Donald Jones Cannot Catch

Storm Front

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot think of one single impressive catch that Jones has made in his whole career! Can someone enlighten me?

Jones wouldn't be on the taxi squad of any other NFL team.

How about his TD catch this year against the Pats across the middle for if i'm mistaken my bad 69 yard TD in Buffalo this year? How about we get him and the others a QB...

Well, basically this:

And also, Easley did not spend any time playing in 2010 or 2011. If you think it's that easy to get back into game shape after what amounts to a two-year layoff, you should probably join the team as a strength and conditioning coach. In the meantime, Jones is not playing himself off the team. He's contributing, and that's with a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn half the time. I've said before that I think Jones is not elite, but he is far from a major problem on this team. The major problems are #14 and the man speaking into his ear.

I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army and I am calling BS on your "game shape" nonsense. It doesn't take a full season to get in "game shape" and even if you aren't 100%, you certainly can get on the field and run a route every now and again. Obviously Jones makes a catch every now and then and sometimes even a good one. The point is that he misses too many balls that he should catch. You must not be watching if you don't see the drops and flat out misses that this guy makes every single week. The OP didn't say that Fitz was a good QB or that Gailey was calling the right plays. He said that Jones can't catch and I completely agree.

I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army and I am calling BS on your "game shape" nonsense. It doesn't take a full season to get in "game shape" and even if you aren't 100%, you certainly can get on the field and run a route every now and again. Obviously Jones makes a catch every now and then and sometimes even a good one. The point is that he misses too many balls that he should catch. You must not be watching if you don't see the drops and flat out misses that this guy makes every single week. The OP didn't say that Fitz was a good QB or that Gailey was calling the right plays. He said that Jones can't catch and I completely agree.

I wasn't calling into question your fitness credentials. Game shape to me involves the mental repetitions of knowing routes and developing trust with the other role-players on the team. I will bite and say that if Easley was too good to ignore, someone other than a TBD poster would be beating his drum.

My evidence is 4 TD catches and big games against NE, with some steady improvement and a remarkable drive-sustaining grab today. He is never going to be a Calvin Johnson, a DeSean Jackson or even an Ed McCaffrey, but I don't see his upgrade on the roster. If Easley gets his chance here or elsewhere, I'll eat my crow, but I see little basis for that opinion. Good day to you.

I wasn't calling into question your fitness credentials. Game shape to me involves the mental repetitions of knowing routes and developing trust with the other role-players on the team. I will bite and say that if Easley was too good to ignore, someone other than a TBD poster would be beating his drum.

My evidence is 4 TD catches and big games against NE, with some steady improvement and a remarkable drive-sustaining grab today. He is never going to be a Calvin Johnson, a DeSean Jackson or even an Ed McCaffrey, but I don't see his upgrade on the roster. If Easley gets his chance here or elsewhere, I'll eat my crow, but I see little basis for that opinion. Good day to you.

I still agree with the OP. I see the evidence week in and week out. You obviously do not. And again, I believe that Easley has been in this system long enough to know which routes to run. "Mental repititions"? Again I call BS. I have zero faith that this coaching staff is making the right decisions as to who needs to be on the field. And good day to you as well.

I still agree with the OP. I see the evidence week in and week out. You obviously do not. And again, I believe that Easley has been in this system long enough to know which routes to run. "Mental repititions"? Again I call BS. I have zero faith that this coaching staff is making the right decisions as to who needs to be on the field. And good day to you as well.

Ok, you're right, and obviously if we had a better receiver than Donald Jones that Ryan Fitzpatrick would still be incapable of throwing the ball to, we'd be in the playoff hunt. Marcus Easley is probably that guy and the coaching staff just won't give him his shot. Every other NFL team had a chance to sign him until he was promoted from the practice squad a few weeks ago, but what they don't know is that he is the reincarnation of Jerry Rice.

And fitz can't throw, so it really doesn't matter if dj can't catch

Perfectly stated.

D Jones is at the other end of the problem and we all know it.

Fitz cannot lead teams to victories and he has a long resume to prove it.

I cannot think of one single impressive catch that Jones has made in his whole career! Can someone enlighten me?

Jones wouldn't be on the taxi squad of any other NFL team.

The slant that he caught in the 4th quarter to set up our TD was a poorly thrown ball and a very tough catch by any standards.

Um, good 'ol DJ does not have very good body control for an NFL WR. He should have had a TD in the Miami game on a nicely thrown ball but couldn't adjust. He couldn't ajust yesterday either. My big peeve with the Bills WR's is not with DJ, it's with all of them. As a unit they simply do not fight for the ball successfully down field. They mis-time their jumps, they drop balls, they don't lay out for anything/ Just watch the good WR's and how often they come down with timing lobs or jump balls. Our guys never do.

Why is this guy continuosly trotted out onto the playing field? Has he ever caught a big pass in a game? People criticize Fitz hard all the time, but really, who besides SJ does he have to throw to?

Yes, he caught a 4th down pass in double coverage to keep the game winning drive alive vs Oakland last yr, then broke up a game losing int in the endzone on a terribly thrown ball, and then made big catches vs NE the following week. Maybe Fitz wouldn't be getting a pass from so many fans for a year and a half of terrible QB play if he didn't break up that interception.

Um, good 'ol DJ does not have very good body control for an NFL WR. He should have had a TD in the Miami game on a nicely thrown ball but couldn't adjust. He couldn't ajust yesterday either. My big peeve with the Bills WR's is not with DJ, it's with all of them. As a unit they simply do not fight for the ball successfully down field. They mis-time their jumps, they drop balls, they don't lay out for anything/ Just watch the good WR's and how often they come down with timing lobs or jump balls. Our guys never do.

To me this suggests a coaching problem.

Ok, you're right, and obviously if we had a better receiver than Donald Jones that Ryan Fitzpatrick would still be incapable of throwing the ball to, we'd be in the playoff hunt. Marcus Easley is probably that guy and the coaching staff just won't give him his shot. Every other NFL team had a chance to sign him until he was promoted from the practice squad a few weeks ago, but what they don't know is that he is the reincarnation of Jerry Rice.

Never said any of that. I understand that you don't agree with me and that is okay. I agree with you that Fitz can't throw as well. I also agree that Jones has made some good catches. If you read my posts you will see that I have said that. What you seem to be blind to is the catchable balls that he flat out misses or drops. After watching three of those yesterday, I said to my son exactly what the OP said. I have no idea what we have in Easley, but I'm pretty sure of what we have in Jones. Just would like to see Easley get an opportunity, particularly in the red zone . What have we got to lose? A playoff spot?

How about his TD catch this year against the Pats across the middle for if i'm mistaken my bad 69 yard TD in Buffalo this year? How about we get him and the others a QB...

I always love arguments that are, essentially, "if you take away all the great plays this guy has made, he sucks!" :lol:

Donald Jones is flat out awful. I cant stand him. He's slow, not elusive, and cant really catch. He's a #5 WR at best, and trotting out him as our no. 2 WR is a slap in the face. The guy is garbage, and represenrs everything wrong with the team.Taking PS level players and casting them into starting roles.

I like Donald Jones.

Me too!! Is he a great number 2? No. Could he be upgraded? Definitely. Does he suck? IMO, not even close. Seems like every other pass fitz throws nowadays, the receiver has to jump, dive or extend both arms as high as they can reach in order to catch it. He makes the term "run after the catch" very hard to do and usually very painful. And he's just bad on 3rd down. Jones is not the issue.