Chargers announce Norv Turner will be fired at end of season

Alphadawg7

I never understood this as a management strategy. What's the benefit of announcing this now and letting him remain as opposed to quietly going about business knowing that you will be making the change at the end of season? OR why not just fire him and name an interim?

Is this to be sure that they let the potential candidates know that SD is in play?

Edited by filthymcnasty08

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood this as a management strategy. What's the benefit of announcing this now and letting him remain as opposed to quietly going about business knowing that you will be making the change at the end of season? OR why not just fire him and name an interim?

Is this to be sure that they let the potential candidates know that SD is in play?

I just dont see the point either. Let someone else come in as an interim and see if they can get some different results if the current regime is going to be fired anyway.

I agree with your first paragraph and to your second, I'd say "yes."

But why not just let him go? I liked it when the Bills gave Fewell the reins and tested him out.

As for Turner, any team that hires him as a head coach is foolish.

My take is they want it known NOW because they already have a hire for a new HC in mind. Because they let the world know NOW there won't be any second guessing after the season ends. The Chargers will hire Andy Reid after the season is over as he has a home in San Diego and its already been speculated that has looked over the roster and wants the job in SD.

Also Reid might want some of the assistants on the current team so its better just to leave the team alone.

Can you imagine how Charger fans feel towards AJ Smith? That moron fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season, and hired Norv Turner a known loser as HC. The preceded to let half the talent on the offense walk away.

RB Michael Turner- RB Darren Sproles- WR Vincent Jackson- QB Drew Brees. Allowed a OT to hold out during the season and disrupted the continuity of the O line all year

Norv Turner took over a 14-2 team with the most talented roster in the NFL, and drove them into the ground. 11-5, 8-8, 13-3, 9-7, 8-8, 4-8. Phillip Rivers was a top 5 QB, now he sucks worse then Fitz this year :lol:

My take is they want it known NOW because they already have a hire for a new HC in mind. Because they let the world know NOW there won't be any second guessing after the season ends. The Chargers will hire Andy Reid after the season is over as he has a home in San Diego and its already been speculated that has looked over the roster and wants the job in SD.

Also Reid might want some of the assistants on the current team so its better just to leave the team alone.

Can you imagine how Charger fans feel towards AJ Smith? That moron fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season, and hired Norv Turner a known loser as HC. The preceded to let half the talent on the offense walk away.

RB Michael Turner- RB Darren Sproles- WR Vincent Jackson- QB Drew Brees. Allowed a OT to hold out during the season and disrupted the continuity of the O line all year

Norv Turner took over a 14-2 team with the most talented roster in the NFL, and drove them into the ground. 11-5, 8-8, 13-3, 9-7, 8-8, 4-8. Phillip Rivers was a top 5 QB, now he sucks worse then Fitz this year :lol:

Marty must have bumped heads with mgmt and Norv MUST be a very good "yes man" to have survived this long after all of those terrible starts.

So who was the better coach at the Q Marty or Norv you ask? Well if you look at their winning percentage over their time in San Deigo, which of course in German means a whales vagina, they are almost exactly the same Marty .588 Norv .582. I tend to think Norv's first 2 years benefited from Marty building the team.

Im curious...which of these QB's were Elite prospects coming out of college...Montana, Brady, Warner, etc.

Geezus, PTR you just do everything you can to find a way to not draft a QB and keep your beloved Fitz. I have news for you, the Bills will NEVER get a shot at an ELITE QB prospect (which is just a media and fan term because it means very little...see Ryan Leaf and a host of other ELITE prospects) unless they draft in the top 5 at the very min. ELITE QB prospects get drafted #1 overall and in the top 5. They dont fall to 15th in the draft. Great and Elite NFL players have fallen in the draft, but they were not ELITE status going into the draft like RG3 and Luck were.

But guess what...they do not have to be a QB graded to be an ELITE prospect to develop into a top NFL QB. And guess what else...if we drafted a QB who ended up being a good QB and not Elite, that would still be a large upgrade over Fitz who is not a good QB.

I forgot Brady was a top 5 pick. And I forgot Sanchez wasn't a first rounder.

Don't worry, you keep screaming about drafting an elite QB as you obviously know which ones will be elite. Shouldn't the Jacksonville Jaguars have emailed you a job offer because you obviously have the talent to pick out the best prospects?

I bet last year you would've picked Cam Newton and this year you wouldn't have, right?

I forgot Brady was a top 5 pick. And I forgot Sanchez wasn't a first rounder.

Don't worry, you keep screaming about drafting an elite QB as you obviously know which ones will be elite. Shouldn't the Jacksonville Jaguars have emailed you a job offer because you obviously have the talent to pick out the best prospects?

I bet last year you would've picked Cam Newton and this year you wouldn't have, right?

Ok, I am confused...did you mean to reply to someone else and hit mine by accident? I said the exact opposite. I never said we needed to draft an Elite prospect at QB and even said QB's do not have to be an Elite prospect from college to turn into an Elite QB in the NFL and sited guys like Montana, Brady, and Warner who were some of the best of their generation and were never considered Elite prospects. I said we need to just take a good prospect...not a 6th round development guy, but a guy in the first few rounds that we can hopefully develop into a good starter or better.

So if you did mean to reply to me, then maybe you should read my post again because I never said anything you just said I did. Never once have I ever screamed we need an elite prospect...I said we need to take a real prospect...early...not a long shot developmental guy in the late rounds. For every one Brady there are over 1000 washouts in those rounds.

FWIW since you brought up Sanchez and implied he was an elite prospect...In actuality he was never considered an Elite prospect. Just because you are taken high does not mean you were an Elite prospect. JaMarcus Russel was taken #1 overall and no one thought he was even a very good prospect, he just had crazy physical gifts that they hoped they could harness but still had a ton of question marks with what they felt was also a guy with huge upside. Sanchez was the same way, a guy they felt had high upside, but also a lot of question marks.

As far as Cam goes, I would trade a lot to get him right now. At the same time, I did not want to trade up to get him last year as I felt he was riskier than staying where we were and shoring up the DL or LB (depending on who Denver was gonna take). So I was wrong about him on draft night, but I would love to have him now even with his lesser sophomore season. So again, you seem to be completely wrong about everything you seem to think I believe which makes me really wonder if you meant to reply to someone else.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Marty must have bumped heads with mgmt and Norv MUST be a very good "yes man" to have survived this long after all of those terrible starts.

Naa, all Marty did to get fired was state he was going to hire his sons to coach on the team. Brian was the Jets OC and would have had the same job with the Chargers. I don't see a big deal here anyway because Brian was already the Chargers past QB coach. The rub might have been th other son who was a defensive assistant who Marty may have wanted to be the DC.

I don't really see a big problem with this as Marty could train his sons his way. He was a top DC before becoming a HC and knows and understands how important the running game is to an offense.

In Norv's case I think that AJ Smith would have proved by firing Norv Turner that he made the wrong move by hiring him in the first place.

FWIW looking at the Chargers current roster compared to when Schottenheimer was the HC I gotta wonder how much input Marty had on the draft because AJ has fallen on his face the last few years, and Nix sucks in Buffalo. So who was making all those ungodly choices in the draft during Shotty's time in SD?

Edited by FeartheLosing

How much of that roster was John Butler vs AJ Smith? I would not want AJ as the GM but if he played a great role in building those teams then he might have some value to Whaley as a scout. I'm inclined to say no.

I just hope Nix says I am done at the end of the season and the whole organization is turned over to Whaley. I'm ok wih Whaley running the off-season and draft while retaining the current coaching staff - yes even Wannstedt. If the defense continues to improve and looks goos(against weaker competition) and the team doesn't quit on Gailey then maybe Nix is right. Maybe they shouldn't change and get one more off-season infusion of young talent - especially at LB.

Dont have a link yet, but I just got the text message from bleacher report siting San Diego Tribune as the source.

Why not just fire him now though...seems a bit silly to wait until end of season if they already announced he is to be fired.

Updated: AJ Smith too...links below in other posts.

Good, Norv sucks and has only ruined Marty's good team.

I'm curious. Which college QB in this years draft is "elite".

PTR

Jones.

Dont have a link yet, but I just got the text message from bleacher report siting San Diego Tribune as the source.

Why not just fire him now though...seems a bit silly to wait until end of season if they already announced he is to be fired.

Updated: AJ Smith too...links below in other posts.

Good, maybe they release Rivers and we can get him. Then all the "i want a 6 ft 5 superman quarterback with a rocket arm" posters here will shut up for once. then we go 7 -9 again.