Let me be the first to say it

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recession within 2 years. The media is burying way too much negative news in the market. Don't ask me for a F- ing link, this is my opinion base on my observations.

I don't disagree with this prediction, but can you elaborate? What developments have you identified that will drive our economy into recession?

The media's been looking the other way on the economy for 4 years. Anyone who remembers W's first term, and was paying attention, remembers an ongoing national crisis over 6% unemployment. Then when we went into recovery all the talk was of a jobless recovery. And acknowledgement of the reality that the recession wasn't of Bush's doing was quickly dismissed by people like Brian Williams by explaining that right or wrong we attribute what happens to who's in office at the time. Funny how just a few years later that standard & those concerns have changed so dramatically.

It's a complex issue to be sure. The US still stumbles on housing, and the international fiscal crises in countries that face insolvency... As I have said in the fast, there is no easy money asset bubble on the horizon, and since that is what has been core to our economy since the late 90's, I don't see widespread growth to be excited about. The only boom I could see is in energy, but does that energize individual consumer and pad they're pocket books so the spend slot, or does that just make energy companies benefit.....

I don't think there will be a recession, but I still see a slow, steady economy over the 4-5 years... I have maintained tis slow growth rate is "paying penance" for both private and public sector folly for over a decade +....

I don't think we ever really got out of the last recession

Bailouts, TARP, Stimulous®, QE1, QE2, Operation Twist, QE-Infinity, and 0% loans from the Fed to the banks were short sighted quick fixes to restore the appearance of growth.

The structural problems have not been addressed and in the long run, those short term solutions will be a long term negative

But Americans have short attention spans and our illustrious leaders see only so far as the next election cycle.

Another Recession? How about just the same Depression

Edited by /dev/null

I don't think we ever really got out of the last recession

Bailouts, TARP, Stimulous®, QE1, QE2, Operation Twist, QE-Infinity, and 0% loans from the Fed to the banks were short sighted quick fixes to restore the appearance of growth.

The structural problems have not been addressed and in the long run, those short term solutions will be a long term negative

But Americans have short attention spans and our illustrious leaders see only so far as the next election cycle.

Another Recession? How about just the same Depression

All of those things are like cocaine. You do some and damn do you feel great for a bit but when it wears off depression sets in. Or at least that's what I've read about cocaine. 0:)

War is good for the economy.

If the Keynesians and neo-Keynesians were right, and war was truely good for the economy, the most profitable thing any two military allies could do would be to dedicate 20% of GDP to building massive navies, have both navies meet out in the middle of the ocean, remove all personel, and proceed to sink every single ship.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

If the Keynesians and neo-Keynesians were right, and war was truely good for the economy, the most profitable thing any two military allies could do would be to dedicate 20% of GDP to building massive navies, have both navies meet out in the middle of the ocean, remove all personel, and proceed to sink every single ship.

I'm stealing this.

And I'd pay good money to watch that.

You're wrong. All of you. Wrong.

The Barack Obama Middle-Out Economic Growth Plan is in full swing. We're staring down both barrels of the most exciting economic uptick the country has ever seen.

http://online.wsj.co...cleTabs=article

U.S. companies are scaling back investment plans at the fastest pace since the recession, signaling more trouble for the economic recovery.

Half of the nation's 40 biggest publicly traded corporate spenders have announced plans to curtail capital expenditures this year or next, according to a review by The Wall Street Journal of securities filings and conference calls.

At the same time, exports are slowing or falling to such critical markets as China and the euro zone as the global economy downshifts, creating another drag on firms' expansion plans.

Corporate executives say they are slowing or delaying big projects to protect profits amid easing demand and rising uncertainty. Uncertainty around the U.S. elections and federal budget policies also appear among the factors driving the investment pullback since midyear. It is unclear whether Washington will avert the so-called fiscal cliff, tax increases and spending cuts scheduled to begin Jan. 2.

Thank god it's not because it's not like morality would keep them from doing it.

You guys are too biased to come up with a decent reason. Where's Magox when you need him?

The conditions underlying this economy are not unlike the 1930s. The private sectore Debt/Gdp ratio was 240% in 1929, and it was 300% in 2008. The economy contracted from 1929-33 then, and it's been fairly stagnant for the past four years. As Richard Koo says, this is a balance sheet recession, and households may now be done repairing their balance sheets. Barring unforeseen chaos externally, the US economy should grow faster than it has the past couple years.

Regarding BO and his promises, my take is he had to be re-elected so that he could force the bottom 90% to pay the major part of any deficit reduction. While he feigns support for the middle, the dems money comes from Wall Street, and they want SS and Medicare cut, not their taxes.

That's why I don't vote for the major parties, it's all a show. Keep us all fighting each other for the crumbs.