Majority of NYS school districts believe insolvency within 4 years

...and people wonder why I am content with trying to get a job with a municipal worker even though I just graduated with a Bachelor's in Social Studies Education. It certainly ain't getting any better. If any of you have kids who are interested in teaching, DON'T LET THEM! Unless they're something extraordinary (like a female in SS ed, male in Childhood Ed) they don't have a snowball's chance in hell, even if they are an awesome teacher.

I was a Sup't of Schools in WNY for nine years prior to retirement; not surprised at the funding problems. There is no way to deliver the state mandates and the community expectations ranging from academics through sports and special education programming on "yesterday's" revenue sources--property tax levy and state aid.

Several years ago Baltimore School budget types claimed they too had cu everything to the bone and nothing was left to cut. Well, apparently the chauffeur of the Super Intendant making $100k per year was off limits to budget cutters....

I was a Sup't of Schools in WNY for nine years prior to retirement; not surprised at the funding problems. There is no way to deliver the state mandates and the community expectations ranging from academics through sports and special education programming on "yesterday's" revenue sources--property tax levy and state aid.

How does it work in the private sector?

Employees contribute more for benefits, might have to give up some benefits, under performing employees are either let go or not given raises, budgets are trimmed, un necessary expenses eliminated. Etc....