Spiller 4th Quarter Carries

HeatsPix

Sure, he's not a cure-all. But is there anyone on team that you'd rather have with the ball in their hands?

It depends on the situation...

4th and 1 I don't want Spiller carrying the ball. 3rd and 10 in a 3 WR set I'd rather have FJ back there picking up the blitz.

There are lots of situations in which Spiller is absolutely the best guy to give the ball to - but that doesn't mean it's all the time.

Sure, he's not a cure-all. But is there anyone on team that you'd rather have with the ball in their hands?

No, I agree he's under-utilized. But the amount of moaning and wailing is way out of proportion to the reality, imo.

It takes a brilliant offensive mind to take a 7.6 ypc runner, and lose.

7.6 ypc is historic proportions, folks.

What kind of offensive mind does it take to create an historic 7.6 ypc runner?

I guess I was just pointing out that the guy is not some sort of panacea that cures everything.

There's dozens of people on this board repeatedly screeching about his touches, as if all we have to do is get him the ball and things will magically be great; but that's just not how it works.

If everybody isn't doing their jobs, you can give him the ball as much as you want but still end up with 4 touches for 0 yards.

I can't speak for everybody else but I am probably one of those people who you are referring to. I personally have not been screaming for him to be getting more touches....I have been screaming for him to be getting more carries.

I doubt there is anybody who is thinking that things will magically be great.....but I'm sure there are dozens who are thinking that things will not only be better if CJ gets more carries, but will be a great deal more exciting to watch.

As it happens.....in this particular game....when CJ was given the opportunity to run the ball, things did start looking a lot better.

(13:10) 28-C.Spiller up the middle to IND 43 for 11 yards (50-J.Freeman; 41-A.Bethea).

1-10-IND 43 (12:29) (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller left end pushed ob at IND 30 for 13 yards (50-J.Freeman).

1-10-IND 30 (11:57) (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller up the middle to IND 27 for 3 yards (20-D.Butler; 95-F.Moala).

2-7-IND 27 (11:10) (Run formation) 22-F.Jackson up the middle to IND 30 for -3 yards (50-J.Freeman).

3-10-IND 30 (10:23) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick sacked at IND 34 for -4 yards (98-R.Mathis).

1-10-BUF 22 (1:06) (Run formation) 28-C.Spiller up the middle pushed ob at IND 37 for 41 yards (41-A.Bethea).

1-10-IND 37 (:37) (Run formation) 28-C.Spiller up the middle to IND 31 for 6 yards (53-K.Conner).

2-4-IND 31 (15:00) (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller left end pushed ob at IND 29 for 2 yards (58-M.Fokou).

3-2-IND 29 (14:15) (Run formation) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to 13-St.Johnson to IND 15 for 14 yards (28-T.Zbikowski).

1-10-IND 15 (13:33) (Run formation) 28-C.Spiller right end to IND 13 for 2 yards (50-J.Freeman). BUF-38-C.McIntyre was injured during the play. He is Out.

2-8-IND 13 (13:02) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to 19-D.Jones to IND 1 for 12 yards (28-T.Zbikowski).

1-1-IND 1 (12:17) (Run formation) 71-S.Young and 95-K.Williams reported in as eligible. 22-F.Jackson up the middle to IND 1 for no gain (95-F.Moala; 53-K.Conner).

2-1-IND 1 (11:37) (Run formation) 71-S.Young and 95-K.Williams reported in as eligible. 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to 85-L.Smith for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

There were two other drives where CJ was given the opportunity to run which didn't go anywhere. His getting more carries won't be a magic bullet for the team.....but it is obvious that it will be better for it.

Yea, he is only averaging 7.4 YPC.... keep him on the bench in the 4th and limit his touches to 15

dont you see..

chan is keeping his carries short so he can pass more with Fitz

It all part of Chan's master plan ...not using his best players is the new way of winning in the NFL. :wallbash:

dont you see..

chan is keeping his carries short so he can pass more with Fitz

It all part of Chan's master plan ...not using his best players is the new way of winning in the NFL. :wallbash:

But we're losing. :unsure:

What kind of offensive mind does it take to create an historic 7.6 ypc runner?

The answer is, not applicable. Spiller gets most of his yards on vision, balance and acceleration. Just watch FJ in comparison.

BTW, to illustrate my point...in his heyday, when did FJ average 7.6? Right, he never did.