The Bills Swung & Missed

BuffaloWest

As disappointing as the past three years have now materialized..The Bills did take a big swing and it just has not worked out. Hate on them all day long, but keep in mind-They did try (as best as this organization seems to know how to try)

Fitz Signing: Fitz was the top rated QB in the league last year when they extended him. If he had stayed on that trajectory thru season's end we would have either lost him to another team-or paid a lot more to keep him. It sucks that we had to lock him in for so much $ and see him completely suck ever since-It reminds me of when we extended Jauron when we didnt need to...

Chan Gailey: While no one was thrilled to see this guy resurrected from football oblivion, we had an embarrassing run of "no one interested in the job". Shanahan wouldnt take the job but used us to inflate his price with Washington. Cowher wouldnt have taken $50 million , lowly Brian Shottenheimer, Russ Grimm and Jim Harbaugh wouldnt even talk to us. Gailey came on with tough talk, sounded like a football man, had some success and maybe reminded us of a Southern Marv Levy-A guy no one wanted anymore, and had limited success, but maybe, just maybe he could catch fire and be the guy Marv once was...Someone everyone else overlooked who just needed the right opportunity.

Dave Wandstadt: When I heard the name Wandstadt I was thinking we lucked into something good there...Then you hear about how badly he sucks from people who are actually familiar with his year to year work and overall resume. I think we all only remember the Dallas teams he was involved with, but the truth is that it was all Jimmy Johnson, and a great roster...The game has passed this guy by...Even though the D played better recently-It is a total mess.

Buddy Nix: Buddy was part of the Polian personnel group and had great success in Buffalo, then under John Butler in San Diego helped draft an amazing team that never quite got there....He was a hell of a lot better than Marv Levy and Russ Brandon and Tom Modrak, and probably Donahoe too. He said the right things, and we believed he would "Show us the baby" by now...Hasnt happened , but he has done some good things.

Not sure where the Bills go now. Will they fire Gailey and Nix?..Probably not-I think they will lay this on Fitz and seek to relegate him to back up or release him and get a new QB and keep Gailey.There will be a lot of teams firing coaches at seasons end, and the best coaches wont go to Buffalo over New York, San Diego ,etc....UNLESS somehow they can convince Polain to come back in a Bill Parcels style role as Bills CEO...Bring in a new coach- Convince Tony Dungy to come out of retirement , Get Mike Vick for a couple of years and draft a qb to come up behind Vick for one-to two seasons....Could work...Whatever we are doing now clearly isnt...

Edited by BuffaloWest

The Bills are like Pigpen with the cloud over his head wherever he goes. I would just put it ALL in Whaley's hands and say "OK ...what can YOU do". It'd be better than watching all these retreads shite all over themselves.

Serious question. Who makes these decisions to "swing"? Buddy Nix? Russ Brandon? Mr. Wilson? Keyser Söze? If so, who MADE these decisions? Is Brandon a good CEO? Is he involved in personel issues, or just the financial and marketing ones?

Would love someone to seriously break down how decisions are made at the top level, and the chain of command, etc. Cause with a frail owner, and a GM whose said Gailey isn't leaving, 13-plus years of no playoffs, and three years into a fruitless rebuilding campaign, who's going to call any potential management change in the offseason?

I see one of two things happening (none of them involve a new coach or GM):

• We keep the same guys and draft a QB in the first or second.
  • We make a play for a big name guy, like Vick, to get fans buzzing again (like they did with TO) and to stop whining.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

It's simple now. Perry Fewell would have possibly been the correct choice. But, he was on the chit list everywhere. Including the Bills FO, and all football boards. He had the Jauron stink, simply by association. Too bad, he was a good interim coach and has a ring to show his DC abilities were better than he ever got credit for.

I'm with the OP here. It's sad to see, hear, and read all the hate going on right now, because the Bills have made a concerted effort, from top down, to put a winning team on the field. We all bought into it, and for good reason.

We signed a gunslinger after suffering through years of gutless, incompetent QB play. Finally, some high draft picks were starting to show promise. The O-Line rose from the dead to become a solid unit. Some unheralded players, like FJ, Stevie, Nelson, Chandler, and G. Wilson, had emerged as consistent Sunday studs. There was legitimate depth at positions that used to be one injury away from catastrophe. Our defensive front four was shaping up be an all-world QB killer. All of these things looked really good on paper coming into 2012-13.

But unfortunately, God still hates Buffalo. And no earthly roster can beat that.

It's simple now. Perry Fewell would have possibly been the correct choice. But, he was on the chit list everywhere. Including the Bills FO, and all football boards. He had the Jauron stink, simply by association. Too bad, he was a good interim coach and has a ring to show his DC abilities were better than he ever got credit for.

Fewell could have been a very solid choice in retrospect. He most likely wouldn't have wanted to blow up the defense, but continue to work with what he had going. That would have freed up the draft to focus more on offense instead of switching to a 3-4. He had already turned the page on Trent Edwards and wouldn't have been inclined to waste an entire off-season dreaming about salvaging Capt. Checkdown's career. A lot is contingent on what he'd have done on the offensive side of the ball, but it is not out of the question that he wouldn't have hired someone with experience (like Chan) for that position. Fewell being a creative, young, energetic coach couldn't have hurt things all that much... instead we end up with a coach that gets us acquainted with the 1950 NY Yanks struggle of futility records.

No God Damn way I want Dungy here? Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched SNF? He's a has been that coached amazing players, not to mention a sure fire HOF in Manning. I want someone that can turn someone into Manning, not coach Manning.

Tim-

I want someone that can turn someone into Manning, not coach Manning.

There isn't a coach on this planet who can turn Fitzpatrick into Manning. The old adage is "You can't coach size & speed," and the same goes for arm strength.

A good coach won't try to turn Fitzpatrick into Manning, but will look to utilize Fitzpatrick's strength to move the ball. Gailey did wonders with him in the first year, until the league caught on. Gailey's trouble is that he hasn't been able to revamp the offense to take the pressure off Fitzpatrick to win the games. It reminds me of why Gilbride was canned here. He was a good coordinator when the Bills were pass happy and had Larry Centers as the FB. The scheme didn't work too well when Centers was replaced by Gash.

Yes! Giving up on everyone, cleaning house, and starting from scratch every 3 years is definitely the key to success!!

I have a lot of love for Ryan Fitzpatrick. The dude hangs in there and gives it his best every week. The problem is, his best is closer to my best than it is to a real NFL QB's. He is simply physically limited in what he can throw. That being said, the Bills only signed him to a mid-level QB contract, not a franchise QB contract, and certainly not a blockbuster contract.

Coaching really needs an upgrade as well, but with the situation Ralph has put the franchise in, that's simply not going to happen.

Buddy and Whaley have done a great job of identifying and acquiring talent to the roster.

I firmly believe that an upgrade at the QB position is the easiest move, and the one that will have the greatest positive impact. By upgrading the QB, you are only replacing one player. Not a system, or a coach, or a GM. Just one guy where it makes a world of difference.

With an upgraded QB we beat the Colts, Titans, and Pats (once), and are sitting at 7-4 instead of 4-7.

We also avoid hitting the reset button on EVERY player's learning curve.

Before we throw everything out just because some fans are frustrated, let's make the easy move and see what happens. Starting over gets us no where except at least 2 more years of losing. Keep moving forward, keep tweaking and fixing and improving.

Yes! Giving up on everyone, cleaning house, and starting from scratch every 3 years is definitely the key to success!!

I have a lot of love for Ryan Fitzpatrick. The dude hangs in there and gives it his best every week. The problem is, his best is closer to my best than it is to a real NFL QB's. He is simply physically limited in what he can throw. That being said, the Bills only signed him to a mid-level QB contract, not a franchise QB contract, and certainly not a blockbuster contract.

Coaching really needs an upgrade as well, but with the situation Ralph has put the franchise in, that's simply not going to happen.

Buddy and Whaley have done a great job of identifying and acquiring talent to the roster.

I firmly believe that an upgrade at the QB position is the easiest move, and the one that will have the greatest positive impact. By upgrading the QB, you are only replacing one player. Not a system, or a coach, or a GM. Just one guy where it makes a world of difference.

With an upgraded QB we beat the Colts, Titans, and Pats (once), and are sitting at 7-4 instead of 4-7.

Before we throw everything out just because some fans are frustrated, let's make the easy move and see what happens. Starting over gets us no where except at least 2 more years of losing. Keep moving forward, keep tweaking and fixing and improving.

I wonder if a similiar message was posted on the Niners' message board during the 2010 season?

I wonder if a similiar message was posted on the Niners' message board during the 2010 season?

If we had even the slightest chance of attracting a coach like Harbaugh, Id be more in favor of the change. But then again, if we had that chance, we would have found someone 3 years ago. But guys like Harbaugh consistently declined to interview. Remember, Chan was the best choice out of the guys who were willing to come to Buffalo back then. I know that is like saying "She's my hottest cousin" but we are in an even worse position now.

On the other hand, a guy who isn't doing a good job shouldn't be retained in that job simply because you don't want to make a move - that'll burn you as well.

I'd love a QB upgrade, but I'm wondering where that comes from - the draft? Free agency? the draft isn't sttong and even if we get someone can he really contribute and be an upgrade as soon as next year? That's a lot of ifs. I'm also not sure there's going to be much availabe in free agency. Despite my first sentence about keeping a bad person in a job because you don't want to make a change that may be Buffalo's only option for the QB position next year.

On the other hand, a guy who isn't doing a good job shouldn't be retained in that job simply because you don't want to make a move - that'll burn you as well.

I'd love a QB upgrade, but I'm wondering where that comes from - the draft? Free agency? the draft isn't sttong and even if we get someone can he really contribute and be an upgrade as soon as next year? That's a lot of ifs. I'm also not sure there's going to be much availabe in free agency. Despite my first sentence about keeping a bad person in a job because you don't want to make a change that may be Buffalo's only option for the QB position next year.

I dont have any definite answers obviously, but IMO, the solution is much more likely in the draft than in FA. I think Geno Smith, or even Landry Jones, could start for us next year. And while they would certainly have some growing pains, the upgrade would be obvious.

I dont like any of the available vets. Over-priced and over-rated.

Precisely why Vick will be in a Bills uni next year.

Bona fide HC candidates want a few things before coming to a franchise. They need a solid owner who actually keeps tabs, but not a micro-manager. They want a GM who knows what he's doing or they can trust. They need a good QB or a high pick to get their own, with the latter more likely. And of course a competitive compensation package.

Bottom line is they want a reasonable chance to succeed and Buffalo cannot offer that. The Bills can give you an ownership group that's muddled at best, a GM who was retired and isn't the slam dunk personnel guy some said he was, with a QB situation which is a complete dumpster fire. Pay also isn't exactly going rate either.

No one signs up for this many impediments to success. No one at least who might be in demand among other more reputable franchises.

The more I have thought about this, I think Gailey and Wanny get one more year, draft a new QB, LB, WR and see what they do next year. The D is starting to gel and we know Fitz has to go, lets just see what happens. If we could get a top tier HC then I'm all for firing Gailey, but I don't think a top tier HC comes to Buffalo until Ralph is gone.

The optimal situation would be to draft a QB and bring in a competent veteran like the Giants did with Manning and Werner and the Titans are attempting to do with Hasselback and Locker just to cite a couple examples. But this looks like a pretty weak QB class unless somebody distingishes themselves at the combine or workouts prior to the draft.

I think Nix/Whaley have done a decent job to improve the roster through better drafting and a few free agent signings while working to retain good players rather than let them walk as was the standard procedure prior. I wouldn't be upset if they stay on next season.

After some initial optimism the coaching staff has been a real flop. A change is needed but only if it means real improvement. If you're going to fire one second tier coach and staff only to hire another second tier coach and staff it makes no sesne to change anything. Because its not really change.

The problem here is that uncertainty with future ownership is going to keep the top candidates away from considering the job. Why would any high caliber candidate leave a secure and steady gig somewhere else to take a job that might see you out on the street in a year if a new owner decides to go in a different direction? Ralph selling the team while he's still alive would solve both the ownership/relocation issue and the problem with attracting top coaching candidates but that isn't going to happen from what is understood at this point.