Go Pelicans?

Justice

I've liked it from the start. Lots of dumb names out there. I can remember when the San Jose Sharks first came into the league. Sounded weird. Same goes for Carolina panthers, Jacksonville jaguars, Carolina hurricanes, Tampa bay lightning, Florida panthers, Tampa rays, Washington Wizards, etc. After a decade or so they sounded normal. Same thing will happen with the Pelicans. I kinda like 'Cans for short.

After spending 5 weeks or so a year in SW Florida. I have a huge amount of respect for the beauty, grace and effectiveness as a bird or prey. They get their catch almost everytime. Then again, I feel the same about Egrets and that doesn't have quite the same ring. :lol:

Why San Jose Sharks? Isn't the Bay known for sharks? I once talked to guy who grew up in that area many moons ago and said how they would "hunt small sharks." Same with the California Golden Seals hockey team... Where there is food (seals) there are sharks.

JAX Jaguars makes sense... Same with Carolina... Those are animals that inhabit those states, or at least did. I think that is the problem... All those names you listed actually have geographical relevance! I personally like the Baltimore Ravens as a spin off of the Edgar Allen Poe presence in Baltimore.

To me what sounds stupid are the:

Los Angeles LAKERS... That is a team originally from Minnesota

Utah Jazz... Originally New Orleans

Indianapolis Colts... Colts should be from Maryland, where there is a strong throughbred history

Arizona Cardinals? Huh? Illinois (Chicago's second football, South Siders @ Soldier field til 1960)... St.Louis after than makes sense too. But, Arizona?

I know nicknames don't have to be geographically linked... But come on with the teams that moved that had an overtly geographically linked name!

The names with "ferocious" animals/people/items get excluded, same with Native American names. Pittsburgh Pirates, possibly okay... BUT not better than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (didn't pirates hide out all along the FLA coast.)

Can anybody think of other names that just DO NOT fit w/the locale?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington Wizards was a PC thing..they were the Bullets(courtesy of Baltimore and their bullet industry)... bullets became a symbol of violence and you know how that could impact our precious utes.

I've liked it from the start. Lots of dumb names out there. I can remember when the San Jose Sharks first came into the league. Sounded weird. Same goes for Carolina panthers, Jacksonville jaguars, Carolina hurricanes, Tampa bay lightning, Florida panthers, Tampa rays, Washington Wizards, etc. After a decade or so they sounded normal. Same thing will happen with the Pelicans. I kinda like 'Cans for short.

After spending 5 weeks or so a year in SW Florida. I have a huge amount of respect for the beauty, grace and effectiveness as a bird or prey. They get their catch almost everytime. Then again, I feel the same about Egrets and that doesn't have quite the same ring. :lol:

Edited by The Poojer

i didn't like it at first...but after seeing the logo, i can definitely get behind it...course i am not a Hornets fan, so it really doesn't impact me one way or another, but in case any Syracuse players go there, I'll have to accept it

I think its fine. Pelicans are pretty bad ass when you think about it. I'm also sick of worn out names like "knights" "stars" "wolves" "avengers" etc etc. At least pelicans is something different

i didn't like it at first...but after seeing the logo, i can definitely get behind it...course i am not a Hornets fan, so it really doesn't impact me one way or another, but in case any Syracuse players go there, I'll have to accept it

Yeah the jersey I'm disappointed with is Brooklyn nets. I thought a good marketer like jz would go for something more creative and colorful. The dumbed down all black looks like a cheap high school uniform and too similar to spurs. I guess jz was going for some kind of dark tough look but IMO its a fail.

http://expressnba.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Deron-Williams-takes-a-look-at-the-monitor-thinks-his-new-tat-looks-a-ok-expressnba-deron-williams-new-brooklyn-jersey-nets-express-nba-news3.jpg

http://m.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2012/10/you-can-bid-on-it-jay-zs-4-brooklyn-nets-jersey.html

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

see, i didn't mind this one...i kind of like the simplicity of it

Yeah the jersey I'm disappointed with is Brooklyn nets. I thought a good marketer like jz would go for something more creative and colorful. The dumbed down all black looks like a cheap high school uniform and too similar to spurs. I guess jz was going for some kind of dark tough look but IMO its a fail.

http://expressnba.co...s-nba-news3.jpg

http://m.gq.com/styl...ets-jersey.html

http://expressnba.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Deron-Williams-takes-a-look-at-the-monitor-thinks-his-new-tat-looks-a-ok-expressnba-deron-williams-new-brooklyn-jersey-nets-express-nba-news3.jpg

http://m.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2012/10/you-can-bid-on-it-jay-zs-4-brooklyn-nets-jersey.html

Though we don't know his final percent ownership, it was once reported as 1/15 of 1%. I'd guess he needs much more to get heavy sway on the jerseys. He disputed the number, but I'm guessing in in a broad sense it's not radically off to say he's a small small percentage.

I'm also taking bets: who will be the first reporter to use the word "pelican'ts" during a losing streak?

Though we don't know his final percent ownership, it was once reported as 1/15 of 1%. I'd guess he needs much more to get heavy sway on the jerseys. He disputed the number, but I'm guessing in in a broad sense it's not radically off to say he's a small small percentage.

He's the media face and marketing force of that franchise. If you want to prove your assumption that his influence is strictly proportional there to equity position show us the proportional coverage of the other 99 & 14/15th% owners.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

He's the media face and marketing force of that franchise. If you want to prove your assumption that his influence is strictly proportional there to equity position show us the proportional coverage of the other 99 & 14/15th% owners.

i understand hes got extra sway potentially - but i think hes ultimately just a local name to attach to a group from Russia. Maybe i am wrong, but i think you are overestimating his involvement and decision making power. he gets to say hes an NBA owner on the cheap, and prokhorov (who makes up atleast 80%) gets a local star to excite the fan base.

Hes certainly more involved than J-Lo with the dolphins but how far that reaches remains to be seen.

Why San Jose Sharks? Isn't the Bay known for sharks? I once talked to guy who grew up in that area many moons ago and said how they would "hunt small sharks." Same with the California Golden Seals hockey team... Where there is food (seals) there are sharks.

JAX Jaguars makes sense... Same with Carolina... Those are animals that inhabit those states, or at least did. I think that is the problem... All those names you listed actually have geographical relevance! I personally like the Baltimore Ravens as a spin off of the Edgar Allen Poe presence in Baltimore.

To me what sounds stupid are the:

Los Angeles LAKERS... That is a team originally from Minnesota

Utah Jazz... Originally New Orleans

Indianapolis Colts... Colts should be from Maryland, where there is a strong throughbred history

Arizona Cardinals? Huh? Illinois (Chicago's second football, South Siders @ Soldier field til 1960)... St.Louis after than makes sense too. But, Arizona?

I know nicknames don't have to be geographically linked... But come on with the teams that moved that had an overtly geographically linked name!

The names with "ferocious" animals/people/items get excluded, same with Native American names. Pittsburgh Pirates, possibly okay... BUT not better than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (didn't pirates hide out all along the FLA coast.)

Can anybody think of other names that just DO NOT fit w/the locale?

I wasn't implying that any of those names weren't geographicly relevant, just that they sounded weird at first because of the lack of familiarity.

whats the reasoning behind Orlando Magic?

Magic is often used in relation to Orlando because of Magic Kingdom. It's not an official nickname or anything, but for locals it's definitely not out of the ordinary.

http://expressnba.co...s-nba-news3.jpg

http://m.gq.com/styl...ets-jersey.html

Same reason the Raiders are often near the top of team jersey sales, no matter how bad they are.

I wasn't implying that any of those names weren't geographicly relevant, just that they sounded weird at first because of the lack of familiarity.

Ooops... I knda caught that after I got on a roll! LoL... Sorry ink!

But it does lead to an interesting discussion of nicknames and the relevance to where the team plays. I used the term "ferocious"... But somebdody else used then term "bad ass" as a better explanation for when the nickname doesn't have area relevance... Bad ass animals/People/items and Native Americans get the geographical/historical pass.

Like the Sabres (But that reverse r and e) gives it a bit of geographical signifiance to BFLO's French roots and close proximity to North America's French hockey culture... ??

Two exceptions that don't fit the "bad ass" rule:

Cubs

Penguins

Sorta like Pelicans?

How can those animals be bad ass? Unless you mess with a cub and get mama bear? Penguins I suppose are bad ass because they can out wit orcas! LoL... Pelican?? Huh??

Chicago Bears (Chicago's original North Side team) I guess goes w/the much earlier formed Cubs... Heck, they both even played @ Wrigley and didn't start playing @ Soldier till 1970... 10 years after the South Side Cardinals left town for St. Louis. And being Chicago and close to the market... Teams like the Bulls and Bears have a geographical presence to "bull" and "bear" market?? Blackhawks were named after the orignal owner's WWI army division,or something like that... But that gets the Native American pass as being "bad ass"... Black Hawk (the native chief) was from this region anyway... The one NA name that probably shouldn't get the NA pass is the Redskins...That is just plain offensive when put into the context of DC and what they did to the Natives... What the heck does that have to do w/Washington DC... Again, historically... Hasn't our gov't screwed over the Natives??

Oh well, I ramble... But it is interesting to look @ team nicknames and analyze them. Sabres and Flyers were chosen from contest winners... BUT wan't there a famous early steam train called the "Philadelphia Flyer?" I never verified that one... But again, I ramble...

You guys obviously didnt see this: http://deadspin.com/...t-new-team-name[

Oh, and I think the teams named Cardinals are named after teams that referred to the color Cardinal Red. The bird aspect just sort of evolved over time, if I'm not mistaken.

The cardinal I think is the most represented state bird... I know, IL, IN, KY, and OH have the cardinal as state bird? But Arizona?? Huh? Now, the sea gul is state bird for Utah... Yes Utah... Bu that makes sense with the Great Salt Lake and all...

The "Oilers" was the name of the minor league team in Olean before it appeared in Edmonton & Houston but it was the same reason for all of those places (hey, there's oil here!). Calgary & Edmonton have a great rivalry now (Flames vs. Oilers) in that the oil comes from the rural areas up near Edmonton but all the money in dealing with the commodity is in Calgary. And yet, the Flames (where the oil "gets burned") get their name from Atlanta in from that move. That's some nice serendipity, right? Atlanta should never have hockey ever again.

(There is a now Southern Tier college league team in Olean called the "Oilers".)

Also - the "Minnesota Vikings" is the best name that links the local heritage to the team name and also sounds cool. I believe this.

You guys obviously didnt see this: http://deadspin.com/...t-new-team-name[

Oh, and I think the teams named Cardinals are named after teams that referred to the color Cardinal Red. The bird aspect just sort of evolved over time, if I'm not mistaken.

From the above article: Pelicans Attack http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=POTUVc5wD8I

thats brutal where they steal the live baby duck from the mother and eat it. Didnt need to see that :(

The "Oilers" was the name of the minor league team in Olean before it appeared in Edmonton & Houston but it was the same reason for all of those places (hey, there's oil here!). Calgary & Edmonton have a great rivalry now (Flames vs. Oilers) in that the oil comes from the rural areas up near Edmonton but all the money in dealing with the commodity is in Calgary. And yet, the Flames (where the oil "gets burned") get their name from Atlanta in from that move. That's some nice serendipity, right? Atlanta should never have hockey ever again.

(There is a now Southern Tier college league team in Olean called the "Oilers".)

Also - the "Minnesota Vikings" is the best name that links the local heritage to the team name and also sounds cool. I believe this.

I was thinking the same thing about those teams! Good points.

BUT, now why the Winnipeg Jets?

Does that fall under the "bad ass animals/people/items/Native American rule" I tried to postulate? New York, I can see... Wasn't Shea stadium/Queens near JFK?

Atlanta Flames has to be twisted... Where else is a negative historical event used for a nickname? Flames is in reference to Sherman's march during the Civil War, right?

Now the Thrashers is a decent one... GA's state bird is the brown thrasher, which is a mockingbird... Right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 2 weeks later...

Better than the alternatives, in hindsight -- New Orleans Mosquitoes was one of the names the NBA trademarked. Rougarou wouldve been an interesting one.

http://www.1061neworleans.com/common/more.php?m=58&article=CA4217D24ABF11E2B03FFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

Yeah, it's a dumb name, but I am thrilled the Hornets will replace the Knobcats in Charlotte.

When you think about it "Sabres" is a silly name for a Buffalo team. Minor teams and colleges often have the best names anyway.

Lansing Lugnuts

Auburn Doubledays

St Louis Billikins

So. Ill. Salukis

Peedee Pride (defunct)

Odessa Jackalopes

Navy Midshipmen

UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

PTR