Go Pelicans?

Justice

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow..that is really bad. A city with so much culture, you would think the brain-trust could come up with something better than that... the New Orleans Voodoo or something...but Pelicans just does not work for a male sports teams.... :thumbdown:

After finding out that the Pelican is the state bird and that Louisiana is the pelican I think the name is still dumb.

I thought it was a joke at first and laughed, then found out they were serious and was sad for their fans, then I remembered the name Pelicans and laughed again. Pistol Pete is rolling in his grave because you know the mascot will be Pelican Pete.

After finding out that the Pelican is the state bird and that Louisiana is the pelican I think the name is still dumb.

I thought it was a joke at first and laughed, then found out they were serious and was sad for their fans, then I remembered the name Pelicans and laughed again. Pistol Pete is rolling in his grave because you know the mascot will be Pelican Pete.

yup. its awful.

but ill stress again, the nba has AWFUL names. I mean, Utah jazz? LA Lakers? even stuff like the "nets" being lame or whats the reasoning behind Orlando Magic? Detroit is named after a car part. not to mention the weird plural vs singular issues that they have with a lot of newer names. Buffalo Bills is about the strangest it gets in the NFL and thats actually a bit creative in nature (and accounts for the fact that 70% are named after animals but the city was already an animal) and the other 30% are just cool imposing things like giants, titans or patriots.

why were they so stubborn as a league about names? they really are bad when you get into the analysis of it all.

Edited by NoSaint

yup. its awful.

but ill stress again, the nba has AWFUL names. I mean, Utah jazz? LA Lakers? even stuff like the "nets" being lame or whats the reasoning behind Orlando Magic? Detroit is named after a car part. not to mention the weird plural vs singular issues that they have with a lot of newer names. Buffalo Bills is about the strangest it gets in the NFL and thats actually a bit creative in nature (and accounts for the fact that 70% are named after animals but the city was already an animal) and the other 30% are just cool imposing things like giants, titans or patriots.

why were they so stubborn as a league about names? they really are bad when you get into the analysis of it all.

I give the Lakers and Jazz a pass bc the team existed before the location but your point stands. I hadn't really thought about it but you are correct there are many sports names are terrible. Funny enough New York is host two that stand out to me - the Metropolitans and knickerbockers namely. Or how about naming the team after a movie (mighty ducks).

Pelicans though maybe because it is new stands out as terrible. It might even be the sport that it is. Can you imagine inner city kids wanting to grow up to play for the Pelicans. Hip hop stars wearing Pelican clothes?

Since you're from the area NoSaint is the Pelican prominent in Louisiana to the point of this being regionally acceptable. I know about the nickname and designation of state bird but is the culture aware of these things? Is the Pelican held up like the bald eagle for America? I'm not saying these in jest I'm being sincere as if they are it would make more sense, maybe not nationally but regionally.

I give the Lakers and Jazz a pass bc the team existed before the location but your point stands. I hadn't really thought about it but you are correct there are many sports names are terrible. Funny enough New York is host two that stand out to me - the Metropolitans and knickerbockers namely. Or how about naming the team after a movie (mighty ducks).

Pelicans though maybe because it is new stands out as terrible. It might even be the sport that it is. Can you imagine inner city kids wanting to grow up to play for the Pelicans. Hip hop stars wearing Pelican clothes?

Since you're from the area NoSaint is the Pelican prominent in Louisiana to the point of this being regionally acceptable. I know about the nickname and designation of state bird but is the culture aware of these things? Is the Pelican held up like the bald eagle for America? I'm not saying these in jest I'm being sincere as if they are it would make more sense, maybe not nationally but regionally.

its known as the state bird, and is featured on the flag.... but its not revered like the eagle or anything. most here think its absurd. the front runners in a straw poll would be "brass" as a nod to the music and brass band culture, and of course "voodoo." One that gained some traction but likely wouldve confused people is "krewe," as in the groups that do mardi gras parades.

and i only give so much of a pass to "utah jazz." thats a disaster. you change the name in a relocation like that, just like dozens of other teams have.

The NBA screwed up big time when they let the Jazz name leave the city. It was perfect. I never could figure the Utah Jazz, very oxymoronic.

When I was like 5 it confused the hell out of me. Utah? Jazz? I didn't think that's where jazz was from but why else would they name their team that!

All kinds of dumb. I want to advocate a name that would insult Utah to force them to give us jazz back.

Pelicans are birds of prey, at least. Better than Arizona Cardinals.

Little known fact - St. Louis cardinals baseball team played the 1899 season under the "perfectos" name, before switching to the cardinals.... I like that way more! But back to the cards of baseball, Which obviously is where the football team got the name. Same name same city, kind of silly in its own right.... An animal can for the most past stay through moving as did for AZ. jazz, never ever should have been in Utah.

Edited by NoSaint

Could easily be the state bird of Iowa... Yes, Iowa.

Pelicans are migratory... I never realized this until I was in Iowa and visted the Pella (yes where the window company is from), IA area... Actually, I don't want to get on my Asian carp thing... But rumor has it that they (pelicans) have now been migrating further to the east in the Illinois river area... And staying longer!

http://news.sportslogos.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/500x509xNew-Orleans-Pelicans-Logo-Concept.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wbB0zH7ZT5.jpg

Im actually a big fan of this logo and color scheme and such - on a dark red uniform. dont think its official, but it warmed me to the name.

I've liked it from the start. Lots of dumb names out there. I can remember when the San Jose Sharks first came into the league. Sounded weird. Same goes for Carolina panthers, Jacksonville jaguars, Carolina hurricanes, Tampa bay lightning, Florida panthers, Tampa rays, Washington Wizards, etc. After a decade or so they sounded normal. Same thing will happen with the Pelicans. I kinda like 'Cans for short.

After spending 5 weeks or so a year in SW Florida. I have a huge amount of respect for the beauty, grace and effectiveness as a bird or prey. They get their catch almost everytime. Then again, I feel the same about Egrets and that doesn't have quite the same ring. :lol: