Just got back from "Lincoln"

dayman

Also enjoyed it. Team of Rivals was better and this was an abridged adaptation. Very little about the war.

Abridged is being kind. It's really almost nothing to do at all with her book. Goodwin is mentioned for publicity sake only, imo. She does very little on the passage of the amendment and nothing at all about all the machinations the movie presents. Speilburg is historian himself, taking the facts we have and presenting them in an original theory that may or may not be totally true. He takes one part of the enormous period of the war and makes a masterpiece, IMO. The movie was awesome, beyond stunning, Lewis better win the Oscar or the process is broken. Is there any evidence Lincoln wanted the amendment passed before the war was over because he thought it couldn't be passed once the wartime emergency had passed? Goodwin never makes that argument, it's not in her book.

Further, them movie, like many movies reflects the age they were made in. The passag of the thirteenth amendment was used because it reflects in many way the passage of Obamacare, the party of no and the racism of today that is so much more whispered but was right out in the open in 1865

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not buying that it is mere theory that the basic story of the passage quickly before war is made up...seems pretty logical and while I don't know much about the history behind it I accept it as history and thus now make it history :)

Edited by TheNewBills

Abridged is being kind. It's really almost nothing to do at all with her book. Goodwin is mentioned for publicity sake only, imo. She does very little on the passage of the amendment and nothing at all about all the machinations the movie presents. Speilburg is historian himself, taking the facts we have and presenting them in an original theory that may or may not be totally true. He takes one part of the enormous period of the war and makes a masterpiece, IMO. The movie was awesome, beyond stunning, Lewis better win the Oscar or the process is broken. Is there any evidence Lincoln wanted the amendment passed before the war was over because he thought it couldn't be passed once the wartime emergency had passed? Goodwin never makes that argument, it's not in her book.

Further, them movie, like many movies reflects the age they were made in. The passag of the thirteenth amendment was used because it reflects in many way the passage of Obamacare, the party of no and the racism of today that is so much more whispered but was right out in the open in 1865

Pretty sure this has been a movie Spielberg has been trying to get made for close to two decades. I doubt very much he chose it because he wanted to pimp the ACA.

Pretty sure this has been a movie Spielberg has been trying to get made for close to two decades. I doubt very much he chose it because he wanted to pimp the ACA.

On 60 minutes he said he purposefully did not release it until after the election to avoid assumptions such as that.

When you cut and paste (first paragraph) you should credit the source.

I'm not buying that it is mere theory that the basic story of the passage quickly before war is made up...seems pretty logical and while I don't know much about the history behind it I accept it as history and thus now make it history :)

Oh, now, "made up" is what a theory is. Goodwin makes no claim on this at all. The movie also includes the peace negotions as a factor getting the the conservative republicans on board, no proof of that, and that Mary Lincoln made Lincoln get his feet dirty to save his son from military service...highly speculative, but maybe good history. That's what history is, theory of what happened. We know the amendment was passed, Speilberg offers an interesting, thought provoking and very reasonable theory of the process. But he has to add some fiction into it to make it work, I have no problem with that

When you cut and paste (first paragraph) you should credit the source.

Thanks! I wrote that, you think it's so good that Joe Cool [me] had to of cut and pasted. :)

Oh, now, "made up" is what a theory is. Goodwin makes no claim on this at all. The movie also includes the peace negotions as a factor getting the the conservative republicans on board, no proof of that, and that Mary Lincoln made Lincoln get his feet dirty to save his son from military service...highly speculative, but maybe good history. That's what history is, theory of what happened. We know the amendment was passed, Speilberg offers an interesting, thought provoking and very reasonable theory of the process. But he has to add some fiction into it to make it work, I have no problem with that

Thanks! I wrote that, you think it's so good that Joe Cool [me] had to of cut and pasted. :)

No you !@#$ing idiot, you've barely ever typed a whole sentence without a grammatical error or a mis- spelled word. Look at the first paragraph of that post and then look at the second one. The second one is all you. The first one is someone else's work.

No you !@#$ing idiot, you've barely ever typed a whole sentence without a grammatical error or a mis- spelled word. Look at the first paragraph of that post and then look at the second one. The second one is all you. The first one is someone else's work.

:lol: that's what I was thinking when I first saw the post.

Man I lol'ed

:lol: that's what I was thinking when I first saw the post.

Man I lol'ed

I read one sentence and thought wow, Ducky has an accomplishment. I read two and sort of suspected something wasn't kosher. After three, I knew it wasn't his work.

I read one sentence and thought wow, Ducky has an accomplishment. I read two and sort of suspected something wasn't kosher. After three, I knew it wasn't his work.

If one-thousand Duck Dodgers pounding away on one-thousand type writers can eventually reproduce Shakespeare, then certainly even a monkey could put 6 complete sentences together.

I have not heard anyone except you point to the rushed passage before the war ending as being speculation

Have you heard anyone support it as fact? If you have I'll admit I am wrong, as I may be, but I think it's an original theory, but probably true. I'm just saying Speilberg is advancing a theory that very well may be true but it sure as he'll is not in Goodwins book, it's just not there

Yes, but your are a a dumb person, and I'm a guy who is smart who just types fast and makes a few typing errors which makes a moron like you feel empowered to at least say something. You are still trash

Wiping morning coffee from my monitor...