BINGO: Sullivan Article

Bronc24

Gailey is over his head as an NFL head coach. He should be fired. AMEN

Look, I'm a big admirer of Jackson. It took me awhile to admit Spiller needed to play more. This idea of “Fred's turn” is something out of Pee Wee league. How about Bills fans getting their “turn” to see their team in a playoff game? PREACH!

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Early in the fourth quarter, the Bills had fourth-and-7 from the Rams' 34. Gailey sent Lindell out to kick a field goal. Then he changed his mind and called a timeout, instead of taking a delay of game.

[...]

But having to call a timeout, rather than have your team take a harmless delay of game, shows a stunning lack of game-day command. It's pretty lame to contend someone gave you bad information on the distance, too.

“Well,” Gailey said, “I was trying to get that to them to take the delay of game, and Scott Chandler saw me tell them to take the delay of game. But I did not know he got that word. So I was scared they were going to snap it. That is why I called the timeout.”

Bigger issue...If you don't even know that your players understood what you told them to do, or even don't know if they HEARD you, there's a far more basic problem of communication on the team that goes well beyond ****ty decision making.

And that's with the QB having a radio in his helmet while you're trying to communicate your intent to the tight end? What the !@#$?

[/size][/font][/color]

Bigger issue...If you don't even know that your players understood what you told them to do, or even don't know if they HEARD you, there's a far more basic problem of communication on the team that goes well beyond ****ty decision making.

And that's with the QB having a radio in his helmet while you're trying to communicate your intent to the tight end? What the !@#$?

the radio does turn off - but generally, yes.

and who has the radio on special teams? honest question.

Edited by NoSaint

It's just pathetic how much coaches out think themselves. Like Sullivan said, "You're 5-7!" Take some damn chances, be aggressive, show faith in your players. Stevie had an awesome first half and did all of nothing in the second half. Spiller can score on any play at any time. Even when the defender thinks they've set the edge, CJ still finds a way to get around them. Use your play makers, let Fitz MANAGE the game. He doesn't need to throw the ball more than 30 times in a 12-7 game. Use Chandler more for stick moving completions, he has great hands and can use his huge body to box smaller defenders out. Some simple steps can go a long way.

That FG-Punt debacle really turned the corner for me.

I didn't think that coaching carousel change was the appropriate course of action for this team.

There is clearly talent on this team. Under Jauron and the no GM experiment at OBD there was no talent on the roster.

Gailey's continued "strategy" of punting from inside's opponents 40 is unforgivable.

Let me give you an example of how an actual NFL's decision option should look when you are 4th and Anything inside an opponents 40 (Meaning your team has driven the ball to the 30s for the people that were fooled by the phrase " inside your opponents 40" )

1. Kick a FG - Low 50s shouldn't be a problem for an NFL kicker.

2. Well the weather has been bad - we had a botched snap - Lets go for it; Worst case the opponent gets the ball in their 30s which is not ideal field position to start a drive.

3. Seriously those are the only two option in the NFL you can't punt inside the 40. Sack up and Kick the FG or go for it. Flip a coin if you can't decide.

4. I don't think you've really thought this out, You're at the 36 even if you give up a sack on a 4th down attempt its not a big deal. You win by scoring points not by pinning an opponent inside the 20 to start a drive. Go for it or Kick the FG

The options go on to about option 100.

100. Okay its 4th and goal at the 39, You should really kick the FG or Go for it, but in this one far off chance that you are in this situation it might be kind of OK - actually no - never mind you should go for it or kick the FG .

The option to punt when inside the 40 is taken off the table in the NFL by any competent coach.

Gailey has punted from inside the 40 6 times by my count.

Then on top of the mind numbing decision to punt on Sunday he did something that has never happened in the NFL and will likely never ever happen again.

Well I'll let Jerry sum it up.

Gailey has become ruled by fear: A fear of Spiller getting tired or hurt, a fear that Ryan Fitzpatrick can't throw into the end zone; a fear that Rian Lindell can't be trusted to kick field goals beyond 50 yards. Two confounding sequences brought this notion crashing home:

Early in the fourth quarter, the Bills had fourth-and-7 from the Rams' 34. Gailey sent Lindell out to kick a field goal. Then he changed his mind and called a timeout, instead of taking a delay of game.

Punting would have been my third choice. I'd sooner have gone on fourth down. What the heck? You're 5-7. Show some guts. But at least have command of the moment and know what you want to do!

“We were not going to go for it there,” Gailey said. “The defense was playing good. We were going to try to pin them back. That was the reason. When I first turned, they told me it was a 50-yard field goal instead of a 52-, 53-yard field goal. We had just dropped the snap on the extra point, so that is why I pulled them back out of there and said, 'Hey, let the defense try to keep them pinned back.' ”

This makes twice in three games that Gailey punted rather than let Lindell kick from 52. He wouldn't let him kick a 50-plus field goal in overtime in Arizona and it worked out. Yes, it was windy Sunday, and they pinned the Rams. But kickers make them from 52 all the time. They sure could have used the three points later.

But having to call a timeout, rather than have your team take a harmless delay of game, shows a stunning lack of game-day command. It's pretty lame to contend someone gave you bad information on the distance, too.

“Well,” Gailey said, “I was trying to get that to them to take the delay of game, and Scott Chandler saw me tell them to take the delay of game. But I did not know he got that word. So I was scared they were going to snap it. That is why I called the timeout.”

Scared. A good word for Gailey these days. Coaching scared, or confused. I asked if the dual duties of coach and coordinator were catching up to him.

In the Business world punting from inside the 40 is like showing up to business meeting in your PJs when the meeting requires a suit. It is ground for termination unless there is an extreeme excuse.

What Gailey did on Sunday was like showing up to to a business meeting in a suit when the meeting requires a suit, then getting up leaving the meeting and returning in your PJs and with a pacifier in your mouth.

It is completely unbelievable that this happened.

Gailey also did this in a live game infront of any potential employer for a Head Coaching job. You think anyone is going to hire him as an Offensive Coordinator after seeing that unbelievable piece of coaching?

It is an action of a man that is entirely unfit for the position or any position that requires game day decisions in the NFL.

Chan Gailey forced Buddy Nix' hand on that move. Buddy Nix cannot allow these game day debacles that happen anymore. Gailey is causing the talent on the team that he assembled to lose.

Seriously that whole series is unbelievable.

Now who in their right mind wants the Head Coaching job in Buffalo?

Edited by Why So Serious?

That FG-Punt debacle really turned the corner for me.

I didn't think that coaching carousel change was the appropriate course of action for this team.

There is clearly talent on this team. Under Jauron and the no GM experiment at OBD there was no talent on the roster.

Gailey's continued "strategy" of punting from inside's opponents 40 is unforgivable.

Let me give you an example of how an actual NFL's decision option should look when you are 4th and Anything inside an opponents 40 (Meaning your team has driven the ball to the 30s for the people that were fooled by the phrase " inside your opponents 40" )

1. Kick a FG - Low 50s shouldn't be a problem for an NFL kicker.

2. Well the weather has been bad - we had a botched snap - Lets go for it; Worst case the opponent gets the ball in their 30s which is not ideal field position to start a drive.

3. Seriously those are the only two option in the NFL you can't punt inside the 40. Sack up and Kick the FG or go for it. Flip a coin if you can't decide.

4. I don't think you've really thought this out, You're at the 36 even if you give up a sack on a 4th down attempt its not a big deal. You win by scoring points not by pinning an opponent inside the 20 to start a drive. Go for it or Kick the FG

The options go on to about option 100.

100. Okay its 4th and goal at the 39, You should really kick the FG or Go for it, but in this one far off chance that you are in this situation it might be kind of OK - actually no - never mind you should go for it or kick the FG .

Well field position is extremely important, especially during a 12-7 game. I understand the reasoning for punting when you just dropped the snap the kick before and the weather was not ideal by any means, but taking a timeout instead of a delay of game and then punting is beyond me.

The thing that I would like to correct on your statement is that if you miss the field goal you also lose another 7 yards based on where the kicker kicked the field goal from. So a kick from the 34 yard like would end up giving the ball to the Rams at the 41, which by my calculations is VERY GOOD field position.

In no way am I defending Gailey, just pointing it out.

Am I the only one who can't read articles from the Buffalo News anymore? It's saying I need to sign up and pay for a subscription to be able to view articles now :-(

Delete the cookie, you get 10 article views, or columns in the case of Sullivan, before the paywall

I like that he grilled Gailey for answers. Someone needs to. And the answers Gailey gave were complete bullschit.

I used to listen to the postgame show...but honestly, as bummed out as I was about the loss of the week, Gailey's answers to questions got me even more depressed. He really is in a bubble...it's almost like he has some other agenda, which doesn't include winning football games, but can't come out and say it...like a politician that is speaking garbage.

What is worse, I admit, I was hoodwinked during Chan's first season and a half...I found his "honesty" refreshing...the offense had been so unberable to watch while Jauron was in charge, that the flair Chan braught to the offensive side was kind of exciting...but it is getting stale now. I mean, the team faced a ton of criticism (and rigthfully so) for drafting CJ Spiller in 2010...it was seen as a self-indulgent pick for an "offensive genious" whose new team had so many other more immediate needs...then, Chan brings him alons so slowly, because, he says "he isn't ready yet"...so three years later, the guy is bursting at the seams, and still doesn't get the ball (despite all visual evidence that he gives the team the best chance to win games) because he is "winded", or "gassed" after 8 freaking touches?

Chan just has to go...even last week, when he finally seems to 'get it" and the team rolls over a very bad Jags team, you think, "okay, better late than never"...so what do we get? Another game of Fitz dinking and dunking, and another (and I count 4 such games this year) where Chan calls a game that plays to his own teams weaness, rather than their strenghts..and another very winnable game falls into the loss column.

In the end, I don't hate Ryan Fitzpatrick, and I think a real NFL calliber OC could win more games with the talent we have. Also, I love what Fred Jackson does for the Bills, but you can't have a head coach who is worrying about appeazing guys, to the detriment of the team winning games. Chan has completely lost me...and I used to be a fan.

I am okay with what Buddy Nix has done...I do think this is a better team than the one he took over, despite the record. But, he has to make a change at the head coach spot.

Am I the only one who can't read articles from the Buffalo News anymore? It's saying I need to sign up and pay for a subscription to be able to view articles now :-(

No, you are not the only one. The Bills ain't worth the $3.99/mo it would cost to have online access.

Well field position is extremely important, especially during a 12-7 game. I understand the reasoning for punting when you just dropped the snap the kick before and the weather was not ideal by any means, but taking a timeout instead of a delay of game and then punting is beyond me.

The thing that I would like to correct on your statement is that if you miss the field goal you also lose another 7 yards based on where the kicker kicked the field goal from. So a kick from the 34 yard like would end up giving the ball to the Rams at the 41, which by my calculations is VERY GOOD field position.

In no way am I defending Gailey, just pointing it out.

I am well aware of where the opponent recives position after a missed FG.

You are incorrect, that is not VERY GOOD FIELD position. I would just call Good. I'd leave the VERY for the otherside of the 50.

More over if you are worried about field position then go for it. If you come up short they get the ball at the 36. More importantly you give your team a chance to you know win the game by scoring points.

Find 3 examples in 2012 of another team punting when inside the 40.

I tried.

It doesn't happen in the NFL.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Wow. I never thought I would say this but I would rather have Dick "gutless" Jauron back then endure another season with Gailey. What a pathetic excuse for a coach! If Nix has his back then he should be fired too.

Gailey mentioned in his press conference that he has been a coach and coordinator for many years so he doesn't believe that a change should be made. Are you serious! That bum has been fired multiple times. Maybe he should make a change because it is apparent that he cannot handle both duties successfully, or better yet, he should switch gears and coach at a local high school in Japan.

http://www.buffalone.../121209126/1004

I don't live in Buffalo and don't ever read Sullivan, but I was interested in what his article would say today. He nailed it.

The below attachment is an elaboration on the topic of the HC and organization by Jerry Sullivan on the Howard Simon show on WGR. Jerry Sullivan has his detractors mostly because he is blunt and provocative. The attachment is 21 minutes long but you don't have to listen to the full segment to get a feel for what he and the radio hosts are saying. There is nothing surprising about his observations that are apparent to all but the devoted true believers.

In a prior segment with Chan Gailey and Howard Simon on WGR Gailey was asked about the lack of use of Spiller. Gailey response was simply non-sensical. It is blatantly obvious that the current HC is a good person but simply out of his depth. The person who hired this retread HC should be fired for malfeasance. There is so little accountability in this bedraggled franchise.

http://audio.wgr550....chan-gailey.htm

Edited by JohnC

Gailey's problem is all too sadly the same as Jauron's: He game plans around what the other team is going to do to stop the Bills and changes his offensive focus accordingly.

We lack killer instinct because we lack coaches who trust their players to do what they're best at and only adjust if it's not working. This has got to suck confidence from our players. Think the Belicheck goes into a game thinking he'll use Welker as a decoy and do something completely different?

Stevie's comments about Fitzy audibles, Spiller's touches, etc all point glaringly at it.