Self defense or murder?

Fezmid

i was thinking of linking to some left wing blog, citing some unknown md who has the facts wrong but this will have to do http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2925161/.

LOL........it seems that you continue to demonstrate little comprehension of what is "right wing, what is "unknown", and what is actual personal experience.

Sad for you, but hey at least you show that you know how to use the Google search function.................................

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL........it seems that you continue to demonstrate little comprehension of what is "right wing, what is "unknown", and what is actual personal experience.

Sad for you, but hey at least you show that you know how to use the Google search function.................................

because anecdote is so much more powerful than actual data.... and i have just a bit of personal experience and anecdotal evidence as well.

And you're quoting diagnostic criteria that don't even exist yet.

Thanks for demonstrating why you shouldn't be practicing psychiatry as a PCP. :lol:

believe me, it's not something i cherish. unfortunately, psychiatrists are so far down the medical food chain that only a rare few altruists consider it. we do it out of necessity.

If someone has the criminal inclinition to be in someone's home without their permission, with the intent to steal from them, there is no telling how far they will go or what else they might be capable of. Once someone has been forced into that undesirable position by the perpetrator of a crime, the perpetrator has lost all say in what the victim feels to be reasonable self-defense. Without being in the room, it's impossible to know what was going through the man's head. The amount of shots fired into the first criminal might seem excessive until one considers the fact that the man was dealing with two threats, and may have felt the need to be sure that the first was dealt fatal damage, such that he could be sure that they would no longer be any threat at all while he dealt with the second criminal. In dealing with the second criminal, it's impossible to say if the man still perceived her to be a threat after wounding her. We don't know what was said, or if the man still felt threatened or not.

Given how little we can actually know about the perceived threat the man may or may not have felt, I'm going to err on the side of the man who was defending himself and his property.

usually im the one posting this so ty for the rare occasion that i dont have to

not enough info but i concur that the one thing we know for sure is if you break into somebodys house with the intent to steal you are in the wrong from the start and bear a great deal of the responsibility for any tragedies that happen as a result

Sounds to me like two high teenagers got high and felt entitled to romp around and have a movie-like adventure.

They met up with the wrong psycho.

Not everyone lives a movie.

Not everyone is rational at all times.

Another Perfect Storm.

Another pair of teens unexpectedly meeting the cold reality of death.

I still don't know where I fall on this subject but I do know one thing:

I can't stand the fact that when someone (in this case 2 people) is clearly not of right body and mind, is breaking the law, known to have broken the law in the past and dies they are evangelized. Man these kids may not have asked to be murdered (obviously) but they were clearly no saints. All of the pics are of happy smiling teens and a mug shot of the homeowner who looks like a lunatic. Nothing was learned from the Trayvon Martin case, just like nothing was learned from the Duke lacrosse case before that.

Guy in my town gets stabbed to death. News story - expectant father killed on his own porch. Reality - he had 2 girls pregnant at the same time, had previously robbed the kid who killed him and had that kid by the throat when he was stabbed. He alo had recently been released from jail but the paper spun it as was about to enroll in classes at the local community college. Can't stand it.

I still don't know where I fall on this subject but I do know one thing:

I can't stand the fact that when someone (in this case 2 people) is clearly not of right body and mind, is breaking the law, known to have broken the law in the past and dies they are evangelized. Man these kids may not have asked to be murdered (obviously) but they were clearly no saints. All of the pics are of happy smiling teens and a mug shot of the homeowner who looks like a lunatic. Nothing was learned from the Trayvon Martin case, just like nothing was learned from the Duke lacrosse case before that.

Guy in my town gets stabbed to death. News story - expectant father killed on his own porch. Reality - he had 2 girls pregnant at the same time, had previously robbed the kid who killed him and had that kid by the throat when he was stabbed. He alo had recently been released from jail but the paper spun it as was about to enroll in classes at the local community college. Can't stand it.

I agree with your overall sentiments, but this case is a bit different. According to this guy's own words, she posed about as much threat to him as if he had her handcuffed to the radiator when he shot her. Of course I'm sure if that were the case some up-tight law & order ass hole would defend that too.

I'm not sure how much traction this story is receiving outside of Minneosta. Basically two teens (17 and 18 I believe) broke into this guy's house on Thanksgiving. He shot and killed the first one. Then the girl came down, he shot and wounded her - tried taking another shot, but the gun jammed. She laughed at him, so he grabbed a pistol and killed her too. He called the police the next day (because he didn't want to bother them on Thanksgiving........).

At first the media was portraying him as a monster and the kids as saints. Look for their pictures in various stories and you'll see something similar to the Trayvon Martin case, where they made Martin look innocent.

But now news has been leaking out that the kids are probably responsible for numerous break-ins (cops found $10k worth of guns/drugs in their car from what I read). The girl (maybe both of them) were in and out of rehab. Definitely not good eggs.

So the question remains -- murder, self-defense, or somewhere in the middle?

Here's a story:

http://kstp.com/news...903.shtml?cat=1

And another:

http://www.startribu.../181772751.html

The first story says that the neighbor called the police, which is technically true, but from other accounts, the "murderer/victim" asked the neighbor to call the police after asking for a lawyer reference.

I think that it's an interesting case.

Without taking the time to read it, I would say somewhere in the middle. The first one is probably self defense. I would think waiting a day to call the police would be a separate crime.