The Marshawn Lynch trade; three years later

peterpan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been 3 years and we play Seattle this week so I think we can grade out this trade.

Lynch for a 4th and 6th.

Those two picks turned into Hairston (backup tackle) and Tank Carder (cut during his 1st preseason).

Given that we also have Jackson and Spiller, was this is good trade?

I say HELLO NO. Discuss

I prefer Lynch's style of running to Spiller's and wish we had drafted JPP.

Chan would give Lynch only 6 touches.

So true :lol: (bc he is he is winded :doh: )

I don't think the trade had anything too do with Lynch's skill level. he was a douche, and seemed like he didn't want to be here.

A probowl running back for an average at best RT..only Bills fans can spin this into a positive.

That's what Bills fans in denial do

. In the end who wouldn't want Lynch if he was a dedicated Bill? One thing for sure the Seahags love him.

Hairston before his injury seemed to regress this year. Maybe he can find his MoJo again next year. I think they drafted Crdner because of his first name? Has he even been active this year?

Buffalo Bills coaches were unable to motivate Lynch to get the best out of him...like so many players over the last decade of losing.

The kid was, and still is, a beast at RB! But what RB wants to keep running into O linemen backs all game long because there is no hole. What RB wants to drag three defenders with him every play to make a few yards. As lame as Gailey is about the defense, Jauron was equally lame about the offense. I don't blame any Buffalo Bills player for not wanting to play for the losers this owner keeps hiring as GM's / HC's.

Plus,like someone else pointed out, Gailey wouldn't even utilize the kid. 5-10 carries a game under Gailey :sick:

Hell no we got the short end of it. They could have easily kept Lynch with Jackson and used the Spiller pick for something else.

I'm not saying Spiller is a bad player...I'm simply saying they had much higher needs than RB at that time. Another example of ineptitude by Nix and Gailey.

They basically made the Lynch #1 pick a waste. We got a decent backup O-lineman for a beast RB. Too many wasted number 1 picks over the last decade (almost decade and a half).

Edited by Azucho98

Nobody really knew if Lynch was going to straighten his act out or not. Sure, I'd be great to have him on the team now because FJ is all but done (concussions, fumblitis, injuries, age). Spiller apparently can't carry the entire load himself. Looks like we will be looking for another RB for next year and yes, Lynch was another wasted 1st round pick. :(

Who cares? Seriously, who cares? Marshawn is no longer with the team. We have two very capable, and in my opinion as good if not better than Lynch. Lynch gets more carries, CJ should be getting that amount of carries. Who's got the better YPC? That's a great indicator of who's the better RB.

I say, once again, who cares? He's not on our team, our RB position is not a problem, no sweat off of our back. Get over it people!

It seems like a lot of people have someone they "know" that works for the Bills, and inside information trickles down from time to time about the draft board, GM moves etc.

I have one of those guys, and he swears that in the 2007 draft the Bills had Revis higher than Marshawn on their board but Ralph Wilson was insistent about getting a running back and Marv Levy did as he was told.

Interestingly enough, the best RB, WR, CB, OT and Inside LB playing in the NFL today were all in the top 14 of that draft. Megatron, Adrian Peterson, Revis, Joe Thomas and Patrick Willis.

He is a probowl running back and pretty close to being the Seahawk franchise player. He couldn't be managed in Buffalo, but apparently he is being managed in Seattle. That would indicate that the fact he couldn't be managed in Buffalo might be the fault of the people charged with managing him.

What we got in return was nothing...

There is also the lost opportunity cost. We "wasted" a first round choice (offensive tackle, linebacker, defensive line?) that could have been a major improvement to the team on Spiller. Spiller may be a probowl back soon and I hope he is. So we took an existing probowler and traded him away for nothing and used the first round to get another someday probowl running back.

Yet another reason for a new administration in the Bills.

Would you wanna be here if you were lynch

Would you wanna be here if you were anyone who isn't from here? Spiller be gone when his contract is up, I am sure he harbors bad feelings for his lack of use after almost 3 seasons. I think Spiller can be a great back, not ever a 25-30 touches back, he is too small. Have always disagreed with the drafting of Spiller with 2-1,000 yard backs on the roster already. If we were a good team then with minimal needs, then great, but this team sucked then, sucks now, has sucked for 12 or 13 years and had too many holes to draft a luxury pick.

i agree with other posters on here..the lynch trade was simply b/c of the issues he had and how it didn't seem he wanted to be in buffalo.

he'll probably run for 120yds vs us this weekend.

Would you wanna be here if you were anyone who isn't from here? Spiller be gone when his contract is up, I am sure he harbors bad feelings for his lack of use after almost 3 seasons. I think Spiller can be a great back, not ever a 25-30 touches back, he is too small. Have always disagreed with the drafting of Spiller with 2-1,000 yard backs on the roster already. If we were a good team then with minimal needs, then great, but this team sucked then, sucks now, has sucked for 12 or 13 years and had too many holes to draft a luxury pick.

gotta agree with this. the first sin was drafting a RB so high when we had so many other needs. the second sin is not even freaking USING him when he's proven to be the most explosive offensive player we have. what a joke.

He is a probowl running back and pretty close to being the Seahawk franchise player. He couldn't be managed in Buffalo, but apparently he is being managed in Seattle. That would indicate that the fact he couldn't be managed in Buffalo might be the fault of the people charged with managing him.

He did pick up that late night DUI in his mid 90s econoline van this year. That was pretty cool, and not a red flag.

What is proper protocol when your young running back with multiple strikes (likely DUI hit and run with teammates in the car, and an incident with guns and drugs in the car) a history of mysterious "mistaken identity" gang related events in HS and college, a reckless running style with a bad back, a desire to get out of town and a great big target on him with local law enforcement and coming off a season where he was suspended multiple games and showed up in underwhelming shape, whos teammates didnt seem to much like him at times, who is a potential major influence on your up ans coming star WR, and he is a guy due for his next big contract and signing bonus? Not to mention, i assume we dont know everything behind closed doors. Do you give him the deal and hope for the best? Or do you take the HUGE talent rb staring you in the face and see what you can get to move on?

I love his talent but let's not pretend he was an easy or obvious situation. It might not have been ideal, but lets also not forget which side was the one that could've fixed it all. It wasn't Nix

The irony that everyone's winning formula is give spiller the ball. Yet taking spiller was the wrong choice.

Sounds like an issue with his touches, not his drafting.

The proper protocol was to coach the kid. Or at least get to know him. If you arrested every weed smoking dude who had a gun in the NFL, there'd be no games on Sunday. I thought he was a humble kid with a rough background. But what I know is he played HARD on Sundays. I always hated getting rid of guys like that. Pat Williams. Antoine Winfield. Heck...even Whitner.

I know what you are saying, but you can't sell a car every time it gets a dent and selling this kid low set us back another year (or 2) in other areas. If the dominoes fall the other way, we still have Lynch and maybe we're looking at Dalton or Kaepernick instead of #14. Who's the next whipping boy to be run out of town? My guess is it's either Fred or George Wilson.

Edited by JPS

If we got ripped off so badly for such a obviously great commodity, where were all the better offers?

There were reports that New Orleans offered a third round pick or more and no one called them back, or they would have offered that, but they were not aware Lynch was even on the block, because no one from the Bills called them, or something like that. I think Green Bay was pissed they missed out on him too, I dont really recall, but it was reported

I thought lynch stunk here-- never hit the hole, too much dancing.

He's totally changed in Seattle. good for him--some kind of light went on.

Do you remember our OL when Lynch was here? Awful they were. But he was still a dominant stud. Remeber that TD, i think it was a reception,v Miami where he breaks like 15 tackles ? He was always good, our OL stunk.

There were reports that New Orleans offered a third round pick or more and no one called them back, or they would have offered that, but they were not aware Lynch was even on the block, because no one from the Bills called them, or something like that. I think Green Bay was pissed they missed out on him too, I dont really recall, but it was reported

Do you remember our OL when Lynch was here? Awful they were. But he was still a dominant stud. Remeber that TD, i think it was a reception,v Miami where he breaks like 15 tackles ? He was always good, our OL stunk.

you mean two NFL GMs had no idea that he was on the block when anyone with a pulse knew he was gone at any moment?

and i know that new orleans rumor is common, but i think its straight made up from what i can tell.

in the end what would be expected to be a late 3 wouldve been that much better than what was anticipated as an early 4 and 6 though? that wouldve changed anything you thought about the trade?

The proper protocol was to coach the kid. Or at least get to know him. If you arrested every weed smoking dude who had a gun in the NFL, there'd be no games on Sunday. I thought he was a humble kid with a rough background. But what I know is he played HARD on Sundays. I always hated getting rid of guys like that. Pat Williams. Antoine Winfield. Heck...even Whitner.

I know what you are saying, but you can't sell a car every time it gets a dent and selling this kid low set us back another year (or 2) in other areas. If the dominoes fall the other way, we still have Lynch and maybe we're looking at Dalton or Kaepernick instead of #14. Who's the next whipping boy to be run out of town? My guess is it's either Fred or George Wilson.

man youve stumbled way off the trail in this one. Suddenly we have dalton or kaepernick if we dont take CJ?

and remind me how well he showed up when suspended? or when he came in after the suspension?

sometimes "just coach him up" isnt a real thing. it sounds nice, its positivity going out in the universe, but when hes still getting arrested in seattle for driving his econoline recklessly and under the influence at 4am..... do you really think its a guy the light came on for? with the issues he had with the police here, do you really think he makes it long term in buffalo without that haunting him?

its possible things go awesome with him here but i think its totally unfair to say all they had to do was mentor him and imply that the team was somehow too lazy or dumb to attempt this along the way. when he left it wasnt a dent - he was riding on three wheels, smoke coming out of the engine, and a dead body in the trunk.

throw some tape on it and see where it gets you might have been a better choice, but i cant kill them for taking the STAR staring at them in CJ, and saying enough with the headache, were not giving marshawn an elite contract. i also dont know that marshawn wouldve stayed in buffalo.

Edited by NoSaint