The play by play... revealing and depressing

Mickey

Series by Series, this is what we did on offense:

First:

We run Willis on first and he goes for no gain. Forces a pass on second and it is incomplete which then leads to third and long resulting in a sack. Moorman gets a 53 yard punt (lots of roll) but it comes back because Denney was downfield early.

They end up with the ball at the 43 instead of where it had been, the 29.

Second:

This is after the Randle El fumble. We run Willis on first, this time for 5. We run a play action pass on second and Drew hits Moulds for 9. Willis runs for 13, 20 and a 3 yard TD. Three successive first down plays. Nice. We try a squib kick for some reason that gives them the ball at the 46 but a face mask penalty against Aiken makes it even worse, they start the drive on our 49.

Third:

Drew throws a pick over the middle. We were hoping to catch them off guard with play action on first after we ran so well on the previous series. They anticipated that. Middle LB out muscles the TE for the ball.

Fourth:

Willis goes for no gain on first down for the second time in the game. WE try him again on second and ten and he loses a yard. On 3rd and 11 Moulds runs a crossing pattern and drops the pass which had hit him in stride. Would have been a big play but instead we have to punt from our 15.

Fifth:

We had a first at the Pitt 35 after the Spikes pick, a Pitt penalty and a 6 yard run by Willis but it all comes back due to a crackback block penalty, a 15 yarder that takes back to our own 44, first and 20. Three incomplete passes follow including a drop by Josh Reed.

Sixth:

We run Willis for 4 and follow with a short pass to Neufeld for 5. On third and one Willis is stuffed for a 1 yard loss. Power running team?

Seventh:

With only 1:41 left to play Drew takes it 43 yards all passes with the exception of on 2 yard run by Willis. We get to the Pitt. 20 and kick a field goal. Half time.

Eighth:

Willis goes for no gain, again, on first down. Drew sacked on second down, third and 15. Moulds drops his second pass of the day on a crossing route. I haven't checked the tape yet so maybe the DB made a play. Anyway, we punt.

Ninth:

Our best drive of the day and it almost put us over the hump. Drew goes 6 for 6 on the drive for 48 yards and Willis has runs of 5, 7, 16 and 2 yards. The interference call against Reed kills the drive and Lindell misses the FG. AAARRRGGGHHH.

Tenth:

Willis for only a yard on first. Short pass on second setting up third and 6. They blitz and you know the rest.

Eleventh:

Willis for only 2 yards. A completed pass on second for 7 sets up a third and one. Williams fumbles the pitch on a misdirection play which I think we ran because we were getting stuffed at the line for most of the day with the exeception of two drives. Punt. This one hurt, we needed to answer that Steeler defensive TD.

Twelfth:

We finally get the ball back after Pitt.'s nine minute drive that had been stopped four minutes in but was kept alive by an off sides penalty on Sam Adams. We throw and throw and throw. Drew connects on a long, long, long bomb to Evans for 56 yards. The onsides kick fails and that was it.

There were 5 first down runs that gained nothing or next to nothing. We also got stopped on third and short when we ran a couple of times. All told there were just lots of mistakes. From every corner people were just goofing up. Even Moorman shanked a few. EVery time it looked like we might start pounding on these guys, something went horribly wrong. On top of that it was a safe, close to the vest game plan that just didn't provide opportunities to make big plays to help overcome those mistakes. It was a game plan built on an assumption of error free play. Given the mistakes were making, we needed to gamble more in my opinon.

The biggest disappointment for me was not being able to just run them over which is clearly what the game plan was designed to do. It didn't happen consistently enough to put the Steelers away.

You can blame it all on Drew as I am sure many of you do but this was a teamwide, across the board festival of mistakes.

The biggest disappointment for me was not being able to just run them over which is clearly what the game plan was designed to do.  It didn't happen consistently enough to put the Steelers away. 

You can blame it all on Drew as I am sure many of you do but this was a teamwide, across the board festival of mistakes.

192410[/snapback]

The other half of the biggest disappointment was (dont' forget) that we were

run over again and again....They had the 3rd string QB and was running the

ball every play in that 9 minute drive and we couldn't stop them.

First:

We run Willis on first and he goes for no gain.  Forces a pass on second and it is incomplete which then leads to third and long resulting in a sack.  Moorman gets a 53 yard punt (lots of roll) but it comes back because Denney was downfield early.

They end up with the ball at the 43 instead of where it had been, the 29.

Second:

This is after the Randle El fumble.  We run Willis on first, this time for 5.  We run a play action pass on second and Drew hits Moulds for 9.  Willis runs for 13, 20 and a 3 yard TD.  Three successive first down plays.  Nice.  We try a squib kick for some reason that gives them the ball at the 46 but a face mask penalty against Aiken makes it even worse, they start the drive on our 49.

Third:

Drew throws a pick over the middle.  We were hoping to catch them off guard with play action on first after we ran so well on the previous series.  They anticipated that.  Middle LB out muscles the TE for the ball.

Fourth:

Willis goes for no gain on first down for the second time in the game.  WE try him again on second and ten and he loses a yard.  On 3rd and 11 Moulds runs a crossing pattern and drops the pass which had hit him in stride.  Would have been a big play but instead we have to punt from our 15.

Fifth:

We had a first at the Pitt 35 after the Spikes pick, a Pitt penalty and a 6 yard run by Willis but it all comes back due to a crackback block penalty, a 15 yarder that takes back to our own 44, first and 20.  Three incomplete passes follow including a drop by Josh Reed.

Sixth:

We run Willis for 4 and follow with a short pass to Neufeld for 5.  On third and one Willis is stuffed for a 1 yard loss.  Power running team?

Seventh:

With only 1:41 left to play Drew takes it 43 yards all passes with the exception of on 2 yard run by Willis.  We get to the Pitt. 20 and kick a field goal.  Half time.

Eighth:

Willis goes for no gain, again, on first down.  Drew sacked on second down, third and 15.  Moulds drops his second pass of the day on a crossing route.  I haven't checked the tape yet so maybe the DB made a play.  Anyway, we punt.

Ninth:

Our best drive of the day and it almost put us over the hump.  Drew goes 6 for 6 on the drive for 48 yards and Willis has runs of 5, 7, 16 and 2 yards.  The interference call against Reed kills the drive and Lindell misses the FG.  AAARRRGGGHHH.

Tenth:

Willis for only a yard on first.  Short pass on second setting up third and 6.  They blitz and you know the rest.

Eleventh:

Willis for only 2 yards.  A completed pass on second for 7 sets up a third and one.  Williams fumbles the pitch on a misdirection play which I think we ran because we were getting stuffed at the line for most of the day with the exeception of two drives.  Punt.  This one hurt, we needed to answer that Steeler defensive TD.

Twelfth:

We finally get the ball back after Pitt.'s nine minute drive that had been stopped four minutes in but was kept alive by an off sides penalty on Sam Adams.  We throw and throw and throw.  Drew connects on a long, long, long bomb to Evans for 56 yards.  The onsides kick fails and that was it.

There were 5 first down runs that gained nothing or next to nothing.  We also got stopped on third and short when we ran a couple of times.  All told there were just lots of mistakes.  From every corner people were just goofing up.  Even Moorman shanked a few.  EVery time it looked like we might start pounding on these guys, something went horribly wrong.  On top of that it was a safe, close to the vest game plan that just didn't provide opportunities to make big plays to help overcome those mistakes.  It was a game plan built on an assumption of error free play.  Given the mistakes were making, we needed to gamble more in my opinon.

The biggest disappointment for me was not being able to just run them over which is clearly what the game plan was designed to do.  It didn't happen consistently enough to put the Steelers away. 

192410[/snapback]

As always....thanks for the play by play....

While I dont blame it ALL on Drew...one thing is for sure and HAS been for sure even during the winning streak.....Drew cant make plays unless he gets ideal conditions....and even then a lot of those passes are absolutely horrid....

There should have been 3 interceptions of Drew yesterday.....he didnt make any plays on his own whatsoever.....

And it is time to move on....with both him AND Lindell

Our entire team was lost. It happens, but it does make the team stronger in the long run. I was reading Marv's book and he continually makes that point that only through adversity were the 90s Bills formed. Early screw-ups and mental mistakes paved the way for a predominating toughness that the entire team had. I see the same thing happening with this squad.

As always....thanks for the play by play....

While I dont blame it ALL on Drew...one thing is for sure and HAS been for sure even during the winning streak.....Drew cant make plays unless he gets ideal conditions....and even then a lot of those passes are absolutely horrid....

There should have been 3 interceptions of Drew yesterday.....he didnt make any plays on his own whatsoever.....

And it is time to move on....with both him AND Lindell

192453[/snapback]

I totally agree there, Lindell needs to be replaced. Thankfully, I think TD has finally realized that. Take Nugent in the 2nd round and watch our points per game in 2005 increase dramatically. We no longer have to punt at the 35 because Lindell cant hit the broad side of a barn.

I totally agree there, Lindell needs to be replaced.  Thankfully, I think TD has finally realized that.  Take Nugent in the 2nd round and watch our points per game in 2005 increase dramatically.  We no longer have to punt at the 35 because Lindell cant hit the broad side of a barn.

192456[/snapback]

I'm a Buckeye fan. I'll be surprised if Nugent lasts until pick #20 in the 2nd round. He's a once-in-a-generation kicker. Absolutely amazing, kickoffs and field goals. I hope he does, but I'll bet he's gone when we pick.

I'm a Buckeye fan.  I'll be surprised if Nugent lasts until pick #20 in the 2nd round.  He's a once-in-a-generation kicker.  Absolutely amazing, kickoffs and field goals.  I hope he does, but I'll bet he's gone when we pick.

192489[/snapback]

He'll last to our pick in the 2nd, I'm pretty sure on that. Not that he isnt a fantastic kicker, but unless your name is Al Davis, most teams normally dont draft a kicker until, at the earliest, the last half of the 2nd round. That puts us in perfect position to grab him. I say that if he's around, and as long as no superstar falls to us for some ungodly reason, we should definitely take him. Some people might object to us drafting a kicker with technically our first pick, but I believe those are the people who havent seen him kick. The kid is amazing to watch.

It would be astounding were it not predictable that our two high paid offensive "stars", Bledsoe and Moulds, had awful games and yet there's barely a murmer about Moulds choking in the big game while the obsessives still rail on about the quarterback position.

Moulds finished the season the same way he opened it, literally allowing our chances at victory to slip through his hands. How such a large portion of the fan base can't see the shared responsibility for these losses between our two offensive "stars" paints a disappointing picture of a fan base recognized in the past for possessing a solid grasp of the fundamentals of the game of football.

It would be astounding were it not predictable that our two high paid offensive "stars", Bledsoe and Moulds, had awful games and yet there's barely a murmer about Moulds choking in the big game while the obsessives still rail on about the quarterback position.

Moulds finished the season the same way he opened it, literally allowing our chances at victory to slip through his hands. How such a large portion of the fan base can't see the shared responsibility for these losses between our two offensive "stars" paints a disappointing picture of a fan base recognized in the past for possessing a solid grasp of the fundamentals of the game of football.

192542[/snapback]

I do agree. Bledsoe looked horrible -- the two non-blind side sacks were inexcusible.

However, so were the two third down non-catches by Moulds. Probably at least one of the two, maybe both, would have not gotten the first, but EM HAS to make that catch. Making up 12 of the 15 yards is much better than punting on 4th and 15

192542[/snapback]

I can't comment on this because a wise old sage once told me that only losers watch the ball, so since then I've only been watching the line play. Did Moulds & Bledsoe really look bad? :):lol:

I'm a Buckeye fan.  I'll be surprised if Nugent lasts until pick #20 in the 2nd round.  He's a once-in-a-generation kicker.  Absolutely amazing, kickoffs and field goals.  I hope he does, but I'll bet he's gone when we pick.

192489[/snapback]

We could get a upper-2nd rd pick for TH

I can't comment on this because a wise old sage once told me that only losers watch the ball, so since then I've only been watching the line play.  Did Moulds & Bledsoe really look bad? :)  :lol:

192574[/snapback]

They both played poorly, and considering next season Moulds is scheduled to make a lot more money than Bledsoe it seems only fair to consider that if we're cleaning house of overpaid and underperforming offensive stars the first order of business is deciding where we're shipping Mr. Moulds to.

I'd have to go back and rewatch the tape, but I'm pretty sure a couple of those passes you're describing "hit Moulds in stride" were actually a yard behind him. Sure, being the # 1 guy if he gets his hands on the ball he should catch it, but if you're trying to depict Bledsoe hitting guys in the numbers then you're sadly mistaken. Bledsoe's accuracy seems to be failing him more and more. Passes behind a guy, passes thrown too low, or passes thrown past a guy and the only saving grace is the defensive back or safety couldn't make a catch that hit them in the hands.

You Bledsoenians are really reaching...

:)

192542[/snapback]

Actually....I agree with you AKC....

I was VERY dissapointed in Moulds play....and I am starting to warm up to the idea of trading him

I do agree.  Bledsoe looked horrible -- the two non-blind side sacks were inexcusible.

However, so were the two third down non-catches by Moulds.  Probably at least one of the two, maybe both, would have not gotten the first, but EM HAS to make that catch.  Making up 12 of the 15 yards is much better than punting on 4th and 15

192570[/snapback]

Absolutely. If we're talking about a highly paid star who has NEVER come up in the big game- we can just as easily be talking about Eric Moulds as Drew Bledsoe. The standard some fans have set for Bledsoe is "what big game has he ever won for his team". Moulds is paid even more money than Bledsoe- how does Eric stack up to the same question?

I'd have to go back and rewatch the tape, but I'm pretty sure a couple of those passes you're describing "hit Moulds in stride" were actually a yard behind him. Sure, being the # 1 guy if he gets his hands on the ball he should catch it, but if you're trying to depict Bledsoe hitting guys in the numbers then you're sadly mistaken. Bledsoe's accuracy seems to be failing him more and more. Passes behind a guy, passes thrown too low, or passes thrown past a guy and the only saving grace is the defensive back or safety couldn't make a catch that hit them in the hands.

You Bledsoenians are really reaching...

:)

192588[/snapback]

Of course Bledsoe has a career of poor accuracy, especially in the short game, but I'd recommend you go back and watch the tape because Moulds inexcusable choke on Sunday did equal damage to our chances as the poor play at QB. Two "stars", two choke performances, two players making too much money for what they give us on the field.

Actually....I agree with you AKC....

I was VERY dissapointed in Moulds play....and I am starting to warm up to the idea of trading him

192595[/snapback]

Definately trade Moulds. Not because of his play here (on the contrary, I think he has alot left in him), but the best value you are going to get for him is now.

Of course Bledsoe has a career of poor accuracy, especially in the short game, but I'd recommend you go back and watch the tape because Moulds inexcusable choke on Sunday did equal damage to our chances as the poor play at QB. Two "stars", two choke performances, two players making too much money for what they give us on the field.

192600[/snapback]

I have no problem in asking Moulds to take a paycut or trying to move him for value with the season he just turned in. You are definitely correct that Eric more often than not came up lacking when the ball was heading his way, but he can still draw defenders away from Evans on reputation alone so I wouldn't axe him without a suitable back-up plan in place.