Farmer Style

boyst

Gonna have a hard winter... Farmers can't get their product to market cheaply with the drought now even effecting the inland waterways.

Source?

Still a better song than "Call Me Maybe."

I like that song, though it's been replaced by "We are never ever ever getting back together" as my chick song...

Source?

I like that song, though it's been replaced by "We are never ever ever getting back together" as my chick song...

They are getting ready to shut down the lower MS due to low water... Most likely around the end of the month. Only gonna get worse if vessels start getting cued up. Price is gonna rise on all bulk commodities.

Her is a sign of times to come:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-barges-mississippibre8b318g-20121204,0,3418236.story

They are getting ready to shut down the lower MS due to low water... Most likely around the end of the month. Only gonna get worse if vessels start getting cued up. Price is gonna rise on all bulk commodities.

Her is a sign of times to come:

http://www.chicagotr...0,3418236.story

Now that you mention that it, I had heard about this. Our farming friends in the midwest are most affected by this. Here in the Carolina's, well, everyone in this country hates our cattle.

To fulfill those wondering why, I will tell you what I heard recently at a meeting I had which put it very well to perspective. Our cattle have to ride 1,500 miles to the feed lots of the lower midwest (Kansas, Oklahoma, etc, the grain belt). These cattle travel just as far as those from North Dakota, but up there cattle is taken much more differently, purely as a business. Cattlemen in NC, for the most part, do so on a smaller operation. The larger operations already have direct source sales and do large tractor trailer groupings. The prices are much better for those because all the cattle are pre-graded for conformity.

Well, here in NC, there is little done to enhance our image. The push for this is moot, as our climate may be good but our soil is far from superior and environment too susceptible to climate changes (rain, water, temperatures).

In the states like Nebraska and Wyoming, etc... the actually pull hair off the animal and check the DNA. They look at individual chromosomes and use a standard mapping sequence to determine how that animal carcass will break down. Many many tests go in to what we eat, its amazing prices remain so low. Checking endophytes in an animal will tell you how the beef may taste, especially in a grassfed animal. Improper mineral feeding or lack of minerals can cause poor tastes. Cattle is getting to be a very large business, which is scary because there is an old saying that businessmen do not make good farmers and farmers do not make good businessmen. It boils down to a businessman will spend 100 hours watching every factor for the best price to get a job done while a farmer will spend 100 hours getting the job done and never watch the price.

Now that you mention that it, I had heard about this. Our farming friends in the midwest are most affected by this. Here in the Carolina's, well, everyone in this country hates our cattle.

To fulfill those wondering why, I will tell you what I heard recently at a meeting I had which put it very well to perspective. Our cattle have to ride 1,500 miles to the feed lots of the lower midwest (Kansas, Oklahoma, etc, the grain belt). These cattle travel just as far as those from North Dakota, but up there cattle is taken much more differently, purely as a business. Cattlemen in NC, for the most part, do so on a smaller operation. The larger operations already have direct source sales and do large tractor trailer groupings. The prices are much better for those because all the cattle are pre-graded for conformity.

Well, here in NC, there is little done to enhance our image. The push for this is moot, as our climate may be good but our soil is far from superior and environment too susceptible to climate changes (rain, water, temperatures).

In the states like Nebraska and Wyoming, etc... the actually pull hair off the animal and check the DNA. They look at individual chromosomes and use a standard mapping sequence to determine how that animal carcass will break down. Many many tests go in to what we eat, its amazing prices remain so low. Checking endophytes in an animal will tell you how the beef may taste, especially in a grassfed animal. Improper mineral feeding or lack of minerals can cause poor tastes. Cattle is getting to be a very large business, which is scary because there is an old saying that businessmen do not make good farmers and farmers do not make good businessmen. It boils down to a businessman will spend 100 hours watching every factor for the best price to get a job done while a farmer will spend 100 hours getting the job done and never watch the price.

Thanks for the info! Very interesting!

Talk about misinformation. Just because there are large cattle operations in the West, does not mean that all western cattle operations are large corporations using practices you describe. And those large operations are in the east as well. Some of the largest cattle ranches in the country are in Florida.

Talk about misinformation. Just because there are large cattle operations in the West, does not mean that all western cattle operations are large corporations using practices you describe. And those large operations are in the east as well. Some of the largest cattle ranches in the country are in Florida.

It is not misinformation. Cattle systems in the Southeast, primarily Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, parts of Kentucky and Georgia are not as organized as a unit as those in other states. The cattle in Florida, Texas, and in between along the Gulf region are generally different then those further North. Those up North are different then those down south. If you put an Angus (black heat magnet, small frame cattle retaining heat) in Florida or Texas his weight would melt off like butter. If you put a Brahma (large bug resistant, dry climate tolerant, and hardy cattle) influenced cattle in Montana he would not have the gains of an Angus influenced animal.

For this argument we will simply take a Hereford x Limousin. The Limousin is one of the oldest cattle breeds in the world, while the Hereford is a British small bodied breed known for early maturation. This animal would do well in either climate.

The Hereford x Limousin weanling sold at open auction in this situation would grow exactly the same in all three regions, Florida, NC/SC, and North Dakota. The animal in Florida will get docked because it is coming from Florida, the fuel prices to transport the feed to Florida or the animal to a midwestern feedlot would be cited. This is not entirely the truth. The truth also lies in that the animal from Florida and would not be of the same background verification and conformation background that buyers are accustomed to seeing. Basically, the big buyers may be in Florida but they buy in a different method in Florida due to the business model of open market sales.

The same is true in North Carolina, where, on a smaller scale we have markets that perform this same task. The breeders are not known, on small scale farms, that just take their cattle to stockyard sales.

In many parts of the country, including parts of NC/SC, the SouthEast and what not, there are organized parties that sell the animals in grouped lots. Experts come in and grade the animals on the hoof and assign a rating for them on a BCS score, EPD's, and many other bits of information. This ensures that all the animals will be of similar high quality and reducing the risk of the buyer making the purchase much safer and therefore more more cost effectively insuring that there will be a better carcass yield. This practice is more common in the larger cattle producing states, as farms are larger, networks are more organized, and practices are much more refined. But, we are mostly talking about feedlot cattle purchased at open market for the sole purpose of harvesting.

It is not misinformation. Cattle systems in the Southeast, primarily Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, parts of Kentucky and Georgia are not as organized as a unit as those in other states. The cattle in Florida, Texas, and in between along the Gulf region are generally different then those further North. Those up North are different then those down south. If you put an Angus (black heat magnet, small frame cattle retaining heat) in Florida or Texas his weight would melt off like butter. If you put a Brahma (large bug resistant, dry climate tolerant, and hardy cattle) influenced cattle in Montana he would not have the gains of an Angus influenced animal.

For this argument we will simply take a Hereford x Limousin. The Limousin is one of the oldest cattle breeds in the world, while the Hereford is a British small bodied breed known for early maturation. This animal would do well in either climate.

The Hereford x Limousin weanling sold at open auction in this situation would grow exactly the same in all three regions, Florida, NC/SC, and North Dakota. The animal in Florida will get docked because it is coming from Florida, the fuel prices to transport the feed to Florida or the animal to a midwestern feedlot would be cited. This is not entirely the truth. The truth also lies in that the animal from Florida and would not be of the same background verification and conformation background that buyers are accustomed to seeing. Basically, the big buyers may be in Florida but they buy in a different method in Florida due to the business model of open market sales.

The same is true in North Carolina, where, on a smaller scale we have markets that perform this same task. The breeders are not known, on small scale farms, that just take their cattle to stockyard sales.

In many parts of the country, including parts of NC/SC, the SouthEast and what not, there are organized parties that sell the animals in grouped lots. Experts come in and grade the animals on the hoof and assign a rating for them on a BCS score, EPD's, and many other bits of information. This ensures that all the animals will be of similar high quality and reducing the risk of the buyer making the purchase much safer and therefore more more cost effectively insuring that there will be a better carcass yield. This practice is more common in the larger cattle producing states, as farms are larger, networks are more organized, and practices are much more refined. But, we are mostly talking about feedlot cattle purchased at open market for the sole purpose of harvesting.

:huh:

Almost nothing in that whole response had anything to do with what I said. I didn't say farming practices are not different throughout the country. I said you're broad stroke declaration that western cattle operations work strictly off corporate business structures and large feedlot models, while back east things are all smaller is incorrect.

Are there large feedlots in out west? Yes. Are there large feedlots in the east? Yes. There are also smaller, grassfed, sustainable operations run all over the country. There is far more open land out west (see the nighttime satellite image thread) so of course there are more large operations there, but that doesn't mean there are less small ranches. In fact, since land is generally cheaper, there are far more very small, homestead type ranches that run a few dozen cattle and sell locally through community processors.

Almost nothing in that whole response had anything to do with what I said. I didn't say farming practices are not different throughout the country. I said you're broad stroke declaration that western cattle operations work strictly off corporate business structures and large feedlot models, while back east things are all smaller is incorrect.

Are there large feedlots in out west? Yes. Are there large feedlots in the east? Yes. There are also smaller, grassfed, sustainable operations run all over the country. There is far more open land out west (see the nighttime satellite image thread) so of course there are more large operations there, but that doesn't mean there are less small ranches. In fact, since land is generally cheaper, there are far more very small, homestead type ranches that run a few dozen cattle and sell locally through community processors.

I am not disagreeing what you're saying, which is why I didn't. The power players that influence the cattle industry, though, are the big farms. The large feedlots out West. Those dictate the prices everywhere. The homestead ranches do not impact the commercial beef field, most grassfed operations do not, either.

http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-graphs/all-cattle-numbers.html

An interesting population comparison.

Almost nothing in that whole response had anything to do with what I said.

Which was fitting, since nothing in your response had anything to do with what he said. He never mentioned corporate farming, he only discussed the relative size of the farming establishements.

Guys! Guys! Let's focus here and get back to what jboy and DC Tom were inevitably going to turn this conversation to...

Who'd you rather? Taylor Swift or Carly Rae Jepsen?

Discuss.

I am not sure how Taylor would be intimate, however, I would marry her. Carly Rae Jepsen...not so much, but a nice body there.