal and

is recovered by the kicking team, the yardage is treated as a punt

return by the player who blocked the kick; and the blocking team is

charged with a fumble lost, except on fourth down. Remember that

yardage for a blocked punt by an opponent cannot be a negative

fi gure, but is listed as zero yards and the diff erence shall be listed as

punt return yardage for the team blocking the punt.

Thanks for the legwork, Adam. It's interesting that the fumble is charged, EXCEPT on fourth down. Like so many teams punt before that.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Thanks for the legwork, Adam. It's interesting that the fumble is charged, EXCEPT on fourth down. Like so many teams punt before that.

GO BILLS!!!

Not a problem- I have been statting games for years- by the way, when the kicking team recovers, they can do anything the would have done before the block, including punting again

Not a problem- I have been statting games for years- by the way, when the kicking team recovers, they can do anything the would have done before the block, including punting again

I honestly didn't remember that. But that's right. I was incorrect in thinking the ball goes to the blocking team at the spot the kicking team recovered. But that's only if he's down by contact. Theoretically, a player on the kicking team that recovers can advance the ball for a first down.

GO BILLS!!!

I honestly didn't remember that. But that's right. I was incorrect in thinking the ball goes to the blocking team at the spot the kicking team recovered. But that's only if he's down by contact. Theoretically, a player on the kicking team that recovers can advance the ball for a first down.

GO BILLS!!!

Now try remembering that while inputting stats for a game and having to remember tons of ridiculous rules! lol