The Earth Never Sleeps

I don't think I read it properly... I can see the lights from marine interests on the Nile... BUT why is the whole rive lit more than other rivers around the world... A literal outline of the Nile is visible... There can't be that much light coming from there... Even the remote areas?

??

Not really sure, but as somewhat of an authority on not sleeping, here's my guess:

Some of the pictures are probably composite images resulting from several scans. If you look at the largest scale image (the one showing the whole planet), that has to be a composite. It's only night time for roughly half the earth at a time, so if the image shows the entire planet they must have essentially stitched several different images together.

As for the Nile, have you ever seen a long exposure image of road traffic at night? That kind of photo shows ribbons of white for oncoming headlights and ribbons of red for receding tail lights. If you did something like that for the Nile, you would get a ribbon of white showing the boundaries of the Nile if there were lots of ships with white lights on them.

I have no explanation, though, for why you can see the outline of the Nile in the large scale images, but not the outlines of other navigable rivers, like the Mississippi. That does seem odd.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Not really sure, but as somewhat of an authority on not sleeping, here's my guess:

Some of the pictures are probably composite images resulting from several scans. If you look at the largest scale image (the one showing the whole planet), that has to be a composite. It's only night time for roughly half the earth at a time, so if the image shows the entire planet they must have essentially stitched several different images together.

As for the Nile, have you ever seen a long exposure image of road traffic at night? That kind of photo shows ribbons of white for oncoming headlights and ribbons of red for receding tail lights. If you did something like that for the Nile, you would get a ribbon of white showing the boundaries of the Nile if there were lots of ships with white lights on them.

I have no explanation, though, for why you can see the outline of the Nile in the large scale images, but not the outlines of other navigable rivers, like the Mississippi. That does seem odd.

Nice explanation... That is what I was wonderinig... I didn't think the Nile was on the scale of say other major navigable rivers in the world... Certainly the Yangtze river (or at least the area around the mouth) should be equally as illuminated... Do people actually live ON the Nile, which would explain the light? And no not IN the Nile where most us Bills fans live! ^_^:P