Who is Grover Norquist and Why do Republicans Fear Him?

OK, over a decade ago authored, and sold to many politicians, a pledge not to raise taxes . Why does he carry a big stick today? A lot of people said and did a lot of things years ago that do not stand the test of time today; shouldn't politicians make decisions within the context they find themselves today, not yesterday?

OK, over a decade ago authored, and sold to many politicians, a pledge not to raise taxes . Why does he carry a big stick today? A lot of people said and did a lot of things years ago that do not stand the test of time today; shouldn't politicians make decisions within the context they find themselves today, not yesterday?

Google is your friend....

in fighting among con repubs. it's a beautiful thing: http://thecaucus.blo...ts-on-taxes/?hp

It was painfully obvious to anyone paying attention after, and to a lesser degree during, the election that the Republican Party is in the early stages of an internal revolution. Infact, it has already been discussed in several other threads on this forum.

It was painfully obvious to anyone paying attention after, and to a lesser degree during, the election that the Republican Party is in the early stages of an internal revolution. Infact, it has already been discussed in several other threads on this forum.

i wouldn't characterize it as painful. in fact, i can't hear it enough. but i do recall a thread in which many here argued against the need for fundamental change in the party.

What planet do you live on?

a nice, little corner of earth. just scanned the "what repubs need to do" thread. it starts with collectively grow some nuts and mentions steps to socially appeal to a more diverse group which is later refuted. no where do i see a call to cave on tax increases. but i think it's a very fine idea.

a nice, little corner of earth. just scanned the "what repubs need to do" thread. it starts with collectively grow some nuts and mentions steps to socially appeal to a more diverse group which is later refuted. no where do i see a call to cave on tax increases. but i think it's a very fine idea.

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. The thread has a fairly broad agreement about walking back social stances, and embracing social freedoms. It also advocates, with a consensus, a return to real fiscal conservatism.

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. The thread has a fairly broad agreement about walking back social stances, and embracing social freedoms. It also advocates, with a consensus, a return to real fiscal conservatism.

and maybe it's yall's writing. how are "return to real fiscal conservatism" and increasing taxes in any way the same?? i'm not surprised that you would want me to divine something not even remotely implied in that thread from it.

and maybe it's yall's writing. how are "return to real fiscal conservatism" and increasing taxes in any way the same?? i'm not surprised that you would want me to divine something not even remotely implied in that thread from it.

Most quality discussion has revolved around implementing an entirely new tax code, and implemeting spending cuts.

The Norquist pledge is stupid in this day. The only way to get our books in order is with both cuts and tax hikes. As long as the cuts:hike ratio is in the 3 or 4:1 range, I'm good with paying more.

In the almost-deal that Boehner and Obama scuttled, the cuts to hikes ratio was something like that so it's not unrealistic.

Raise rates, lower rates, close loopholes, open loopholes, reform the tax code.... blah, blah, blah.

I want to see some talk about a Flat Tax. I don't know what the rate would be, maybe 10-15%. Maybe you set it up where the poor/ working poor cap at 3-5 %. It occurs to me that the issue is not the rate paid or loopholes, its taking the manipulative power away from the politicians that is the Federal Tax Code. Collect taxes enough to cover the 18% the Government needs to run on historically, maybe collect more short term to pay debt down that we have put on the credit card, then try to get Governemnt down to 10-15% of GDP. Imagine if 5-8% more money was left in our 16T economy.....

The simplification of the tax code or a flat tax will never be implemented because it would hurt lawyers, and congress is essentially a lawyers guild.

and accountants.... that !@#$er billed me for one e-mail, $60, I sent this summer about a refi on an investment property... He's not getting bottle of wine for X-mas this year.... lol