anyone see "Killing Them Softly"?

PaattMaann

Im thinking about going to the movies on saturday to see this...want to know if anyone saw it and if its worth going to see in theatres (usually movies like this wouldnt catch my eye for theatres because of no special effects that warrant a theatre view...but ive got a gift cert. and i think some free time on saturday sooo...)

see it? any good?

Thanks!

I have heard varying opinions on this movie. From awful to excellent...I am inclined to lean more toward the "excellent" side...but I have not seen it. Curious too...a local movie reviewer (who I never agree with) gave it a bad review...but I sometimes question whether she actually has seen the movies she reviews, or, if she is bright enough to understand them. I actually think Pitt is a pretty good actor, and is usually in decent movies...and I read something that said that, essentially, James Gandolfini deserves some Oscar consideration for this movie, but he won't get it, because people will view it as him playing Tony Soprano all over again.

I have heard varying opinions on this movie. From awful to excellent...I am inclined to lean more toward the "excellent" side...but I have not seen it. Curious too...a local movie reviewer (who I never agree with) gave it a bad review...but I sometimes question whether she actually has seen the movies she reviews, or, if she is bright enough to understand them. I actually think Pitt is a pretty good actor, and is usually in decent movies...and I read something that said that, essentially, James Gandolfini deserves some Oscar consideration for this movie, but he won't get it, because people will view it as him playing Tony Soprano all over again.

what were the negatives if you can remember? and was it just this one chick (women's opinions of movies are terrible anyway) or other negative reviews?

I saw two reveiws that said the movie was "unfocused" and mentioned that Gandolfinins' storyline threatens to derail the overall movie...sorry can't remember more...but I also saw some great reviews...I just think sometimes people miss the point. Another complaint seemed to be that the movie takes place in New Orleans, as opposed to Boston (I think) where the novel it is based on (Cogan's Trade) takes place...I have never read the book, so I am not sure exactly why this was such an issue. The reveiwer seemed to think that Boston was like a "character" in the novel, and it lost something making that character New Orleans.

Edited by Buftex

Im thinking about going to the movies on saturday to see this...want to know if anyone saw it and if its worth going to see in theatres (usually movies like this wouldnt catch my eye for theatres because of no special effects that warrant a theatre view...but ive got a gift cert. and i think some free time on saturday sooo...)

see it? any good?

Thanks!

It's pretty great. The director has a very interesting eye (his last film was the beyond excellent Assasination of Jesse James) and the acting is terrific. Just a very well put together film.

However it does have a very leisurely pace. Which i like, but i could see frustrating those who are looking for more of an action film.

I saw and LOVED the assassination of jesse james, and knew this was same director...thats what is appealing to me about this movie...just dont know if its worth seeing in theatres

Its worth seeing on the big screen because, like Jesse James, it's a really beautiful looking film. Plus it's for adults and not in 3d. Worth the support if only for that.

Did she give you some flack after the first time ever she saw your face?

HA!

well this is certainly a mixed bag of reviews...for the last two posters...thanks for the in depth review of why you disliked/liked respectively...lol

I liked it because it had a unique point of view, lots of style, it looked great, the dialogue was great and the acting performances were great. The reviews everywhere are split for this movie. I don't understand the negative reviews at all. Seems to me some people were expecting something else, something lamer, more familiar & predictable. I loved it.