Woman gives the finger to the Tomb of Unknown Soldier

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly was meant to be a joke.

But it was a bad one....a VERY bad one. Terribly bad.

Oh...she was on company time when she pulled her little stunt. That makes it a fireable offense. Period.

From the article...

During a work trip to Arlington National Cemetery, Lindsey Stone, of Plymouth, squatted next to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, sticking up her middle finger and pretending to scream next to a sign that asked for “Silence & Respect.”

Edited by RkFast

I agree looks like poor judgement on locale not deliberate mocking of unknown soldier, which makes no sense. She works for a good cause , cut her some slack.

Lol. Yeah, and Hitler "did a lot of good for Germany" too.

No, I'm not comparing her to Hitler, you moron.

Like DCTom said earlier... This is such a "faux issue." Yeah, she posted something tasteless... Yet...It got traction... Ignore it and it goes away.

It is our American birthright to fight authority. Judging from the picture... She didn't intend to disrespect the soldiers... Just the authority sign... Which leads me to the next question: "Do they even need signs like this?" Here are these soldiers fighting and dieing for everyones freedom and then some are ordering people to be respectful... You can't order people to be respectful and silent... That respect is built on other things than "authoritative decree." Afterall, it is the American rebel that is born in us...

Here is a question. If she had PhotoShopped out the "Arlington National Cemetery" words... Would it be as hurtful? Did she even see those words?

By no means am I justifying the stupid thing she pulled... But come on... The other side of the argument is insane in a supposedly "free" country. Too much drama and too many hurt feelings. She said she lacked judgement and said she was sorry. I think it was sincere because she didn't put and caveats on that apology...

Just my 2 cents. I would rather error on the side of being lenient than being authoritative in this situation...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yes she should be fired. What one does in personal life does reflect in professional life. If she doesn't have the values of her employers then her employers should have the right to fire her.

If I got a DUI, did like this person did, or many other offenses I would be fired from my job, even if it is not job related.

Her employers have the right of free association, just like every other citizen. If they decided that they no longer wish to associate with a person who behaves in this way, then they shouldn't have to. The job belongs to the employer, not the employee, and she has no right to it.

I'm not sure if I would fire her over this issue myself. It would really depend on a balance of how valuable of an employee she was, and what her skill set is, and if her continued employment would effect the bottom line. My guess is that I likely wouldn't let her go, but would have a serious conversation with her about her decision making, letting her know that going forward this sort of thing would be 100% unacceptable. If her current employer decides to let her go over the incident I won't lose and sleep over it, however.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I agree. It must suck to go through life with no sense of humor.

Please show examples of racism by PPP members since Obama became President.

Like DCTom said earlier... This is such a "faux issue." Yeah, she posted something tasteless... Yet...It got traction... Ignore it and it goes away.

It is our American birthright to fight authority. Judging from the picture... She didn't intend to disrespect the soldiers... Just the authority sign... Which leads me to the next question: "Do they even need signs like this?" Here are these soldiers fighting and dieing for everyones freedom and then some are ordering people to be respectful... You can't order people to be respectful and silent... That respect is built on other things than "authoritative decree." Afterall, it is the American rebel that is born in us...

Here is a question. If she had PhotoShopped out the "Arlington National Cemetery" words... Would it be as hurtful? Did she even see those words?

By no means am I justifying the stupid thing she pulled... But come on... The other side of the argument is insane in a supposedly "free" country. Too much drama and too many hurt feelings. She said she lacked judgement and said she was sorry. I think it was sincere because she didn't put and caveats on that apology...

Just my 2 cents. I would rather error on the side of being lenient than being authoritative in this situation...

Going to some of the most sacred ground in this Country and acting like a total !@#$ is an example of good Americam values?

You're a !@#$ing moron.

Please show examples of racism by PPP members since Obama became President.

Going to some of the most sacred ground in this Country and acting like a total !@#$ is an example of good Americam values?

You're a !@#$ing moron.

You just don't see the humor in it. Maybe we should be making JFK jokes today, eh?

You just don't see the humor in it. Maybe we should be making JFK jokes today, eh?

LOL....True true.

Seriously, I DO see the...attempted.....humor in it. Doesnt make it right. The thing about a good offensive joke is the same principle that applies to any joke. Timing. And this hole had some REALLY bad timing.

I get why some people are offended by this, but I don't get why some of you feel such a strong desire to see someone suffer for it. .

Agreed. Conversely, I don't get the passionate defense of this stupid girl either. She was fired becaues of perception and public pressure. Welcome to the 24x7 media generation.

Agreed. Conversely, I don't get the passionate defense of this stupid girl either. She was fired becaues of perception and public pressure. Welcome to the 24x7 media generation.

I think the passionate defense is a reaction to to overzealous persecution by holier-than-thou, self righteous types who want to take a situation where, if you were there, you'd probably say "not cool" & move on, and make a federal case out of it.

Sure but it's deeper than that. It's not public pressure -- it's organized public pressure by hack-jobs looking to push copy.