RIP Jeff Kaye - NFL Films, WKBW, WBEN

One of my fellow "old timers" :) may be able to help me out....

Was it Jeff Kaye who was part of the Bills broadcast team for a year or two along with Van Miller and Stan Barron when they went by the title of "Van, Stan, and the Fan"?

Edited by LabattBlue

Was it Jeff Kaye who was part of the Bills broadcast team for a year or two along with Van Miller and Stan Barron when they went by the title of "Van, Stan, and the Fan"?

i think your right,the old days had chuck healy and dick rifenburg

yes, you are correct, Edited by dwight in philly

RIP. I remember listening to his War of the Worlds and also his "Paul McCartney Is Alive and Well . . . Maybe" going over all the Paul-is-dead clues. Great stuff.

And right now I'm feeling about 1,000 years old.

How about al meltzer

i think he came aboard as a result of a station change as i recall, cant quite recollect, but listening to van since since 1960, i remember it being an adjustment. the ironic thing is whenever they show OJ going over the 2000 mark against the jets, it is al meltzer calling it, not van.. Edited by dwight in philly

Yes it was a station change. WKBW took over the broadcasts in the early 70s and it was Al Meltzer doing play-by-play along with Ed Rutkowski and Rick Azar. Rutkowski was the primary color man well before he became county exec. WBEN eventually got the games back during Chuck Knox's tenure and did it them with Van Miller and Stan Barron (r.i.p.). Jeff Kaye came in for a while and it was Van, Stan, and Fan. They also did have a "fan" at one point as a local guy Don Gilbert joined in for a season or two.

Yes it was a station change. WKBW took over the broadcasts in the early 70s and it was Al Meltzer doing play-by-play along with Ed Rutkowski and Rick Azar. Rutkowski was the primary color man well before he became county exec. WBEN eventually got the games back during Chuck Knox's tenure and did it them with Van Miller and Stan Barron (r.i.p.). Jeff Kaye came in for a while and it was Van, Stan, and Fan. They also did have a "fan" at one point as a local guy Don Gilbert joined in for a season or two.

i am old enough to remember don gilbert.. he played QB at UB in the early 60's, backed up john stofa at UB , stofa later played a bit with the dolphins..

Anyone remember Danny used to play that little 3 note chime to indicate a replay was coming on the scoreboard? Hard to believe that in 1973 that scoreboard was state of the art, we've gotten quite spoiled in 40 years.

. It was such fun for me back then. I remember alot of couples and of course OJ.

. It was such fun for me back then. I remember alot of couples and of course OJ.

it was very nice back then, as a kid going to war memorial, transitioning to rich was exciting. the early days of rich were very much a pleasure. tailgating, drinking, but not out of control, as it is now. we all are aware what attending games at the ralph has turned into and not much you can do about it, but yea, the memories are good..

it was very nice back then, as a kid going to war memorial, transitioning to rich was exciting. the early days of rich were very much a pleasure. tailgating, drinking, but not out of control, as it is now. we all are aware what attending games at the ralph has turned into and not much you can do about it, but yea, the memories are good..

Not any Tailgating at the Rockpile! Obviously there were no parking lots but the City used to really enforce "open container laws." There were some run down bars around Jefferson/Best, but many of us got on a Cottrell Bus, from a "neighborhood" tavern and had our pre/post game party on the way to/from the game.

Living in BUF, I grew up listening to KB. Living in S VA., I used to enjoy KB Radio at night. A touch of home and more than a few good memories. Once they changed programming format, forget about it. It's lunacy without the laughs! R.I.P Jeff.

it was very nice back then, as a kid going to war memorial, transitioning to rich was exciting. the early days of rich were very much a pleasure. tailgating, drinking, but not out of control, as it isp now. we all are aware what attending games at the ralph has turned into and not much you can do about it, but yea, the memories are good..

That is so strange because while the new stadium was great I saw so many more fights there in the 70 s Edited by seq004