Self defense or murder?

Fezmid

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson told the Star Tribune: 'The whole thing is very sad that they lost their lives. In the same instance, if they hadn't been breaking into houses, they'd be alive.'

Then again, if he was dumb enough to keep the CCTV recordings, he will/deserves to fry.

Then again, if he was dumb enough to keep the CCTV recordings, he will/deserves to fry.

What do you think he was watching over and over again while waiting to call the police? I know a few profilers who have weighed in on this one already, it's not a pretty picture.

What do you think he was watching over and over again while waiting to call the police? I know a few profilers who have weighed in on this one already, it's not a pretty picture.

yes, you gotta know the tapes aren't likely to exonerate smith...he would have divulged their existence from the start. i'm guessing psychiatry isn't one of docs stronger areas. Edited by birdog1960

I'm not sure how much traction this story is receiving outside of Minneosta. Basically two teens (17 and 18 I believe) broke into this guy's house on Thanksgiving. He shot and killed the first one. Then the girl came down, he shot and wounded her - tried taking another shot, but the gun jammed. She laughed at him, so he grabbed a pistol and killed her too. He called the police the next day (because he didn't want to bother them on Thanksgiving........).

At first the media was portraying him as a monster and the kids as saints. Look for their pictures in various stories and you'll see something similar to the Trayvon Martin case, where they made Martin look innocent.

But now news has been leaking out that the kids are probably responsible for numerous break-ins (cops found $10k worth of guns/drugs in their car from what I read). The girl (maybe both of them) were in and out of rehab. Definitely not good eggs.

So the question remains -- murder, self-defense, or somewhere in the middle?

Here's a story:

http://kstp.com/news...903.shtml?cat=1

And another:

http://www.startribu.../181772751.html

The first story says that the neighbor called the police, which is technically true, but from other accounts, the "murderer/victim" asked the neighbor to call the police after asking for a lawyer reference.

I think that it's an interesting case.

Good point. Walking down the street and breaking into someone's house are exactly the same thing. If you break into someone's house, you get what's coming to you. If Martin was breaking into someone's house, I have 0 issues with what happens next. But what a load of crap in comparing these 2 cases (P.S. I have zero idea what races are involved with this case).

the vast majority of psychiatry in this country is done by primary care docs. You do a lot of psych on anesthetized patients, do you? sorta like hypnotism?

That joke writes itself. Your "i'm guessing psychiatry isn't one of docs stronger areas" comment was dumb since giving any psych e v a l based on what we know about him at this point is worthless.

really? we know the guy killed two teenagers and waited all night to tell anyone. we know that he injured the burglars before killing them and in a sworn statement said he wanted one of them dead and the other he finished with a clean, kill shot through the chin into the cranium. we know he lives by himself in a relatively isolated spot and apparently had few contacts other than his brother. we know neighborhood animals have gone missing and he doesn't like dogs cuz they leave a mess. we know he had cctv set up in his house and recorded a break in and killings. we know he had an interest in firearms and was sitting in his basement on thanksgiving day armed to the teeth. and from all this knowledge, you find it a leap of faith to think it likely that this man has serious psychiatric pathology?

the vast majority of psychiatry in this country is done by primary care docs.

Its been my experience over 35 years that this is not really true.

All of the GP's that I deal with won't even touch that assessment, or order psychiatric meds for our patients. (for fear of lawsuits)

They want a Psychiatrist consult (closest one an hour away) or at least the input from any psych counselors in the area.

All of the GP's that I deal with won't even touch that assessment, or order psychiatric meds for our patients. (for fear of lawsuits)

They want a Psychiatrist consult (closest one an hour away) or at least the input from any psych counselors in the area.

But too many working for HMOs will practice psychiatry, at least to the extent of "Oh, you're feeling down? Here's a script for Prozac." Which is why SSRIs have a reputation for "causing" suicides (because too many PCPs for HMO's don't realize you have to follow up with a depressive patient).

I had a doctor do that to my grandmother - prescribe her an SSRI for grief (which, last I checked, isn't in the DSM IV), I gave that !@#$ holy hell for his bull ****.

Good point. Walking down the street and breaking into someone's house are exactly the same thing. If you break into someone's house, you get what's coming to you. If Martin was breaking into someone's house, I have 0 issues with what happens next. But what a load of crap in comparing these 2 cases (P.S. I have zero idea what races are involved with this case).

How was I comparing the two cases, other than to say the media was portraying the deceased as innocent victims...? :unsure:

really? we know the guy killed two teenagers and waited all night to tell anyone. we know that he injured the burglars before killing them and in a sworn statement said he wanted one of them dead and the other he finished with a clean, kill shot through the chin into the cranium. we know he lives by himself in a relatively isolated spot and apparently had few contacts other than his brother. we know neighborhood animals have gone missing and he doesn't like dogs cuz they leave a mess. we know he had cctv set up in his house and recorded a break in and killings. we know he had an interest in firearms and was sitting in his basement on thanksgiving day armed to the teeth. and from all this knowledge, you find it a leap of faith to think it likely that this man has serious psychiatric pathology?

If it's proven that he's killed animals in his neighborhood, that changes things somewhat. If it's found he's killed other people outside his home, as in unsolved murders, that changes everything. But again that goes back to "what we know at this time." To me it looks like a guy who was sick of having his and others' houses broken into and set up surveillance to catch the perps. When they arrived while he was home, he shot them dead rather than trying to detain/disarm 2 young and possibly (at least the guy) physically stronger people, rather than leaving them alive to sue him for harming them. I don't know if he watched the tapes over and over again. I don't know if he's now got a taste for murder and will become a serial killer.

If it's proven that he's killed animals in his neighborhood, that changes things somewhat. If it's found he's killed other people outside his home, as in unsolved murders, that changes everything. But again that goes back to "what we know at this time." To me it looks like a guy who was sick of having his and others' houses broken into and set up surveillance to catch the perps. When they arrived while he was home, he shot them dead rather than trying to detain/disarm 2 young and possibly (at least the guy) physically stronger people, rather than leaving them alive to sue him for harming them. I don't know if he watched the tapes over and over again. I don't know if he's now got a taste for murder and will become a serial killer.

On the other hand, we know quite conclusively that birddog's a ****ty excuse for a profiler who can't even distinguish between what he knows and what he assumes.

So this conversation hasn't been completely useless.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm5-in-distress/201003/normal-grief-vs-depression-in-dsm5you might want to check dsm V. it deals directly with the diagnosis of depression in the presence of grief.

i was thinking of linking to some left wing blog, citing some unknown md who has the facts wrong but this will have to do http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2925161/.