Yesterday someone mentioned Pat Williams

OnTheRocks

I post this just for consideration. I think it might have been Peter King that alluded to the possiblity of big Pat going to Chicago via FA this offseason. Unless Pat can play Linebacker, I sort of doubt that Chicago will be where he ends up.

-- Lovie Smith Identifies Needs --

Tue Jan 4, 2005 --

The Daily Herald reports Chicago Bears HC Lovie Smith, looking forward to next season, said he needed "some firepower at one of the skill positions.'' And while the defense was the best unit for the Bears, it played a miserable game Sunday against Green Bay. Smith identified linebacker as one position of need. “Missing Brian (Urlacher) hurt a lot, but LB Lance Briggs established himself as one of the linebackers in the league and we still need the other guy to step up,'' Smith said. The coach identified LB Hunter Hillenmeyer and LB Marcus Reese as players who were given a chance to settle in as the team's third linebacker but did not perform well enough to warrant the stamp of approval. Smith also criticized PK Paul Edinger, without naming him. "We know we have to do a better job with field goals and kickoffs,'' Smith said. Smith defended the play of two controversial figures: WR David Terrell and CB R.W. McQuarters. "I don't know why their names would come up,'' Smith said. "David Terrell played hard each down as far as I'm concerned. He showed up and practiced hard. R.W. played corner for us, played safety for us, he was a great return guy, and it is tough to ask a guy to move back to the safety position. He sacrificed for the team. The plan isn't to kick them out."