Deadspin analysis of Mark Sanchez vs. Eli Manning could easliy apply t

ACor58

Interesting analysis. I guess you could easily have inserted Fitzgerald in for Sanchez. Though in his defense Fitz does not hold on to the ball for long and some of his chance taking has been when he is down by big margins. Lest anyone takes this as defending him I think Fitz needs to be a backup quarterback because at best that is what he is. The Bills relly need an NFl starting QB.

I don't think Sanchez is as bad as he's made out to be. Look at the two coordinators he's played under? Vanilla Schottenheimer and Immitation Vanilla Sparano. Bradford has seriously regressed under Schotty and Sanchez has been totally useless with Sparano, who in my opinion is the most incompetent OC in football. At best, Sparano is an average OL coach. Schotty has no ability whatsoever to field a dynamic or serious passing game

The part that resonates most is the amount of times that Eli throws downfield vs. Sanchez. (same could be said about Fitz).

http://deadspin.com/...to-play-it-safe

Very interesting piece, but I respectfully disagree with your take. Take a look at Fitz's numbers when throwing deep:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

They've been posted before, in other threads and on various Bills sites. I'm pretty sure that Fitzpatrick is dead last among starting QBs in terms of completions, completion %, and passer rating when throwing deep. Whereas he's actually been pretty effective with the short stuff: Only 1 INT this year on passes of 10 yards or less, compared to 11 TDs, with about 70% completions. Sanchez has thrown 5 TDs vs. 5 INTs with about 60% completions on throws of 10 yards or less.

Unlike Sanchez, Fitzpatrick is actually pretty good at throwing the checkdowns and safe stuff, and (helped by our awesome RBs) tends to produce positive results in those situations. On the other hand, he's been absolutely abysmal when throwing deep, and if you look at previous years, last year was the only time he's been at all passable on throws over 20 yards. He's sub-par but not terrible on 10-20 yard intermediate throws, which are the real bread & butter of a good passing game. Sanchez is a little worse on intermediates this year.

I think the best course for the rest of the year is to treat Fitz like Alex Smith last year -- run as much as possible, try to minimize risks, avoid INTs at all costs, be willing to punt, etc. If the D truly is rounding into form (and not just benefiting from playing bad offenses), I think Fitz is good enough at the dink & dunk stuff to supplement our running game.

Very interesting piece, but I respectfully disagree with your take. Take a look at Fitz's numbers when throwing deep:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

They've been posted before, in other threads and on various Bills sites. I'm pretty sure that Fitzpatrick is dead last among starting QBs in terms of completions, completion %, and passer rating when throwing deep. Whereas he's actually been pretty effective with the short stuff: Only 1 INT this year on passes of 10 yards or less, compared to 11 TDs, with about 70% completions. Sanchez has thrown 5 TDs vs. 5 INTs with about 60% completions on throws of 10 yards or less.

Unlike Sanchez, Fitzpatrick is actually pretty good at throwing the checkdowns and safe stuff, and (helped by our awesome RBs) tends to produce positive results in those situations. On the other hand, he's been absolutely abysmal when throwing deep, and if you look at previous years, last year was the only time he's been at all passable on throws over 20 yards. He's sub-par but not terrible on 10-20 yard intermediate throws, which are the real bread & butter of a good passing game. Sanchez is a little worse on intermediates this year.

I think the best course for the rest of the year is to treat Fitz like Alex Smith last year -- run as much as possible, try to minimize risks, avoid INTs at all costs, be willing to punt, etc. If the D truly is rounding into form (and not just benefiting from playing bad offenses), I think Fitz is good enough at the dink & dunk stuff to supplement our running game.

I agree.

I'm not a Fitz backer but Fitz doesn't miss wide open receivers and check down.

Don't think you can replace Fitz for Sanchez in that breakdown.