What happened to acting like a professional on and off the field?

BuffaloPride

Last night was my wifes birthday and to celebrate I took her to Tempo, the restaurant the Bills brass used to court Mario Williams. I had planned this for weeks and wanted it to be very special. Everything was going as planned until a certain member of the Bills came in with his wife/gf and a small child. He didn't have a reservation. I know this because i was seated behind the hostess and could hear the conversation. He told her who he was and who he played for and sure enough he got seated right next to me. There is a dress code at Tempo but apparently he didn't care. He was dressed in shorts, sneakers, a Bills sweatshirt that looked like it needed to be washed and he was wearing a baseball cap. I didn't have a problem with his attire but after about 15 minutes the little girl began screaming. This went on for the entire time he was there. The people in our section were obviously annoyed and began asking to be moved to another room. This didn't phase the player or the woman he was with as neither of them attended to the child. When the hostess seated me she asked if this was a special occasion and I told her it was my wifes birthday. When the other patrons were seated in my section I could hear her ask the same question. Most of the people were there celebrating a brthday or anniversary only to have it ruined by this players lack of class and consideration. I happen to admire this player for his talent on the field but I was disgusted by his behavior. Marv Levy taught his players to act like professionals on and off the field. God how I miss the glory days.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was my wifes birthday and to celebrate I took her to Tempo, the restaurant the Bills brass used to court Mario Williams. I had planned this for weeks and wanted it to be very special. Everything was going as planned until a certain member of the Bills came in with his wife/gf and a small child. He didn't have a reservation. I know this because i was seated behind the hostess and could hear the conversation. He told her who he was and who he played for and sure enough he got seated right next to me. There is a dress code at Tempo but apparently he didn't care. He was dressed in shorts, sneakers, a Bills sweatshirt that looked like it needed to be washed and he was wearing a baseball cap. I didn't have a problem with his attire but after about 15 minutes the little girl began screaming. This went on for the entire time he was there. The people in our section were obviously annoyed and began asking to be moved to another room. This didn't phase the player or the woman he was with as neither of them attended to the child. When the hostess seated me she asked if this was a special occasion and I told her it was my wifes birthday. When the other patrons were seated in my section I could hear her ask the same question. Most of the people were there celebrating a brthday or anniversary only to have it ruined by this players lack of class and consideration. I happen to admire this player for his talent on the field but I was disgusted by his behavior. Marv Levy taught his players to act like professionals on and off the field. God how I miss the glory days.

The issue you raise has nothing to do with a particular professional athlete and his inconsiderate attitude and lack of respect for others. The attitude that you described is a prevailing attitude that happens in all facets of life. Go to a game and see how a large segment of the fans act like fools with no regard for other people who want to be able to watch the game. Go to a movie theatre or even a restaurant and observe the rudeness with thei cell phones. A pet peeve of mine is loud cell phone talking in the midst of strangers. I don't want to hear this nonsensical chatter. Have you observed people driving? Honking the horn, driving like a fool, giving the finger etc. etc.

I don't want to sound like a crank but what you described in your post has little to do with the profession the person works in but it is a reflection of the lowering the standard of civility and common courtesy. Just reading some posts on this board on the topic of behavior of fans at a game I am stunned and appalled at the level of acceptance of a lot of ignorant behavior.

Yeah, I can say after working for 5+ years in a grocery store that this is just the prevailing method of parenting now. Kid cries or whines or screams, parents ignore it until it stops. I don't know who came up with it or why, but I would like to give that guy a nice kick to the gonads.

I understand that as a parent you don't want to placate a child every single time they cry or cause a fuss because that results in them doing it more often to get the attention. You can let them cry all you want in your own home, vehicle, etc. But please for the love of God will you shut your child up in public and stop ruining everyone's day?

You are aware how those guys did act off the field, right? Only difference is no social media and message boards to gripe on. Who was the player? You gotta tell now after your little story.

This "player" sounds like an arrogant, first class jerk who was brought up without any class. He will probably be broke once he is a few years out of the league. If he is lucky, he will be able to afford dinner at Wendy's or Burger King, where he will go in his shorts and Bills sweatshirt in a few years. He will have 10 kids, but no woman with him. His clothes will fit in and no one will care who he once was. Of course, human nature is such that by then, he will probably try to distinguish himself by dressing in a suit and tie to let everyone know he is/was once important.

I don't want to sound like a crank but what you described in your post has little to do with the profession the person works in but it is a reflection of the lowering the standard of civility and common courtesy.

You're not a crank. Well stated comments re: a much broader problem.

Yeah, I can say after working for 5+ years in a grocery store that this is just the prevailing method of parenting now. Kid cries or whines or screams, parents ignore it until it stops. I don't know who came up with it or why, but I would like to give that guy a nice kick to the gonads.

I understand that as a parent you don't want to placate a child every single time they cry or cause a fuss because that results in them doing it more often to get the attention. You can let them cry all you want in your own home, vehicle, etc. But please for the love of God will you shut your child up in public and stop ruining everyone's day?

I have a lot of sympathy for parents in grocery stores. You get home from work, you're typically on a mission - gotta buy some stuff and get home and feed the fam. It's very hard to deal with a child having a temper tantrum in that time frame, work fast and get out may be the only option.

Otherwise, there used to be an unwritten law that screaming or crying kids got removed from the situation - either temporarily until they calmed down or their parents just left, so as to not disturb other people. It would be nice if that law would go back on the books. On the other hand, whenever we went to restaurants when my daughter was small, we took along a "bag of tricks" that she could play with - coloring books, quiet toys, and helped her find something to amuse herself. If they just expect the kid to sit there ignored by both adults and with nothing to do, that hasn't occurred since the '90s - the 1890s.

I have a lot of sympathy for parents in grocery stores. You get home from work, you're typically on a mission - gotta buy some stuff and get home and feed the fam. It's very hard to deal with a child having a temper tantrum in that time frame, work fast and get out may be the only option.

Otherwise, there used to be an unwritten law that screaming or crying kids got removed from the situation - either temporarily until they calmed down or their parents just left, so as to not disturb other people. It would be nice if that law would go back on the books. On the other hand, whenever we went to restaurants when my daughter was small, we took along a "bag of tricks" that she could play with - coloring books, quiet toys, and helped her find something to amuse herself. If they just expect the kid to sit there ignored by both adults and with nothing to do, that hasn't occurred since the '90s - the 1890s.

Yeah. Still, some parents don't seem to understand that hungry, tired kids don't want to be dragged around on errands at dinner time. Frankly, there are many people that don't seem to be able to think objectively period. Common sense isn't very common any more.

Yeah. Still, some parents don't seem to understand that hungry, tired kids don't want to be dragged around on errands at dinner time. Frankly, there are many people that don't seem to be able to think objectively period. Common sense isn't very common any more.

Yeah, people should probably delegate the child care to the other spouse, the one who is also working... or maybe to the nanny that they can't afford. It's just plain common sense.

That's why those 7" movie players were invented. Add some cool headphones and goldfish and everyone has a peaceful dinner.

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. There are plenty of stories about Jimbo, Thurman, and the crew.

But I do feel your pain. Wish that hadn't happened to you at Tempo.

Here's a question: why not name names? Public shaming means something!

How about taking care of the kid's needs first? You know, like a parent?

Oh man.... really? Maybe going to the grocery store is taking care of the child's needs? Is it that hard to imagine that people may not have enough options, and are just trying to keep things together? And that children, for all their joy and wonder, are unpredictable and sometimes create chaos? (Please note, I'm not talking about fancy restaurants here, but grocery stores.)

Maybe it looks different from your Olympian heights of superiority. Wait till the rock rolls back down, and look again.