What? Killer Instinct is an Issue w/ the Players???

Many of the Bills are saying they need to "develope a killer instinct". What? You're an NFL team and you have to DEVELOPE a killer instinct????!!!! Souldn't that be automatic at that level? I never played football anywhere near the COLLEGE, let alone the pro level. But that to me is as neccessary as running in order to play football.

Wow, am I missing something here?

Many of the Bills are saying they need to "develope a killer instinct". What? You're an NFL team and you have to DEVELOPE a killer instinct????!!!! Souldn't that be automatic at that level? I never played football anywhere near the COLLEGE, let alone the pro level. But that to me is as neccessary as running in order to play football.

When the players say that , WE means "team" including coaches. Like when your HC will take absolutely NO chances to win a ball game. As with Chan. Punt from the 34 (or closer), take no shots at the end zone when in FG range. Even when a team is just barely hanging around and there is blood in the water. I saw a quote from Stevie about the sequence at the end of the half in yesterday's game. He alluded to the possibility of a fumble or negative play if they tried to score a TD there. That is a loser's mentality. It trickles down from your HC, and infects the entire organization. Winners don't think that way. They see an opportunity, where Chan sees an opportunity for failure.

I don't think your missing anything. The "killer" instinct certainly varies from player to player. But, when a passive coach like Chan Failey punts in situations like he has this year. Instead of at least trying FG's, sits his best player, cuts his punter, on and on. That style of coaching is the polar opposite of a killer instinct. Unfortunately sometimes players feed off of that.

It would be interesting to do a anonymous poll of Bills players to get the number of guys playing there just for the paycheck. That would tell a lot about Gailey's team attitude, and how hard they will play for him.

saying that as a football player is as pc as you can get with calling out the coaching staff. It's the roundabout way of saying "we can only run the plays that are called" while also putting some blame on themselves.

Oh, I don't know.....a "killer instinct" would have put The Great Sam Bradford on his ass 4 straight plays, instead of allowing 5 first downs (including a 3rd and 10 and a 4th and 1), 14 plays and 84 yards for 8 points.

Was all that a "play called" by the coach?

"Killer instinct" is playing to win. Going for it on 4th & 7, or kicking a field goal up 5 with a chance to extend the lead to 8.

"Killer instinct" is blitzing instead of playing a conservative prevent defense when the game is on the line.

"Killer instinct" is trading up in the draft to get a franchise QB.

"Killer instinct" is playing with reckless abandon, if you have a chance to tattoo someone you take him out. Think NY Jets Landry Jones, New England's Brandon Spikes, Baltimore's Ray Lewis & Ed Reed.

"Killer instinct" is running the ball on 3rd & 6 knowing full well that you are going for it on 4th down.

"Killer instinct" is throwing the long ball any down, all game long. Think Aaron Rodgers, a guy whose eyes are ALWAYS looking down the field, and only looks short to check down if the long reads are covered.

"Killer instinct" is catching interceptions that hit you in the hand.

"Killer instinct" is shouting & yelling at your coach on the sideline. Think Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis. The real leaders get in peoples faces on the sidelines.

Edited by BigCountryBills

Oh, I don't know.....a "killer instinct" would have put The Great Sam Bradford on his ass 4 straight plays, instead of allowing 5 first downs (including a 3rd and 10 and a 4th and 1), 14 plays and 84 yards for 8 points.

Was all that a "play called" by the coach?

yes plays do tend to get called on defense as well as offense

Gailey's temperament is roughly similar to Jauron's.

And both of their teams play hard but without much of an aggressive spirit.

Teams can be a reflection of their coach's personality AND passive game decisions by a coach certainly don't send a message to the players that they need to play aggressively.

There are many ways to motivate and inspire, one needn't yell and scream. That said, I don't think Gailey ranks very high in the motivation department. The players like him just like they liked Jauron.

Being likable is not a great leadership quality.