This is who the Bills were better than... for a day

The Bills have STILL only beaten ONE team that has finished the season with a winning record. I'm not seeing the progress (nor the baby Buddy).

(Rankings based on points per game)

2012 NFL Season: Bills 5-9. Offense ranked 19th. Defense ranked 30th.

Offensive and defensive rankings are based on points.

@ HOME

KC: Currently 2-10. Offense ranked 31st. Defense ranked 27th.

Miami: Currently 5-7. Offense ranked 27th. Defense ranked 11th.

Jacksonville: Currently 2-10. Offense ranked 30th. Defense ranked 30th.

AWAY

Cleveland: Currently 4-8. Offense ranked 25th. Defense ranked 16th.

Arizona: Currently 4-8. Offense ranked 32nd. Defense ranked 7th.

2011 NFL Season: Bills 6-10. Offense ranked 14th. Defense ranked 30th.

@ HOME

KC: 7-9. Offense ranked 31st. Defense ranked 12th.

Oakland: 8-8. Offense ranked 16th. Defense ranked 29th.

NE: 13-3. Offense ranked 3rd. Defense ranked 15th.

Philadelphia: 8-8. Offense ranked 8th. Defense ranked 10th.

Washington: 5-11. Offense ranked 26th. Defense ranked 21st.

Denver: 8-8. Offense ranked 25th. Defense ranked 24th.

AWAY

None

2010 NFL Season: Bills 4-12. Offense ranked 28th. Defense ranked 28th.

@ HOME

Detroit: 6-10. Offense ranked 16th. Defense ranked 19th.

Cleveland: 5-11. Offense ranked 31st. Defense ranked 13th.

AWAY

Cincinatti: 4-12. Offense ranked 22nd. Defense ranked 24th.

Miami: 7-9. Offense ranked 30th. Defense ranked 14th.

Edited by voodoo poonani

I think we all agree that they are better than their record. The potential on the team is probably there for a playoff run. IMO it's the coaching staff that has held is back. Just like good to great QBs find a way to win, so do coaches and Chan hasn't done this.

I fixed some of the records and updated the last two years rankings.

I think we all agree that they are better than their record. The potential on the team is probably there for a playoff run. IMO it's the coaching staff that has held is back. Just like good to great QBs find a way to win, so do coaches and Chan hasn't done this.

I most certainly do NOT agree. To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are." The Bills have only beaten bad teams with the exception of the ONE win against NE. "Playing close" means nothing. I do not see a playoff contender, and their three year history doesn't say they're building one. If we win a few more games, so what? Potential for a playoff run? That's laughable. Who will have they beaten? Seattle? St Louis? Is that the best we can hope for? Is that their idea of competing? I don't mean competing as in the Bills were leading the Patriots at halftime. I mean competing as in who's going to wear the division crown. Competing for who is playing for home games in the playoffs. Competing for who is going to make a run to the Superbowl. This team is NOT the NYG. Chan Gailey should be ashamed to have made the comparison. That's not Eli behind center, and it's not Tom Coughlin on the sideline.

STOP PRETENDING!!!

I'm not. Chan is a joke Nd chances are we won't make the playoffs until Chan is gone. Unfortunately, chan won't be going anywhere, anytime soon. So make all the threads like this that you want. It won't change the fact that Chan is here and to stay for a bit. Keep wishing.

To be fair- and I'm not defending the coaching staff, but rather the players- we instilled a new defensive scheme and added multiple new starters/rotation players. The defense has been second in the NFL since the bye. That's a massive improvement and indicates that the defense has more experience playing with each other; I have faith in its continued improvement. The offense, however, is a different story without improved QB/WR play.

The Bills have only beaten ONE team that has finished the season with a winning record. I'm not seeing the progress (nor the baby Buddy).

2012 NFL Season: Bills 5-7. Offense ranked 16th. Defense ranked 29th.

Offensive and defensive rankings are based on points.

@ HOME

KC: Currently 2-10. Offense ranked 31st. Defense ranked 27th.

Miami: Currently 5-7. Offense ranked 27th. Defense ranked 11th.

Jacksonville: Currently 2-10. Offense ranked 30th. Defense ranked 30th.

AWAY

Cleveland: Currently 4-8. Offense ranked 25th. Defense ranked 16th.

Arizona: Currently 4-8. Offense ranked 32nd. Defense ranked 7th.

2011 NFL Season: Bills 6-10. Offense ranked 14th. Defense ranked 30th.

@ HOME

KC: 7-9. Offense ranked 31st. Defense ranked 12th.

Oakland: 8-8. Offense ranked 16th. Defense ranked 29th.

NE: 13-3. Offense ranked 3rd. Defense ranked 15th.

Philadelphia: 8-8. Offense ranked 8th. Defense ranked 10th.

Washington: 5-11. Offense ranked 26th. Defense ranked 21st.

Denver: 8-8. Offense ranked 25th. Defense ranked 24th.

AWAY

None

2010 NFL Season: Bills 4-12. Offense ranked 28th. Defense ranked 28th.

@ HOME

Detroit: 6-10. Offense ranked 16th. Defense ranked 19th.

Cleveland: 5-11. Offense ranked 31st. Defense ranked 13th.

AWAY

Cincinatti: 4-12. Offense ranked 22nd. Defense ranked 24th.

Miami: 7-9. Offense ranked 30th. Defense ranked 14th.

So what's your point? That we need to beat these teams and we also need to beat the other teams we play? I agree.

To be fair- and I'm not defending the coaching staff, but rather the players- we instilled a new defensive scheme and added multiple new starters/rotation players. The defense has been second in the NFL since the bye. That's a massive improvement and indicates that the defense has more experience playing with each other; I have faith in its continued improvement. The offense, however, is a different story without improved QB/WR play.

And yet the same defense couldn't stop the Texans and Colts in the 4th Qtr.

Clearly this statement has more validity then some fans care to realize. It is indeed the coaching staff holding this team back.

C'mon guys think about it! 100 million to a FA DE, another 12 million to the other FA DE. Mostly draft picks spent on the defensive side of the ball the last 3-7 years.

Draft picks

2006 DB-DT-DB-DB-DT-OT-LB-OT-G, 6 of 9

2007 RB DB-LB-QB-RB-DB-TE-DE, 4 of 7

2008 DB-WR-DE-DB-TE-LB-RB-OT-WR-DB, 5 of 9

2009 DE-C-DB-OG-TE-LB-DB-DB

2010 RB-DT-DE-WR-OT-LB-DB-QB-OT 4 of 9

2011 DT-DB-LB-DB-OT-RB-LB-DB-DT, 7 of 9

2012 DB-OT-WR-LB-DB-OT-LB-OG-K, 4 out of 9

5 of 7 years first round picks on defense. 4 of 7 years 2nd round picks on defense 17 DB's in 7 years!

The Bills have been near the bottom of the NFL defensive standings in yardage that entire time, and they have been particularly bad under Gailey. So bad in fact they set both franchise and NFL records for being bad. With that kind of talent on the team how can you say its not bad coaching?

For the offense, we all saw what a difference running the ball 42 times vs Fitz throwing 17 times against the Jags. That was the very first time in 3 years that the HC ran more then he threw. If only he had done that more often over the last 3 years.

How do you read that into 'this team can't beat decent teams?' To paraphrase Dennis Green 'they are what their record says they are.' We have a lower level mediocre franchise. It starts at the top and works it's way down from there.

Ralph...too many poor hiring decisions.

Buddy...ignoring the QB position. Buddy 'allowing' a talent devoid team to switch defensive schemes thereby creating additional holes to fill then switching back again thereby creating additional holes to fill in.

Gailey...I don't need to go into detail here. A list of his short comings is long, but he shares in the QB situation the team finds itself in and the flip flop flip on defensive schemes.

Who you can't 'blame' are the players. They are trying their best, I have no doubt about that, but the talent is still thin and they are not put into the best position to win by the GM & HC.

I think we all agree that they are better than their record.

I sure don't agree with that and a bizillion other fans don't either. Parcells once said.... "you are what you are". The Bills are 5-7 If they were bettter than that they'd be 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, etc. But. they are clearly not. The Bills do not have one single "quality" win, period. I don't care how much lipstick you apply to this pig. This team stinks and cannot get appreciably better under the current ownership. You ain't sniffin playoffs this year and you ain't sniffing them next season either. Mark that down.

So what's your point? That we need to beat these teams and we also need to beat the other teams we play? I agree.

My point was this continues to be a mediocre team and winning a few more games here at the end doesn't mean anything. People keeping clinging to some hope of making the playoffs this year, but fans just need to come back to reality.

In all seriousness, I agree with the OP not with the thinking that we are better than our record. I think perhaps half the fan base thinks we are better than our record (and half of those are homers).

Would like to know what do others think?

I think we are slightly better than our record this year. There is no reason a team with Spiller, Steve Johnson, our O-Line, Mario Williams and our D-line should not be able to get at least 10 wins. With better coaching we are a 10 win team.

How do you read that into 'this team can't beat decent teams?' To paraphrase Dennis Green 'they are what their record says they are.' We have a lower level mediocre franchise. It starts at the top and works it's way down from there.

Ralph...too many poor hiring decisions.

Buddy...ignoring the QB position. Buddy 'allowing' a talent devoid team to switch defensive schemes thereby creating additional holes to fill then switching back again thereby creating additional holes to fill in.

Gailey...I don't need to go into detail here. A list of his short comings is long, but he shares in the QB situation the team finds itself in and the flip flop flip on defensive schemes.

Who you can't 'blame' are the players. They are trying their best, I have no doubt about that, but the talent is still thin and they are not put into the best position to win by the GM & HC.

Hit the nail on the head!

I sure don't agree with that and a bizillion other fans don't either. Parcells once said.... "you are what you are". The Bills are 5-7 If they were bettter than that they'd be 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, etc. But. they are clearly not. The Bills do not have one single "quality" win, period. I don't care how much lipstick you apply to this pig. This team stinks and cannot get appreciably better under the current ownership. You ain't sniffin playoffs this year and you ain't sniffing them next season either. Mark that down.

Look at the ineptitude on this coaching staff, both offense and defense.

Two of the very best RB's in the NFL In Jackson and Spiller and the Bills pass 35-40 times a game with one good WR in SJ, while running only 20 times. :doh: The Bills are ranked 4th in the NFL in rushing while letting the QB throw all game and being 26th in passing offense. Does it make sense to run more or pass more?

A complete moron for a DC who never blitzed the first 10 games and played a very vanilla style rush with 4, and is the very worst DC in the history of the franchise!

This current roster would be a playoff team THIS YEAR with better coaching! Say switch coaching staffs with the Texans or 49ers and its buying playoff tickets time. The Bills suck because ownership meddles,and refuses to hire top people to run his football side.

My point was this continues to be a mediocre team and winning a few more games here at the end doesn't mean anything. People keeping clinging to some hope of making the playoffs this year, but fans just need to come back to reality.

My hope of making the playoffs pretty much ended while watching us lose to the Jets in week one. Before that I hoped that the Bills would win 10 games. I wonder what you thought the win total would be before the season started (when we had only beaten one team with a winning record). Winning as many games in the last quarter of this season can't hurt. It can only help. Beating the Rams can't hurt. Beating what most people think is a good Seattle team would be good. But especially beating the Dolphins and the Jets would show that we can win in our division on a regular basis.

Yes, I agree that we're not good until we can beat better teams, but we have to beat the other losers, too. Every one of them. This team has enough trouble attarcing free agents. You want to see them lose more games to make it more difficult? You can't only build talent though the draft.

My hope of making the playoffs pretty much ended while watching us lose to the Jets in week one. Before that I hoped that the Bills would win 10 games. I wonder what you thought the win total would be before the season started (when we had only beaten one team with a winning record). Winning as many games in the last quarter of this season can't hurt. It can only help. Beating the Rams can't hurt. Beating what most people think is a good Seattle team would be good. But especially beating the Dolphins and the Jets would show that we can win in our division on a regular basis.

Yes, I agree that we're not good until we can beat better teams, but we have to beat the other losers, too. Every one of them. This team has enough trouble attarcing free agents. You want to see them lose more games to make it more difficult? You can't only build talent though the draft.

I felt very much the same way watching them get dismantled by the jests. I thought we would win AT LEAST ten games, but I was blinded by my homerism.

I don't see how winning any more games this season can help. Unless it's that this team won't "reach" for a QB in the draft, so maybe they'll get far enough down where they don't feel they'r reaching. I think it makes the fans feel better about a team that is NOT better than the year before. I think the games are meaningless. If they lose, perhaps someone in the FO would see that, "hey, I thought this was the easy part of the schedule... what's going on? why are we so bad?" Then try and figure that out. If they win all these games, I'll be indifferent. They need to beat teams that own the playoffs on a consistent basis. Trying to sneak into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth by beating the dregs of the league is pathetic, and I'll say it again NOT PROGRESS.

Buffalo is never going to be a "destination city" for free agents. We will have to overspend. Besides, it doesn't seem to help Dallas and Washington to always throw money at free agents. To the draft, you have to be able to get the right players in order to improve the team. CJ Spiller is a stud, but we were stacked at the position when they drafted him. What have we ever gotten out of Troup? The jury is still out on Dareus (I'm sure the family situation is tough). Aaron Williams gets hurt and the defense gets better. Gilmore looks good so far, but it's still too early. Glenn looks capable. Those are the top six, the others are not really worth mentioning. The quarterback situation has been ignored the entire time this FO has been here (Levi Brown in the seventh doesn't really count, he never even made the roster).

I also see a problem with coaching. There are plays that are missed, sure. S. Johnson is open so often he should have flags to wave at Fitz. They use timeouts like kleenex. They punt instead of attempting 50 yard field goals in domed stadiums. Their best weapons are often on the bench at critical points in the game. And they put WAY too much faith in a VERY limited QB.

"Since Chan has been here we have beaten one team with a winning record (patriots last year). Looking at the rest of our schedule for the year I do not see that stat changing.. "

The above quote was taken from this BB and another BB. Assuming this stat is true it indicates that our talent base is not a match against the better teams in the league. A similar dismal stat of losing against good teams occurred during the Jauron era. The league schedulers can somewhat disguise how bad a franchise is by over-weighting its schedule with weaker opponents. When the Bills played good teams such as the 49ers, Texans and Pats (first game) this season the discrepancy in talent was stark.

There is nothing unusual for teams to have a down cycle after an extended up cycle. The best current example is Philly. However, for a franchise to be stuck in the mud of mediocrity for a generation and the same franchise having a losing record over a half century of operation under the same owner and operating philosophy is a clear indication that until the organization is re-structured nothing will appreciably change.

I'm not saying anything new or hasn't been said before. The outcomes are basically same because the owner is the same. Whether he is in control of the franchise or because of his declining health his surrogates are acting on his behalf the out-dated approach to the game is still in place.

The best way to change the dynamics of a stuttering franchise is to hire the best football people to managage the operation with minimal interference. My recommendation is to promote Whaley and let him structure the football operation and staff it the way he wants. He is well schooled in the Steeler model of success and continuity. This archaic franchise needs new youthful energy and thinking compared to the outdated Wilson/Levy/Nix/Gailey approach to the game.

Edited by JohnC

"Since Chan has been here we have beaten one team with a winning record (patriots last year). Looking at the rest of our schedule for the year I do not see that stat changing.. "

The above quote was taken from this BB and another BB. Assuming this stat is true it indicates that our talent base is not a match against the better teams in the league. A similar dismal stat of losing against good teams occurred during the Jauron era. The league schedulers can somewhat disguise how bad a franchise is by over-weighting its schedule with weaker opponents. When the Bills played good teams such as the 49ers, Texans and Pats (first game) this season the discrepancy in talent was stark.

There is nothing unusual for teams to have a down cycle after an extended up cycle. The best current example is Philly. However, for a franchise to be stuck in the mud of mediocrity for a generation and the same franchise having a losing record over a half century of operation under the same owner and operating philosophy is a clear indication that until the organization is re-structured nothing will appreciably change.

I'm not saying anything new or hasn't been said before. The outcomes are basically same because the owner is the same. Whether he is in control of the franchise or because of his declining health his surrogates are acting on his behalf the out-dated approach to the game is still in place.

The best way to change the dynamics of a stuttering franchise is to hire the best football people to managage the operation with minimal interference. My recommendation is to promote Whaley and let him structure the football operation and staff it the way he wants. He is well schooled in the Steeler model of success and continuity. This archaic franchise needs new youthful energy and thinking compared to the outdated Wilson/Levy/Nix/Gailey approach to the game.

+1

after seeing we have beat 1 team with a winning record in 3 years its way worse than i thought it was..............nice informative post.

geez the bills really are the KC Royals.............most of us just can't see it with our Homer glasses on.

Edited by Ryan L Billz